Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 22:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT done : 770 Q 50, v 47

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT done : 770 Q 50, v 47 [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2004, 18:34
Finally it is over. Took the gmat today morning 9/13.

I was truly amazed by the score I got. I really did think it was not going as well as it finally turned out. I had read sigepuci's post about his gmat and was hoping mine would be similar.

In fact the test experience was pretty similar. (though my center did provide terrific headphones, could'nt even hear myself :-)
I was pretty confident of the math. Somehow the test got tough pretty quickly. The first few questions were pretty easy. Then I got stuck on a probabiility question which seems easy now. I just got stuck on it for atleat 3 mins. After that the questions did get prety tough till about the 30th question or so. The last questions were pretty easy. So ended up finishing about 10 mins early. I was not too happy with the test so far. Anyway took a break .

The verbal was pretty easy especially the RC and the CRs. I had always had some trouble with SC but I felt the test went ok. Finished this sections about 4-5 mins early.

My prep was the usual guide books
Kaplan 2005
Princeton Review 2005
OG
I also browsed the kaplan 800 book at a border's.

I started preparing for the test mid-july though I guess it really picked up once I registered for the test around aug 10. Was able to take practise tests:
PP1 : aug 10 730
Kaplan 1 : aug 28 700
PP 2 : sep 4 740
Kaplan 2 : sep 11 730
Princeton 1 : sep 12 740

I was happy enough with the kaplan tests as I had read here how tough they were but was sort of bummed with the Princeton and the PP2 result. My verbal score in the actual gmat was my highest ever.

I would like to express my thanks to all the people in this forum. I haven't really been an active participant with regards to posting. I tend to lurk more.

Anyway thanks again
-vamsi.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2004, 19:03
Congratulations Vamsi.
This week seems to be a week of blockbuster GMAT's. Here we are, at times waiting for months to read a 720+ gmat experience, and now we have 750+'s showering like anything. Congratulations to GMATCLUB which is helping people across the globe to reach their targets.
Vamsi, can you elaborate a bit on your strategy for preparing verbal . Do u think quant questions in real GMAT were tougher than in kaplan CAT tests?
Your kaplan scores were amazing man!!
Given your kaplan scores, you should have scored 800!!
Good luck
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2004, 22:09
well for verbal I did the usual stuff of the guides

I started with Princeton review, did the whole book. Then started working on the Kaplan book. I realised that I was making most of the mistakes in SC. I guess I had forgotten the little grammar that I had learnt. Since there was no time to really learn the stuff, I had to rely on whatever explanation the various guides offered. In the last week, I diligently solved all the SC questions in the OG, looking at the explanation for each choice. This helped me a lot.

Math in the test was not tougher than kaplan. In fact the last few questions were pretty easy. In the first 1-15, I was taking more than 2 mins per question, so I felt I was not doing that well. Then it eased up a lot.
kaplan tests tended to have tough math questions all the way.
Math questions also are pretty close to the OG, though I solved only the last few questions from there.

hope that helps.
-vamsi.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2004, 01:28
Sure a great score Vamsi. Thanks for inspiring.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2004, 05:42
marvelous scrore there. Congrats!

Can you tell how many RC passages did you get on the actual exam? this is the one that is killing most of the time; almost always I am guessing (on practice tests) on last 5-6 question b/c of RC.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2004, 09:28
Hi dj
Thanks.
I think there were 4 passages : 3 , 4 , 3 and 4 questions or maybe (3,3,3 5). The first passage was within the first few questions ( < 5). The last one was way in the end (34-38).

In the practice tests I took, my score varied mostly with how the RC section went. (I resigned myself to making atleast a few mistakes atleast in SC). So whenever the RC passages were tougher, the score went down.

If you have a time problem in RC, maybe you are getting bogged down in understanding the passage fully. I found the techinque of skimming through the passage after the first paragraph (like kaplan, PR etc say) useful. Also in practise, try to get the time management right to approx 2 min.

best of luck.
-vamsi.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2004, 16:23
nice!

thanks and all the best.
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck'08
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2004, 21:04
You guys are amazing...770...my god !
I am fighting with my 570.... :oops: I am even more surprised by your Kaplan score, you got 700 at kaplan ? damned :!:

Incredible score man. Best wishes for your application and congratulations for this really great score. :wink:
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2004, 22:42
WOW, as is WOOOW. :)

Franky
http://franky4gmat.blogspot.com

[#permalink] 01 Oct 2004, 22:42