Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 00:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Done !!!! Scored 760 V 41 Q 51. Debrief updated AWA - 6

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
GMAT Done !!!! Scored 760 V 41 Q 51. Debrief updated AWA - 6 [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2007, 17:05
Hi All,

I am just back from my test center. Though I fell short of my expectations by 20 points, I still feel that this score should suffice for my apps. I will post my debrief soon and I promise you that it would be a very inspiring one.

Dahcrap

Last edited by dahcrap on 05 Sep 2007, 18:05, edited 2 times in total.
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Done !!!! Scored 760 V 41 Q 51 [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2007, 17:18
dahcrap wrote:
Hi All,

I am just back from my test center. Though I fell short of my expectations by 20 points, I still feel that this score should suffice for my apps. I will post my debrief soon and I promise you that it would be a very inspiring one.

Dahcrap

wow holy crap! :wink: i'm sure a score that high should entice any elite program to take your application more seriously.. congrats!! from your contributions on the forum, your score does not surprise me! good luck with apps! :o
CEO
CEO
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 213 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2007, 17:42
i am envious. i barely started my CR preparation and i see a flurry of 760s.. argh
VP
VP
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 108 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2007, 17:43
Great job!
I wish I had your quant score ;)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2007, 20:34
WTH. Are you crazy? A score of 760 fell short of your expectations!!! I would die to get a score like this.

Awesome man. Good luck with your apps.

I am sure you've hit the bars for beers to help u wonder what if it had been a 800. But enlighten us with your experiences once you recover.

Congratz once again.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2007, 00:38
Good score..I wouldn't waste your time retaking it.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Done !!!! Scored 760 V 41 Q 51 [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2007, 11:02
dahcrap wrote:
Hi All,

Dahcrap

Congrats man... a 780 from a second attempt will not give you any additional advantage over 760. So you should be good to go.

Come on, post your debrief already. I badly need to be inspired :lol:
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2007, 11:27
760 is an amazing score! Congrats man! I wouldn't take the test again, work on your essays...99th percentile is 99th percentile.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2007, 15:42
The score has sunk in and I am now back to earth getting ready to do my essays. But before that, I would like to tell my Gmat preparation story and I hope most of you might benefit from the same. Believe it or not, when I started my GMAT study, I found that I was bad in Math, SC, CR and RC. Trust me I was good at none of these stuff. In real life too, I am just street smart average joe. I am niether the "brainiac" nor the "intelligent" guy. I am just the practical guy.

Before the test, I encountered all sorts of problems, some of them personal and some of them healthwise. I was totally sick the whole week before the test and I was in more than half a mind to cancel the test. In addition, my 2 year old son kept me awake the whole night before the test. Still I wanted to take the test and all I wanted to see was what I could score in such hopeless circumstances. Now to my preparation...

I attacked Math first. Its been 10 yrs since I have been out of school and as I observed GMAT Math more, I found that it was more of tricks than of any intelligent stuff. Getting a 51 in Math does not mean one is good in Math. All it means is that the guy is alert and observant. So What did I do for math ? Just mugged up the various formulae. Now after mugging up the formulae , I practised using them in each and every problem. I found that most of the PS questions are pure formula substitutions. Also using formulae saved me time in PS. Next fun part was the DS. Trust me, DS is the area where you can actually save time. No need for any calculations and all you have to say is whether you can solve the problem or not. For a person like me, this was the best part in the whole GMAT. Remember in DS questions, solve the info in the stem as much as possible before even looking into the answer choices. Almost in all cases, you will find that you would be left with 2 variables and the choices will relate to the 2 variables. If you solve for each and every stmt in the DS problem, it is like solving the question atleast 3 times and this is where u will lose time. So try following my advice for DS. You will solve the problem only once, get the problem right and most importantly you will be confident about your answer.

Now to the most challenging part for me- The verbal section. To truly explain my hopeless situation at the start of my study, you need to understand that I did not start my career as a professional. I started as a low level policeman in a developing country, read India. For me even basic grammar has been a challenge all through my life. Currently I am into IT but for me it is a huge graduation unlike most of the guys in this forum who have started their lives as professionals. For me life has truly been tough partly because I never had a good educational degree. I have survived by being simply street smart.What did I do in Verbal ? Start your prepartion by reading quality articles on the internet. One thing that went my way was that the my first sincere attempt at learning english started with learning GMAT english.So when you guys say that GMAT english is of a higher standard compared to normal english, I didnt feel so as I learnt GMAT english in the 4-5 months without much prior knowledge of normal english. Non Indian readers may find this difficult to comprehend but this is true. Any Indian reader will attest to the english proficiency of a local police constable.
Read good articles and always try to enjoy the essence of the article. In every article, I tried to understand the article in full and then critiqued them. Also I ensured that all my emails followed proper GMAT grammar protocols. Moreover I listened critically to all the ads on the radio and this was the way I prepared for CR. In our daily lives we listen to so many arguments, so replay them in your mid and then strengthen or weaken them. In a few months you will be a CR. One material that I enjoyed reading both for its content and its grammar is the powerscore CR bible. I used the techniques mentioned in the bible to bring my CR time to under 2 minutes.

So guys let me reiterate. If a low level policeman from a developing country can do it in abt 5 months, you guys can easily do so too. All you need to remember are these 2 facts

1. Be alert in the test. GMAT is all abt tricking you. It is not abt concepts or anything
2. Enjoy the verbal part of GMAT. You can actually use the AWA drills in your essays. How ? Read on...

In AWA you are the critique of the arguemnt and the issue. In the MBA essays, the adcom is the critique. Now if you develop a story that is air tight and if the conclusion(s) in the story cannot be waekened then you have a good essay and you are highly likely to receive an interview call. So enjoy the GMAT. I hear people say GMAT is the easiest part in this whole journey. SO PM me if you have any questions. I will try my best to answer you guys. My answers may not be as refined and professional as your answers are, so please bear with me and just take the content of my responses.

Dahcrap
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2007, 19:23
Awesome score man and a wonderful debrief. Congratulations:)
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
good show! [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2007, 19:50
glad you made it! good luck with your apps.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2007, 05:37
This is truly inspiring. I would request you to tell us more about your background?

Thanks
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2007, 06:22
thats the most unique debrief i have ever seen on this site n the best part of it was that u didnt have to try 2 make it unique. It just felt like it came straight out of the heart n that is already tellin me that u r a strong candidate to get into any school. This debreif is just givin me the feelin that apart from the gr8 gmat score u have a great story to write in the essays 2. All the luck with the admissions!!!
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2007, 07:35
Awsome score....your 2 year son is more inspiring for me as I has a 2 year too. And he makes sure I am doing anything but not studying
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2007, 10:14
Thanks for all your good wishes. I would like to give you all a few specific pointers for attacking the GMAT.

1. Never do any lengthy calculations. If you spend more than 30 seconds in calculations in non compund interest problems, then it means you are following the least efficient way to solve a problem.

2. As I said before, solve the problem only one for DS problems

3. In CR questions you need to just mug up the following.

a. In Inference questions always the contrapositive is correct.
b. In Weaken questions, an external factor affects the conclusion or the cause and effect is reversed.
c. In Strengthen questions, an external factor boosts the conclusion, the assumption is stated as true or if cause doesnt happen the result doesnt happen.
d. For Assumption questions remember there are 2 types of right answer choices. One is the supportive choice which would link the premise to the conclusion. The second is the defensive choice where any presence of external effects on the conclusion is negated.

4. For RC , read the passage in a critical manner. Understand the passage. Remember its ok to spend upto 4 mins to understand and paraphrase the passage. I paraphased the passage in my native language and then answered the questions. By doing this, I ended spending abt 2 mins a question despite spending 4 mins in just reading and paraphasing the passage.

5. SC is more abt getting an active interest in the fact that English is an irritating full of exceptions. I can talk more abt SC techniques if you guys want me to.

Heading off to the next disucssion forum...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2007, 15:08
dahcrap wrote:
5. SC is more abt getting an active interest in the fact that English is an irritating full of exceptions. I can talk more abt SC techniques if you guys want me to.

Heading off to the next disucssion forum...

Ofcourse we want you to man :) Could you please give us the SC pointers too?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2007, 23:52
dahcrap wrote:

Nice pointers. Please do discuss the SC techniques, it's the section I find most troublesome.

Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2007, 09:33
Hi All,

I have received a good number of PMs asking abt my SC strategy. I shall post them in abt 24 hours.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2007, 10:32
what an amazing result! Congratulations!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2007, 11:13
truly inspiring. congrats!
  [#permalink] 04 Sep 2007, 11:13