Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 18:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT exam one month away..

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT exam one month away.. [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2013, 03:26
Hi Friends,

I'm an IT engineer with two years of experience.My GMAT is on April 17,2013 .I want to discuss with you that actually I started my prep by OG 12,MGMAT guides,kaplan 800 questions.But now as only 1 month left,I've started giving CAT tests.My scores are not getting higher than 600 and quant section never completed on time.Please give me some tips on that.

As there is IR section in tests it takes lots of efforts before Quants started.I don't know whether this is for me or everyone face this.I've check review sections for my prep tests and found that DS is the section where I'm lagging.I need your help or guidance what can I do in this 1 month to overcome this.

Thanks
Harsh
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 550 Q30 V36
GMAT 2: 660 Q41 V40
GMAT 3: 670 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.27
WE: Corporate Finance (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 68

Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT exam one month away.. [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2013, 12:26
harshk88 wrote:
Hi Friends,

I'm an IT engineer with two years of experience.My GMAT is on April 17,2013 .I want to discuss with you that actually I started my prep by OG 12,MGMAT guides,kaplan 800 questions.But now as only 1 month left,I've started giving CAT tests.My scores are not getting higher than 600 and quant section never completed on time.Please give me some tips on that.

As there is IR section in tests it takes lots of efforts before Quants started.I don't know whether this is for me or everyone face this.I've check review sections for my prep tests and found that DS is the section where I'm lagging.I need your help or guidance what can I do in this 1 month to overcome this.

Thanks
Harsh

You need to learn how to estimate what two minutes feels like, you also need to work on learning when to move on. Using the timer for everything in your practice will really help you get a better feeling of how much time you actually spend on question types.

Keep practicing and using that timer and you'll get the timing down. Try to notice when you're spending too much time on a certain problem and either take those problems aside and learn different approaches or if you're getting too close to test day - know that you can't dedicate more than 90 or so seconds to those problem types on the test or else you'll get into the "I only need another minute.... or two.... or three" mode on the test and that's going to be what kills your quant score!

"You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you." - Walt Disney

Manager
Manager
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 79

Re: GMAT exam one month away.. [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2013, 13:00
RyanCJW is 100% correct: the important thing on the quant section is to get a sense of what two minutes feels like, and you definitely need to learn to let go of questions. If you don't see a clear path to the solution within a minute or two, just guess and move on. There's absolutely no point in spending five minutes chasing a question that you don't completely understand--that's a good way to get yourself into all sorts of trouble on the quant section.

On integrated reasoning, I think the best strategy is to conserve energy, and focus only on the questions that are relatively comfortable for you. If you're stronger with the data tables, for example, you might consider putting more energy into those, and maybe you would skip the algebraic questions or the wordier IR questions that resemble critical reasoning. Most MBA programs aren't putting much emphasis on the IR section yet, so there's no reason to rupture brain cells on that section. It's not adaptive either, so just skip the ones that give you trouble, and try to be accurate on the IR question types that you're comfortable with. As long as you fall somewhere close to the median score (currently 4.34 out of 8), you're probably fine.

Good luck, Harsh!

Helping students kick the GMAT in the nuts since 2002... www.gmatninja.com.

Re: GMAT exam one month away..   [#permalink] 13 Mar 2013, 13:00