Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 14:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Disaster - GMATPREP 710-Actual test 570 - Advise needed

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

GMAT Disaster - GMATPREP 710-Actual test 570 - Advise needed [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2012, 15:04
Hi All,

Background -

I am from India, Engineer, around 6 year of experience in IT.

This is my progress report on tests.

MGMAT TEST 1 - 680
MGMAT TEST 2 - 700
MGMAT TEST 3 - 710
MGMAT TEST 4 - 720

GMATPREP 1 - 700 (Q49, V36) (three weeks before the test)
GMATPREP 2 - 710 (Q50, V36) (10 days before the test)
GMATPREP 1 (OLD GMATPREP software.) - 710 (Q49, V37) (four days before the test)

GMAT Focus tests: Test 1: 47-50
Test 2: 46-49

I took test on Wednesday and scored a mere 570 (Q45, v25). Tears rolled down my cheeks as I saw the score.

I thought I will never ever take the test again. But my instincts are not allowing me to let go.

I spent around 14 months (tho not continuously) preparing for this test. I decided not to miss any concept. All the hard work went into drain. I am right where I was 1 and half years ago.

Till today I am not able to come to terms with what happed. I am not able to sleep and am not able to concentrate anything.

I am sounding emotional but I am partly/may be mostly to blame for this disaster. The night before the test I had sore throat and could not sleep properly. My legs were weak and kind of numb. Generally, these are the symptoms of fever for me. So, I took an antibiotic and kept on taking Tylenol every 4 hours till morning. I woke up in the morning and felt ok. But I contemplated few times whether to take the test or not. But then decided to get the exam off my back and decided to take the test. I swallowed a couple of Tylenols and an antibiotic and went to take the test. AWA went well. Then I raised my hand but the proctor did not respond. I had to say ‘excuse me’ to grab his attention. Then he came and by the time 2 minutes of my break was already over. Then went out grabbed the restroom keys from the receptionist (that’s how it was in this center) and then went to rest room. In the break I drank red-bull and took a Tylenol again and told myself, I have to give my best. I went back and tried to do the palm scan. We tried three times with different hands but the scanner could not verify me. It verified me on the fourth time. By the time I entered and started to write the Quant section, 5 mins and 45 seconds of the quant section had already elapsed. Then I stared to rush and the result is reflected in the score.

Then came the second break. Took the break. But I had a feeling that something went wrong in the Quant. I knew I did not do my best. But said let me give best atleast in verbal. When I tried to enter the hall the stupid palm scanner did not recognize me two time and it recognized me only on 3rd try and by the time I started verbal section, 2 mins of verbal section had already elapsed.

I would like to state that I did not write any essays while doing the practice tests but I made sure I took only 8 minutes of break. Also, while doing GMATPREP, I knew answers for few questions because I came across them either in OG or on forums.

Also, as I recollect now, I think I hardly used what I learnt while preparing in the actual test. I don’t remember having ever used any principles of CR (such as finding the conclusion, argument etc) or any principles of SC in the exam. I don’t know why. May be I was trying to make up for the lost time. I was so DUMB.

BTW, my 10th question in Verbal was boldface. So, I think the boldface myth is absolutely wrong.

I know all the above reasons might have affected my score but I think no reasons would justify a mere 570.

For some reason, my intuition is not allowing me to quit GMAT yet. Somewhere beneath my heart, I know I can do it. When I look at my practice test scores I think something went horribly wrong in the test but I am not able to figure out what it is.

Can experts guide me and help me with the answers to below questions:

1. What should I do now?
2. How do I make sure I make use of what I learnt in preparation in the exam? I think this is my biggest problem. If I can overcome this I can do well.
3. Now if I do GMATPREP tests or OG or MGMAT Tests, the scores will be inflated as I will remember answers to most of the questions. How do I forget all the answers?
4. How many months should I take break before re-attempting.
5. Finally, should I re-attempt at all.

Please help.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Other
Schools: University of Wisconsin (Madison) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V38
GMAT 2: 760 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.66
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 12

Re: GMAT Disaster - GMATPREP 710-Actual test 570 - Advise needed [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2012, 17:34
Obviously it was not your day - retake in 31 days & don't wear yourself out cramming between now & then. The second time around their much less uncertainty. You'll have a feel for what to expect from the test center - unfortunately for you the experience was a bit underwhelming.

On the lighter side, can I suggest a Red-Bull IV drip and catheter so as to not have to leave the test room next time?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Leadership, Nonprofit
WE: Education (Education)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 5

Re: GMAT Disaster - GMATPREP 710-Actual test 570 - Advise needed [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2012, 18:57
Yeah take the test as soon as you can. You are clearly ready for it. Don't worry about your score, that was certainly a fluke and a bad day.
Maybe go to another center that has a better palm reader :-).
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: INSEAD '14
GMAT Date: 08-15-2012
GPA: 3.57
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 17

Re: GMAT Disaster - GMATPREP 710-Actual test 570 - Advise needed [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2012, 23:09
Maybe I'm misreading this but can't you complain to Pearson Vue? A malfunctioning palm reader isn't exactly your fault.

And you should def retake it!

Life with the GMAT:

Jerome: Ben, c'est 20 secondes de plus qu'hier sur le meme parcours! C'etait bien le meme parcours la, non?!
Gigi: Mais t'enerve pas, Jerome, je crois que t'as accroche une porte.
Jerome: *$&#(*%&(*#%&

Director
Director
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 284 [0], given: 162

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: GMAT Disaster - GMATPREP 710-Actual test 570 - Advise needed [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2012, 06:56
Dude,

FatRiver is dead right. Go ahead and lodge a complain for bad testing condition asking for BOTH score cancellation and refund for next date. Make a lot of noise and put a strong case forward. If nothing you will save 250$. May be the site moderator 'bb' can advise you on this. A similar incident happened in the past when a person was heavily penalized for a small careless mistake.

Spring has passed, summer is gone and winter is here. And the song that I meant to sing remains unsung.
For I have spent my days stringing and un-stringing my instrument.

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Disaster - GMATPREP 710-Actual test 570 - Advise needed [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2012, 07:06
@nsspaz151 - Thankyou. I did not get what you were trying to say "can I suggest a Red-Bull IV drip and catheter so as to not have to leave the test room next time"

@mattfrommorocco - Ya. I plan to take it a different test center this time.

@FatRiverPuff - I am thinking of complaining to GMAC regarding the palm readers.

Thankyou so much for your responses. I am so tired and planning a vacation now. However, I would like to ask below questions.

1. I started to question my scrores in Practice tests. I am getting a feeling that because there were repeat questions in GMATPREP tests, the scores were inflated and thus I was able to score above 700. My question is does everybody see few questions that you know in GMATPREP tests or it is only me who saw repeats?

2. As far as I know, I did not put to use what learnt in the test. How can I overcome this problem?

3. Now if I do GMATPREP tests or OG or MGMAT Tests, the scores will be inflated as I will remember answers to most of the questions. How do I forget all the answers?

I am thinking of attempting the test in few months, I know I will have to prepare for new type of questions i.e IR. The reason I want to attempt in few months is because I think I will have go thru all the material one more time atleast and also forget all the questions/answers from prep tests. What are your thoughts on this?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Said
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GPA: 2.9
WE: Marketing (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 36 [1] , given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Disaster - GMATPREP 710-Actual test 570 - Advise needed [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2012, 20:57
This post received
KUDOS
chasegmat wrote:
his?

Calm down. You make it sound like knowing the answers is a bad thing. It's not!

Ok, you had a REALLY bad test day. But from what you have said so far, it is not reflective of your capability. And the next time you appear for the test, everything is going to be different. No fever. No palm-scanner issues. And no Tylenol! Except, maybe, your memory of this incident and the fear it triggers.

So, pull yourself together. Forget the matter. See, hundreds of thousands of students screw up every year. If there is anything GMAT Club should have taught you it is that we are all in the same boat!!!

Some try again, do better and get to their dream b-schools. Others let fear get to them and screw up again. You have to decide which piece of statistic you want to be.

If you like it, Kudo it!

"There is no alternative to hard work. If you don't do it now, you'll probably have to do it later. If you didn't need it now, you probably did it earlier. But there is no escaping it."

710 Debrief. Crash and Burn

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: GMAT Disaster - GMATPREP 710-Actual test 570 - Advise needed [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2012, 23:59
chasegmat,

Don't worry. Same happened to me. I was scoring around 700-720 on Manhattan exams and stable 720 on preps but day before actual test I had a temperature and scored 640 :( (On first official test I also scored 640 and with the same Q-V split!). That was a nightmare! Don't give up, schedule your next test after month but don't forget to read once more every material! You will not progress only with CATs.

Good Luck !
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Disaster - GMATPREP 710-Actual test 570 - Advise needed [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2012, 08:33
@budablasta -Thankyou.

@akakhidze - Looks like you have a similar story. So what happened the second time? What was your score in 2nd try?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 550 Q47 V20
GPA: 3.74
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 60 [1] , given: 50

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT Disaster - GMATPREP 710-Actual test 570 - Advise needed [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2012, 09:36
This post received
KUDOS
chasegmat,
I know exactly how you are feeling. I had almost the same problem. I was scoring consistently in the 610 to 670 range but scored only 550 on the real one. I am also an Engineer. You can find my debrief following my profile.

The first task would be to identify what went wrong. One issue immediately popped up when I was reading your post is that, you took too many pills! Did you doctor prescribe those medications? Did you read about the side effects of those medications might have?

I recently found out that the Advair I take regularly has depression as a side effect. So I will talk to my doctor soon about it. Similarly, your first task would be find out if those medication played any role. Avoid taking that much meds during the next exam.

Secondly, find out whether you went into the post peaking low scoring zone. Did you work hard right before the exam? Did you take too many tests? Did you solve too many problems leading to the test? Read the link provided in this post.

The third question: did you work on your weak areas effectively? I will presume you did. However, make sure your weak areas are covered.

Once you identify the problems you made, make a plan for a retake and avoid the mistakes you made this time.

The question is, when should you retake? Look at the graph with number months after the first test vs. the number of points gained to determine how long you should wait for the second exam. It's posted somewhere in this forum.

Keep your hopes high! Good luck!!

Kudos is the best way to say Thank you.

Re: GMAT Disaster - GMATPREP 710-Actual test 570 - Advise needed   [#permalink] 13 Mar 2012, 09:36