Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Dec 2014, 18:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Experience: 3rd Attempt - Finally Pulled it off

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Experience: 3rd Attempt - Finally Pulled it off [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2013, 15:57
I took the GMAT three times
2013: 730 Q48 V41 AW 5 IR 4
2012: 680 Q47 V35 AW 5 IR 7
2010: 700 Q48 V 37 AW 5

US born Asian ethnicity

During my first attempt I spent the two months I had off between college and work going through MGMAT 2010 edition and a Kaplan basic overview course. I honestly didn't spend that much time going through the MGMAT books and the only practice problems I did were from the OG & Kaplan. My preparation was basic at best - Kaplan did help me with developing a framework for the Essays which did make taking the test easier

2nd Attempt = Disaster. I signed up for the Kaplan Advanced course, but my preparation honestly sucked. The only problems I did were through Kaplan and the official GMAT tests - I didn't even get through all the OG questions (this alone should set off alarm bells). Additionally, I was distracted by work and the combination of all of this points toward my score trajectory

3rd Attempt = Awesome. I first started by reading through all of the MGMAT Quant books(2 months - procrastination played a role here). Once I was done with those I began to do all of Jeff Sackman's problems (around 1000). At the same time I began to go through the MGMAT Verbal books - honestly, the only part which really helps is the sentence correction book. After finishing Sackman's problem sets (1 month) I then started going through the OG (both book and GMAT software), where everyday I did Quant & Verbal problems (3 weeks). The period from when I started preparing to when I took the test was September 2012 - Jan 2013. So during the last 6 weeks I did a combination of Sackman + OG + MGMAT Tests + Two Official Tests (final two weeks).

Test - Day: I took the day before off - during this day off I took a leftover MGMAT test. Test Day in general went well, there were some negatives - I should have done better on IR and probably spent more time on Verbal.

Anyway, the last test was the final one and I look forward to applying to B-School later this year.

P.M. me for any details
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Schools: Smith '16 (I)

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: GMAT Experience: 3rd Attempt - Finally Pulled it off [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2013, 23:56
Hi.. First of all congratz for your score...

I am in a similar situation, I just got Jeff,s 1000 Q set..how close were those to the real GMAT?

Thanks

Life is very similar to a boxing ring.
Defeat is not final when you fall down…
It is final when you refuse to get up and fight back!

1 Kudos = 1 thanks
Nikhil

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Experience: 3rd Attempt - Finally Pulled it off [#permalink] New post 03 May 2013, 09:46
They were very similar - well worth it
Manager
Manager
Schools: Smith '16 (I)

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: GMAT Experience: 3rd Attempt - Finally Pulled it off [#permalink] New post 04 May 2013, 01:06
pzak wrote:
They were very similar - well worth it

Ok.. Was a bit apprehensive, as many ppl say its old now and were a true GMAT representative back when they were published I.e 2008-2010

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit

Life is very similar to a boxing ring.
Defeat is not final when you fall down…
It is final when you refuse to get up and fight back!

1 Kudos = 1 thanks
Nikhil

Re: GMAT Experience: 3rd Attempt - Finally Pulled it off   [#permalink] 04 May 2013, 01:06