Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 03:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT exam stratergy (Skip questions on the exam?)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT exam stratergy (Skip questions on the exam?) [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2010, 10:15
I've taken the gmatprep test and Manhattan tests and I am never able to finish the tests. In the quants sec...I can usually complete 33/37 and verbal 35/41. So on later practice exams I started skipping the questions in the beginning if it was taking too much time to solve.

I wanted to find out how the scoring works? Is it better to take time and solve the questions in the beginning of the test even if I don't have time for 5 questions at the end or is it better to skip questions that are taking time to solve. How does each approach affect the scoring?

Exam is in 10 days. Any input would be appreciated.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 7

Re: GMAT exam stratergy (Skip questions on the exam?) [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2010, 10:32
This post received
KUDOS
There is a high penalty in leaving any question unanswered. So make sure you answer each and every question in the exam. Time management is very important, and you have to know when it's time to move on. I would suggest if you are stuck with any question for more than 2.5 mins please do an educated guess (and if you'v got no clue then do not hesitate to make a wild guess) and keep going. You may spend a little extra time in the initial questions (as they would decide which score-range will you end up). If you have a couple of mins left for last 4-5 questions, use process of elimination and guess if needed. Make sure you do not spend time re-reading the questions when you are running late.

Make the best use of last 10 days by taking complete mock tests and you'll surely succeed.
All the best.
Prabir!!!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT exam stratergy (Skip questions on the exam?) [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2010, 12:10
ice789 wrote:
I've taken the gmatprep test and Manhattan tests and I am never able to finish the tests. In the quants sec...I can usually complete 33/37 and verbal 35/41. So on later practice exams I started skipping the questions in the beginning if it was taking too much time to solve.

I wanted to find out how the scoring works? Is it better to take time and solve the questions in the beginning of the test even if I don't have time for 5 questions at the end or is it better to skip questions that are taking time to solve. How does each approach affect the scoring?

The exact GMAT scoring methods are somewhat opaque, but I've read from ManhattanGMAT that the test penalizes somewhat strongly if you miss three questions in a row. Therefore, if you think you may have gotten two questions incorrect in a row , make sure you get the third question right.

If my post helped let me know with a kudo ;)

I teach in Paris, write about the GMAT/GRE, and provide online consulting for both of these tests www.standardizedtests.org http://fr.standardizedtests.org/ (french)
Cheers!

GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 398 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT exam stratergy (Skip questions on the exam?) [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2010, 18:17
You can not "skip" a question on the exam. You must provide an answer before you may move on to the next question.

Missing lower ranked problems will hurt your score more than missing higher ranked problems. Missing consecutive questions will drop your score band down (how the exam assess your ability). Don't try and benchmark of "knowing" what you got wrong.

Leaving questions blank (not completing the test) hurts you more than incorrect answers. It is imperative you finish the test.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: GMAT exam stratergy (Skip questions on the exam?) [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2010, 04:45
ice789 wrote:

Hey ice,

You should never leave a question unanswered.. That carries a more negative impact in your exam.. If you are stuck up with the starting questions, that means the starting 10 questions, it is ok even if you spend sometime with those questions cox the first ten questions score are too important than the last ones.. So try to do make the first one right... If you are not able to do the remainin , jus go for a wild gues.. :) But make a pretty gud elimination and opt for t best one..

It will have more impact if you get set of 5 questions wrong... So prepare well and ROCK... all the best..

---------------------------------------

If you like this post, Thanks with a kudos please :-D
Re: GMAT exam stratergy (Skip questions on the exam?)   [#permalink] 30 Apr 2010, 04:45