Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 10:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Error Log

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Error Log [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2010, 07:27
wow i havent checked this thread in a long time. Good to see many of you getting some use out of these crazy spreadsheets.
Manager
Manager
Schools: UNC Kenan-Flagler, IU Kelley, Emory GSB
WE 1: 5 yrs
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 50

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Error Log [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2010, 09:16
Umm..pardon my ignorance.

How to log the "questions" and the answer descriptions? Questions in verbal run along for pages. Their explanation consumes another chunk of space. Where do you guys log all this information? If I put it in the excel cell it doesn't look readable. It even doesnt work for questions with images.. Instead I've tried to write the description in a notepad and embed it into the spreadsheet. But even that gets very annoying.

I've logged OG11 and GMATPREP1 errors with just pointers to the questions I got wrong. But now I've forgotten the details about those questions. So every time I need to look back, I need to go to the open the book/software and check the questions again.

This seriously takes a lot of time and is very inefficient. I feel the best method is to keep handwritten logs but even that doesnt work for verbal. Cant write information that runs along for pages!

Can please someone shed some light on how to make efficient use of the error logs?

The night is at its darkest just before the dawn... never, ever give up!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 43

Re: GMAT Error Log [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2010, 11:30
what is the "db" sheet in the error logs? database? for what? :)
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Followers: 340

Kudos [?]: 1392 [0], given: 194

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Error Log [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2010, 11:58
yossarian84 wrote:

How to log the "questions" and the answer descriptions? Questions in verbal run along for pages. Their explanation consumes another chunk of space. Where do you guys log all this information? If I put it in the excel cell it doesn't look readable. It even doesnt work for questions with images.. Instead I've tried to write the description in a notepad and embed it into the spreadsheet. But even that gets very annoying.

I've logged OG11 and GMATPREP1 errors with just pointers to the questions I got wrong. But now I've forgotten the details about those questions. So every time I need to look back, I need to go to the open the book/software and check the questions again.

This seriously takes a lot of time and is very inefficient. I feel the best method is to keep handwritten logs but even that doesnt work for verbal. Cant write information that runs along for pages!

Can please someone shed some light on how to make efficient use of the error logs?

I think with error logs, the best way to use them is to put in the question number and book name and then write down why you got the answer wrong. If not, what you CAN do is, if you're doing these questions online, just make a list of questions that you got wrong by copying and pasting them in a Word file. You can review these later.
1 KUDOS received
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda

Kudos [?]: 1392 [1] , given: 194

Re: GMAT Error Log [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2010, 20:32
This post received
KUDOS
score780 wrote:
what is the "db" sheet in the error logs? database? for what? :)

Yes, it is the Database. If you want to add a source that's not there in order to include it in the drop-down menus or add some sort of mistake that you make which is not mentioned, etc you update the required column in the database. :)
Manager
Manager
Schools: UNC Kenan-Flagler, IU Kelley, Emory GSB
WE 1: 5 yrs
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 50

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Error Log [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2010, 10:42
whiplash2411 wrote:
yossarian84 wrote:

I think with error logs, the best way to use them is to put in the question number and book name and then write down why you got the answer wrong. If not, what you CAN do is, if you're doing these questions online, just make a list of questions that you got wrong by copying and pasting them in a Word file. You can review these later.

Thanks Whiplash.

After a lot of contemplation, I am doing my logging in the following manner:

For all verbal questions that I get wrong (except RC), I put all the errors and the description in a simple ms wordfile.

For quant questions that I get wrong, I make handwritten notes for each question - write down the question, my answer, where did I falter, area tested - how to solve etc. So this also acts like a disincentive to do lesser errors ;)

Thanks guys.

The night is at its darkest just before the dawn... never, ever give up!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 7

Re: GMAT Error Log [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2010, 14:53
Hi!

I'm using the "awesome" error log. Does anyone know how I can add items to the drop-down menu? Thanks!
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda

Kudos [?]: 1392 [0], given: 194

Re: GMAT Error Log [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2010, 14:59
Check the database section on the tabs.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 7

Re: GMAT Error Log [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2010, 15:06
whiplash2411 wrote:
Check the database section on the tabs.

I did and I added items to the list, but they don't show up on the drop-down. Do I need to do anything to add to the drop-down after adding the items to the list on db?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Error Log [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2010, 02:56
Thanks!!
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Error Log [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2010, 16:43
Hi,

Can some one explain me how to access this Forum Timer.
Looks like I am missing something, I could not find it any of the error log XL files (2003 and 2007 XL )
Thanks and appriciate u r help.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2280

Kudos [?]: 8825 [0], given: 3667

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Error Log [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2010, 21:43
Expert's post
raobn wrote:
Hi,

Can some one explain me how to access this Forum Timer.
Looks like I am missing something, I could not find it any of the error log XL files (2003 and 2007 XL )
Thanks and appriciate u r help.

Did you try clicking the link?
time-yourself-with-a-new-gmat-club-timer-v-96251.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Schools: UC Berkeley (Haas), Santa Clara U (Leavey), UC Davis, University of San Francisco

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: GMAT Error Log [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2010, 11:08
My apologies, but, I'm trying to use Saruba's winning log to keep track of my mistakes and I can't figure out how to use it. Can someone please provide a how to? Am I the only one or do others have a problem too? I've been writing down my wrong/right answers on a notebook, but I want something better to keep track of my mistakes. Thanks.
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Error Log [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2010, 19:16
What is OA in Saruba's error log?
Intern
Intern
Schools: UC Berkeley (Haas), Santa Clara U (Leavey), UC Davis, University of San Francisco

Re: GMAT Error Log [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 09:30
inmate85 wrote:
What is OA in Saruba's error log?
I believe it stands for "Original Answer" which is a way of saying, "correct answer". I think.

A "how to use this log" would be very useful. I finally gave up and I'm using paper and pencil to record my successes and mishaps.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 48

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Error Log [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2010, 10:23
Guys, I found some errors in the friendly error log:
Verbal Stat, 'Log by issue' -> contains references for Quants!
Verbal Stat, Quant Stat, 'Accuracy by Area' -> contains formulas which start not from the first row (5), but from 6th, 7th etc - 'drag and drop' problem while moving the formula

Apart from that, the log is great!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 48

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Error Log [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2010, 10:26
Quote:
A "how to use this log" would be very useful. I finally gave up and I'm using paper and pencil to record my successes and mishap

No, don't do it - it'll be a nightmare to process that data later on!
As I wrote above, the logs contain some flaws in formulas. If you're not strong in excel, drop me a mail, I'll share my correct version which I am using daily.
Or, just keep a table in excel and then use pivot tool from time to time to see your statistics.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 193

Re: GMAT Error Log [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2010, 20:54
i can't find GMAT error log for diagnostic test

I'm the Dumbest of All !!

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Error Log [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2010, 07:30
Vorskl wrote:
If you're not strong in excel, drop me a mail, I'll share my correct version which I am using daily.
Or, just keep a table in excel and then use pivot tool from time to time to see your statistics.
It's not the Excel I'm having trouble with. I just can't figure out how to use it, and rather than waste time on figuring it out, I'm just marking them on my notebook.
Vorskl wrote:
No, don't do it - it'll be a nightmare to process that data later on!
What do you mean? Do I really need all the bells and whistles of the logs, or do I simply need to know which questions I got wrong and study more.

I already know I have some serious problems with Data Sufficiency. Yikes! :shock:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 102 [1] , given: 48

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Error Log [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2010, 01:15
This post received
KUDOS
BB, here is the simplified version of the 'Friendly' log without fancy buttons, but with WORKING formulas.
I also added the 'date' column. The reason for this is that I want to take reports every two weeks (Pivot table will help) on how am I performing and if there are substantial changes in the performance.
Attachments

File comment: the simplified error log with WORKING formulas
GMAT errorlog.xlsm [121.42 KiB]
Downloaded 52 times

To download please login or register as a user

Re: GMAT Error Log   [#permalink] 20 Oct 2010, 01:15