Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Nov 2014, 13:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Error Log

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [4] , given: 2

Re: Competition for the Best GMAT Error Log Template [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2009, 12:18
This post received
KUDOS
Hey guys...made a couple changes / edits. First - had to change the dark red coloring and other formatting (was going for Harvard colors but I dont think it looks too good in excel). Second - needed to fix a formula. Third - created button to link to each source's performance report (before I dont think it was obvious that it was there). Fourth - created more tabs (reduced the default amount of questions from 2000 to 1000 to save space). Lastly, I made an xlsx version.

Enjoy.

Attachments

Trianglock_GMAT Error Log-2.xls [1.59 MiB]
Downloaded 137 times

To download please login or register as a user

Trianglock_GMAT Error Log-2.xlsx [814.57 KiB]
Downloaded 84 times

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GPA: 3.5

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 9

Re: Competition for the Best GMAT Error Log Template [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2009, 18:01
Very kool
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2375

Kudos [?]: 9944 [0], given: 3755

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Competition for the Best GMAT Error Log Template [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2009, 18:10
Expert's post
2 hours left - anyone else?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.95
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 96 [2] , given: 15

Re: Competition for the Best GMAT Error Log Template [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2009, 19:09
This post received
KUDOS
Version with source code:

Attachment:
Spoilt_Error_Log_V_0.0.7.xls [664.5 KiB]
Downloaded 70 times

Office 2007:
Attachment:
Spoilt_Error_Log_V_0.0.7.xlsm [314.25 KiB]
Downloaded 71 times

GMAT Club Error Log V3.0 - with Timer
GMAT Club Error Log
Spoilt Error Log V0.0.9 - with Timer
Awesome Error Log - By Spoilt and Trianglock

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 96 [2] , given: 15

Re: Competition for the Best GMAT Error Log Template [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2009, 19:19
This post received
KUDOS
TRIANGLOCK wrote:
Hey guys...made a couple changes / edits. First - had to change the dark red coloring and other formatting (was going for Harvard colors but I dont think it looks too good in excel). Second - needed to fix a formula. Third - created button to link to each source's performance report (before I dont think it was obvious that it was there). Fourth - created more tabs (reduced the default amount of questions from 2000 to 1000 to save space). Lastly, I made an xlsx version.

Enjoy.

Really good work. You deserve my kudos

GMAT Club Error Log

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 15

Re: Competition for the Best GMAT Error Log Template [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2009, 19:20
saruba wrote:
Here is my contribution to this cool contest.

Friendly Error Log v1 by Saruba
Attachment:
friendly_error_log_v1_by_saruba.xlsx

Attachment:
friendly_error_log_v1_by_saruba.xls

*Several warnings prompted up when saving the 2003 version, I'm not sure if it'll work fine!

Really Nice. Kudos !!!!

GMAT Club Error Log

Manager
Manager

Re: Competition for the Best GMAT Error Log Template [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2009, 19:47
I think Spoilt, TRIANGLOCK and Saruba have all done an excellent job. Very impressed with your work and THANK YOU. This helps all gmatters. BB and other Admins, I would hate to have just one winner. If possible, can you also include some sort of prize / free tests the other contributors too.

Again... Great job you guys.

Last edited by HopefulOldie on 17 Nov 2009, 19:49, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 2

Re: Competition for the Best GMAT Error Log Template [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2009, 19:48
All very good entries. Going to be difficult to decide who should win.

BB - Any chance of giving us 3 (Spoilt, Saruba, and myself) all access to the GMAT Club tests and just give the $$$ to the winner?
Manager
Manager

Re: Competition for the Best GMAT Error Log Template [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2009, 20:45
Saruba, good luck on your exam, but once you are done, do let me know how to edit the file. It keeps throwing "cannot modify protected cell" error.
Manager
Manager

Re: Competition for the Best GMAT Error Log Template [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2009, 22:18
HopefulOldie wrote:
I think Spoilt, TRIANGLOCK and Saruba have all done an excellent job. Very impressed with your work and THANK YOU. This helps all gmatters. BB and other Admins, I would hate to have just one winner. If possible, can you also include some sort of prize / free tests the other contributors too.

Again... Great job you guys.

I agree on this (we need your help on this BB) . Free tests for everyone here :)
Though Saruba's Error log is not functional before the end of competition - Saruba also deserves something (at least a free test)

GMAT Club Error Log

Manager
Manager

Re: Competition for the Best GMAT Error Log Template [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2009, 22:45
TRIANGLOCK wrote:

Enjoy.

Good work TRIANGLOCK.

I made a small change to this entry :
Attachment:
Trianglock_GMAT Error Log-2.1.xls [1.62 MiB]
Downloaded 66 times

GMAT Club Error Log

Tuck Thread Master
Schools: Stanford (in), Tuck (WL), Wharton (ding), Cornell (in)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 69

Re: Competition for the Best GMAT Error Log Template [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2009, 03:05
Thank you guys!

I liked both Saruba's and TRIANGLOCK's work, though preferred Saruba's one. They both deserve access to GMAT Club Challenges at least

Saruba
You're having D-Day today, aren't you?! :?:

---------------

PS I've just seen Spoilt's version too. It's very very good. All of these 3 users have made great contributions to site.
Manager
Manager

Re: Competition for the Best GMAT Error Log Template [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2009, 03:18
shalva wrote:
Thank you guys!

I liked both Saruba's and TRIANGLOCK's work, though preferred Saruba's one. They both deserve access to GMAT Club Challenges at least

Saruba
You're having D-Day today, aren't you?! :?:

---------------

PS I've just seen Spoilt's version too. It's very very good. All of these 3 users have made great contributions to site.

True , TRIANGLOCK did good job for me.

I would like to quote Saruba's work is incomplete - It's just a template and don't have any fuctional value at the end of competition.

After competition is over - anyone not only me , TRIANGLOCK but any GMATcluber can update and produce better version but that will not be a fair competition - Log must be functional at the end of competition.

But I really appreciate Saruba's work - Though useless for the fair competition. (But Saruba deserves access to GMAT Club Challenges at least)

GMAT Club Error Log

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Competition for the Best GMAT Error Log Template [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2009, 08:29
hasn't the deadline already passed? Waiting for results :)
Current Student
Schools: SSE
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 308 [0], given: 22

Re: Competition for the Best GMAT Error Log Template [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2009, 10:54
Spoilt wrote:

I would like to quote Saruba's work is incomplete - It's just a template and don't have any fuctional value at the end of competition.

But I really appreciate Saruba's work - Though useless for the fair competition. (But Saruba deserves access to GMAT Club Challenges at least)

"Error log is one of the most essential and important tools in GMAT prep. Do you use one? Have a good template? Have good ideas to create one? You may be in for some money"

Yes I use one. Yes I have one. Yes I do have some ideas. I can't see where he says that in order to participate in the contest the error log must have a functional value. By the way, what do you mean with functional value? A 'Clear log' button? How on earth will I want to erase all the entries that took me hours to introduce? A "Planner"? There are thousands of applications far better than that. Auto-increment? This is what I call useless.
A 'Hit Rate' bar graph just aside the table that shows the same information? The mess of having Quant and Verbal questions mixed together? Is this your concept of funcionality? Sorry, I don't agree with you.

Don't get me wrong, but what i think is really unfair is that you decide who is out of the competition.
My error log is usable as is, all I said is that for folks who like it and will be using it, I would improve it, AS A FAVOR, following their suggestions.

The value of my error log is its simple, clear, well-structured and user-friendly interface. If you don't value these aspects it's fine for me, but is the jury who will decide about these matters, not you.

As a bottomline, I had access to GMAT Club Tests thanks to other contributions I made to this community so I didn't participate for that and neither for the money (I have a job). I made this because I'd have never achieved a score of 700 without GMAT Club Tests and its support forums, so I feel in debt with this community.

Thanks for those who asked about my D-day, as I wrote above I got a 700. Will write a detailed debrief soon.

@HopefulOldie I protected it for the contest, I will soon publish it free but for now you can unlock it with the password '8887'.

Performance: Gmat | Toefl
Contributions: The Idioms Test | All Geometry Formulas | Friendly Error Log | GMAT Analytics
MSc in Management: All you need to know | Student Lifestyle | Class Profiles

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
Followers: 68

Kudos [?]: 687 [0], given: 18

Re: Competition for the Best GMAT Error Log Template [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2009, 11:10
Congrats Saruba!!

I have been following this post and as a result was aware that you were giving the GMAT today. Great score and all the best for your applications!

I do hope you will continue making contributions to gmatclub for those of us who have yet to give the test!

Looking forward to reading your debrief.

Cheers.

Click below to check out some great tips and tricks to help you deal with problems on Remainders!
compilation-of-tips-and-tricks-to-deal-with-remainders-86714.html#p651942

Word Problems Made Easy!
1) Translating the English to Math : word-problems-made-easy-87346.html
2) 'Work' Problems Made Easy : work-word-problems-made-easy-87357.html
3) 'Distance/Speed/Time' Word Problems Made Easy : distance-speed-time-word-problems-made-easy-87481.html

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2375

Kudos [?]: 9944 [0], given: 3755

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Competition for the Best GMAT Error Log Template [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2009, 12:50
Expert's post
Hey Guys, the results will take a bit longer.
I am stuck in all-day meetings at work. I will make a decision and post results within the next 12-24 hrs.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

Manager
Manager

Re: Competition for the Best GMAT Error Log Template [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2009, 19:52
saruba wrote:
Spoilt wrote:

"Error log is one of the most essential and important tools in GMAT prep. Do you use one? Have a good template? Have good ideas to create one? You may be in for some money"

Yes I use one. Yes I have one. Yes I do have some ideas. I can't see where he says that in order to participate in the contest the error log must have a functional value. By the way, what do you mean with functional value? A 'Clear log' button? How on earth will I want to erase all the entries that took me hours to introduce? A "Planner"? There are thousands of applications far better than that. Auto-increment? This is what I call useless.
A 'Hit Rate' bar graph just aside the table that shows the same information? The mess of having Quant and Verbal questions mixed together? Is this your concept of funcionality? Sorry, I don't agree with you.

Don't get me wrong, but what i think is really unfair is that you decide who is out of the competition.
My error log is usable as is, all I said is that for folks who like it and will be using it, I would improve it, AS A FAVOR, following their suggestions.

The value of my error log is its simple, clear, well-structured and user-friendly interface. If you don't value these aspects it's fine for me, but is the jury who will decide about these matters, not you.

As a bottomline, I had access to GMAT Club Tests thanks to other contributions I made to this community so I didn't participate for that and neither for the money (I have a job). I made this because I'd have never achieved a score of 700 without GMAT Club Tests and its support forums, so I feel in debt with this community.

Thanks for those who asked about my D-day, as I wrote above I got a 700. Will write a detailed debrief soon.

@HopefulOldie I protected it for the contest, I will soon publish it free but for now you can unlock it with the password '8887'.

GMAT Club Error Log

Last edited by Spoilt on 23 Nov 2009, 21:36, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Re: Competition for the Best GMAT Error Log Template [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2009, 22:42
Dear all,

I made changes to Error to include GMATClub Logo. Changed Name to GMATCLub Error Log V1. Everyone can change it to contribute !!!

Clear log button can be removed later - It is just to clear the already present sample values.

BB Please don't consider it my entry for Competition.
Attachment:
GMATClub_Error_Log_V_1.xls [845 KiB]
Downloaded 93 times

Office 2007:
Attachment:
GMATClub_Error_Log_V_1.xlsm [486.51 KiB]
Downloaded 99 times

GMAT Club Error Log

Last edited by Spoilt on 23 Nov 2009, 21:37, edited 1 time in total.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 14 [2] , given: 2

Re: Competition for the Best GMAT Error Log Template [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2009, 11:58
This post received
KUDOS
BB - Any good news for us yet? Understand the work thing though.

In the spirit of collaboration now that the competition deadline has passed, I put together something which in my opinion takes some of the best features from each competitors log and aggregates it all into 1.

I have completed roughly half of it (only the quant side) and wanted to see what people thought before proceeding to code the verbal side as well.

Summary of New Error Log

1. I usually pride myself on being the best at making documents look pretty (former IBanker mentality) but Saruba by far had the best interface in my opinion. Great design and usability for the average person. So I grabbed a little bit of that.
2. Organizing the logs into quant/verbal made some sense to me. Mostly I liked how you had 2 logs and 2 corresponding reports. Another Saruba contribution that I borrowed.
3. Even though Spoilts Planner got bashed in a previous reply - I actually liked that feature. I know sometimes I like to set goals for myself as it pertains to the GMAT (i.e. how many questions per day, how long studying, when I take practice tests) and it helps to have it all rolled up into your error log.
4. The db I borrowed a bit from everyone.
5. I liked my highlighting tool. Helps me to quickly see the questions I need to review and spend more time on based on different criteria.

There are probably others to see but I'll leave a bit of mystery so you download it.

PS - 1 Hint. There is a lot of coding that can slow it down so i suggest turning your calcs to manual so it doesnt hinder your data entry and just press f9 whenever you need to calculate.
Attachments

Awesome Error Log.xls [1.24 MiB]
Downloaded 98 times

Awesome Error Log.xlsm [373.76 KiB]
Downloaded 69 times

Re: Competition for the Best GMAT Error Log Template   [#permalink] 19 Nov 2009, 11:58