Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 13:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Dilemma - Would you retake?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Should I retake the GMAT?

• 0% [0]
  • 100% [3]
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Dilemma - Would you retake? [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2013, 10:35
Hi there -

I've had a bit of a dilemma on my mind for the past year or so and the time has finally come to make a decision. Basically, I'm wondering if I need to retake the GMAT or not.

Context:
Took the GMAT July 2010 - scored a 710 : V40 / Q47, AWA 6
Retook the GMAT July 2012 (because retakes never hurt, right?) - scored a 710 : V41 / Q47, AWA 6, IR 2

Even though the scores are about the same, I'm afraid that the IR 2 will look bad, even if I just submit the first score (if that's even possible). Am I making this out to be a bigger deal than it is?

Biggest reason I am asking is because I currently find myself unemployed and looking for a job (Was working full-time to launch a startup for the past 2 years and funding dried up). I could use this time to retake the GMAT a 3rd time... or I could learn a new language, travel a bit, put extra energy into the job search, etc. I'm planning on applying for 2014, though if I find a particularly cool opportunity, I could be persuaded to delay my application until 2015 at the latest. (I'll be 30 on Christmas, and I already feel like I'm at the top end age range for a number of my target schools).

Many thanks for the help,

GMAT Confused
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.1
WE: Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 40

Re: GMAT Dilemma - Would you retake? [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2013, 10:48
I had a 710 with low IR score and I retook it, and I'm glad that I did.

however, my 710 and low IR score was mostly due to bad timing. I left questions in every section unanswered, and about half of IR like that.

If timing is your issue, I think you can practice timing and score better. But for me, even though I practiced about twice as long for the second one as for the first, I didn't get a higher percentage of questions right - the only increase in score came from simply answering more.
VP
VP
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 448 [0], given: 454

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Dilemma - Would you retake? [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2013, 13:42
GMATConfused2013 wrote:
Hi there -

I've had a bit of a dilemma on my mind for the past year or so and the time has finally come to make a decision. Basically, I'm wondering if I need to retake the GMAT or not.

Context:
Retook the GMAT July 2012 (because retakes never hurt, right?) - scored a 710 : V41 / Q47, AWA 6, IR 2

Even though the scores are about the same, I'm afraid that the IR 2 will look bad, even if I just submit the first score (if that's even possible). Am I making this out to be a bigger deal than it is?

Biggest reason I am asking is because I currently find myself unemployed and looking for a job (Was working full-time to launch a startup for the past 2 years and funding dried up). I could use this time to retake the GMAT a 3rd time... or I could learn a new language, travel a bit, put extra energy into the job search, etc. I'm planning on applying for 2014, though if I find a particularly cool opportunity, I could be persuaded to delay my application until 2015 at the latest. (I'll be 30 on Christmas, and I already feel like I'm at the top end age range for a number of my target schools).

GMAT Confused

Tough situation. Especially, when you don't know how schools are evaluating IR.

IR 2 is certainly a red flag. Although, it seems you have peaked on your test score, I will hesitantly say a yes to a retake because you plan to apply next year. Who knows, IR may be slightly more important factor then! If you feel you have a very competitive profile otherwise you might skip it. But, from the information you provided, it seems you're gonna do some explaining in the optional essay anyways. So, my rec. stands.

+ you can't submit just one score. Actually, you submit score reports and not just scores. The score report contains all the test scores for the ones that you have taken in the last 5 years.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Dilemma - Would you retake? [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2013, 20:51
Thanks for the suggestion. I know exactly how it happened... I was actually scheduled to retake the test in early June but had to move it back to mid-July due to some travel. Unfortunately this meant that IR was not at all incorporated into my studying and I froze up when I saw it (answered fewer than half of the questions in the section).

So far it sounds like the answer is a tentative yes, though I'm confused... because in the poll at the top, 2 people voted No while in the comments section 2 said Yes.

I know that they can view 5 scores on the report, but I remember that when I last applied, they only asked for one score. My assumption is that they go off of the score you give them and they only use the score report to verify that it is accurate (rather than scrutinizing the entire report).
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 560 [0], given: 30

Re: GMAT Dilemma - Would you retake? [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2013, 01:06
Expert's post
GMATConfused2013 wrote:
Hi there -

Context:

GMAT Confused

Unless you are SURE you can get 20-30 points higher, no. The IR doesn't really affect your admissions chances that much, and you are perhaps better off spending more time to put that energy into the job search, because finding a better job will make a bigger difference.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Re: GMAT Dilemma - Would you retake?   [#permalink] 09 Jul 2013, 01:06