Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Jul 2014, 02:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT done.. for now - From 580 to 680 (q44 v40)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 3

GMAT done.. for now - From 580 to 680 (q44 v40) [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2009, 16:23
Hello Everyone!
My first post. Have been visiting this site for a little while now. Finally took the test yesterday and got a 680, which isn't awful but I know I can do better. I had been consistently scoring between 47 and 49 in quant in all my practice tests so that 44 isnt a true reflection by any standard. So. I plan on retaking it after the holidays, I think. Unfortunately, I took the GMAT last year when I had just graduated from college and I didnt know what I was doing.. (I just took it to take it just incase I wanted to go back to school right away, didnt have a clear plan as to why I was taking it.. just always knew I would go to business school but did no research) and I got a 580 so I have that on my record already. Regardless, I am here to share my experiences so far.

So I took a Veritas prep course which in all honestly if I had found out about this site I would have saved that $1000 because the biggest gains I have made have hands down been from the OG, MGMAT and from this very site. In addition, the 7 weeks I spent in that course would have been better spent combing through the OG and MGMAT books which I did in the past three to four weeks. The little advice that I have to share is as follows:

*Take this test ONLY when you are ready. Things were just starting to really click in the last few days before the test and I should have postponed the test about two weeks out to go through a lot of the guides over and over and finish all the GMATclub tests.. which brings me to my second point

*This site.. is the bizness! Honestly words can not express how grateful I am for this website and all the people who post and all the resources on here. The GMAT club tests are also phenomenal. Worth more than the 79 dollars I paid. In addition to that, my verbal scores had been pretty weak (low 30s) in most of my earlier practice tests because I wasn't doing well in critical reasoning. I went through the page on here that has all the critical reasoning links and such, and literally in the 4 days after I went through all the resources on that page, I managed to shoot my verbal up to a 40 on the real test. Seriously. I cant thank gmatclub enough.

*Schedule the test for the best time of the day for you. Mine was at 8. early morning test + nerves = messing up in quant for me. I was literally staring at the screen like 'uhh..'. Apparently my brain wasn't aware of what was going on, it was pretty bad. Next time I am going to shoot for a mid day test because that is when I perform to the best of my ability.

I dont plan on matriculating till 2011 so I know I can afford the additional time to retake this test if I decide to. I may also focus on strengthening other parts of my apps. Right now the schools I am looking at are NYU, Duke, Darden, Ross and Mccombs so for all of them I am within the range but below the average. I dunno.. we shall see. (Your suggestions are also welcome)

But many thanks to the gmatclub. I hope to be a regular contributor as I will be around for a while! :)
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: GMAT done.. for now - From 580 to 680 (q44 v40) [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2009, 23:08
useful debrief indeed! thank you.

Truth is infinite, understanding is finite

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: GMAT done.. for now - From 580 to 680 (q44 v40) [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2009, 01:59
Hi,

Can you please let me know which was the link for Critical reasoning that you went through on GmatClub?

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT done.. for now - From 580 to 680 (q44 v40) [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2009, 22:15
wonderful debrief....all the best!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 3

Re: GMAT done.. for now - From 580 to 680 (q44 v40) [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2009, 15:06
It won't let me post URLs but if you just search for Critical Reasoning on this site, you will find it within the first few searches. The author is Target760.

-Thanks!
Re: GMAT done.. for now - From 580 to 680 (q44 v40)   [#permalink] 10 Dec 2009, 15:06