I am planning to give GMAt on October 18th 2012. I have done good preparations but not confident enough. My main Aim is to get into ISB,Hyderbad. And I guess ISB deadline for 2nd round is Nov 13th. Is it fine if I postpone the exam to 1st week of November.I have already given toefl. What about top 25 B-schools. Nov 1st week will be too later for other schools too.? Please help me out in this
I'm not expert, but in the same boat. Hope my 2 cents help.
First thing, list down the schools you want to apply to. You can get deadlines on school websites or here http://gmatclub.com/forum/all-mba-deadlines-massive-list-of-2012-2013-deadlines-134763.html?fl=menu
You would be able to apply to R2, so list down all the deadlines.
Another very important thing is that the GMAT score is just part of your application. Essays, recommendations, resumes are important too. Though the essay topics of all schools share same main theme (Ex. why MBA? why now? why this school? future plans etc) you can not (should never actually) use same essays for two schools.
You have to customize your essay according to school's questions. Many schools have special essay questions, which need extra work (Ex. share life story, share stregth, weaknesses, share story when you showed leadership etc). So listing down essays of your dream schools and working on them beforehand would be good.
Last but definitely not least, are rcommendations. You have to work with people who will give you recommendations beforehand. Discuss the points which you would like them to write in the reco. Also tell them your strengths, weaknesses and other stories which they might not know and which will look good on your reco.
So now, you have to think whether you will be able to do all of this in just a week or so. Another way is, writing essays and recos before you take GMAT. So think it thouroughly and then take final decision of postponing the exam.