Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Jul 2014, 23:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Experience : 710 , AWA- 6 , IR - 8

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Experience : 710 , AWA- 6 , IR - 8 [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2012, 13:24
This post received
KUDOS
Hi All ,
I took the GMAT a few weeks ago . I prepared for around 2 months. While I was worried that IR section will add to my nightmares , it turned out quite the opposite.
Got perfect scores in AWA and IR.

710 - Q - 49 , V - 38

The majority of my preparation was on the verbal. My verbal scores have generally been decent hovering around 36 and I thought a solid preparation will help me cross 40. During all my practice exams I was losing concentration , in a sense that , atleast in one area I will just perform really badly. The other sections will be ok. It was disturbing as it seemed like I was good in all sections , but could not bring it all together in one exam.

In the GMAT prep I took before the exam I scored a 730 (50 , 40 ) and was happy about it. I really knew the MGMAT SC page by page. But tell you what , none of this will help you in the exam.

I generally do well in real tests than practice tests as I concentrate much more. So I was satisfied with the progress and took the last 5 days a little easy. I did not take any tests during this time.

The key I think I missed was building stamina and performing consistently. In the actual exam , I moved slowly. AWA - I was always behind the clock since I took time to script my response. I did the same with IR. Take your time. Move slowly. I had decided that out of 12 I will complete 10 properly. So even when I was behind the clock I was ok with it. I did take those 2 guesses , (not blindly, but spent little time).

As it turns out , this has helped me quite well.. However the problem was , I think my brain was already firing all cylinders. By the end of the quants , I felt surprisingly normal. But when I started taking the verbal , I could notice I was spending way too much time on the first 10 questions. I kept on saying that I can catch up.. And started making 2 answers quickly in every 10. I could never catch up and in the end I had to finish the last 15 odd questions in around 20 minutes. I could hardly read it once and had to make an answer and move on. I am pretty sure my score dipped atleast a couple of points here..

So here is my tip , when you are doing verbal , practice to work in this speed. (around 1 minute per question), specially for SC. If you cannot do this , don't take the exam. Am serious.

RC accuracy can be improved drastically by writing notes while you read.. but it consumes a lot of time.. (In hindsight , I guess I lost any advantage I gained from RC). So you definitely need to improve on SC.

In case of CR , if you cannot process all the fallacies and question types within 75 seconds , I would say dont bother spending too much time on learning the stem and fallacies. Instead do more questions , so that your brain is wired to identify mistakes by default..

I know I have certain strange suggestions here. This is applicable for people who can score 650+ without any preparation. If you can build a good stamina , practice doing SC really fast and internalize CR reasoning , I believe it will make a difference.

Ofcourse try these tips during your practice test. Dont go to the exam hall like an idiot without any plan on timing ( which is what I did)..Good luck all.

I was a little disappointed when I saw the score to be less than 730. I am pretty confident that on a good day my verbal score would have touched 40.. I am not sure how I am going to go about this.. I dont have the energy to go through this ordeal again.. Does any one think perfect scores in IR and AWA will help my application look better than a simple 710.. ?

Cheers
=/=
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 305 [0], given: 190

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: GMAT Experience : 710 , AWA- 6 , IR - 8 [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2012, 01:50
inequality wrote:

In case of CR , if you cannot process all the fallacies and question types within 75 seconds , I would say dont bother spending too much time on learning the stem and fallacies. Instead do more questions , so that your brain is wired to identify mistakes by default..

=/=

Could you please elaborate on this point.

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

Re: GMAT Experience : 710 , AWA- 6 , IR - 8 [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2012, 03:21
This post received
KUDOS
This is my personal experience.. Apply it during practice tests and see if it works..

Always keep speed of answering as a critical criteria as well. Apply every step you want to methodically in practice tests and try improving on speed. If the speed is not improving and you end up spending more than 1.5 mins on each CR question , it is better to use a common sense approach.

Common sense approach of reading the stimulus very carefully , rephrasing it and eliminating incorrect answers. Dont waste time classifying questions stems or finding out fallacies.. (Knowing fallacies will be a huge help.. even in AWA.. I am just saying , applying the PS CR methods as-is seems like a waste of time for people with good reasoning skills)
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 305 [0], given: 190

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: GMAT Experience : 710 , AWA- 6 , IR - 8 [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2012, 12:38
inequality wrote:
This is my personal experience.. Apply it during practice tests and see if it works..

Always keep speed of answering as a critical criteria as well. Apply every step you want to methodically in practice tests and try improving on speed. If the speed is not improving and you end up spending more than 1.5 mins on each CR question , it is better to use a common sense approach.

Common sense approach of reading the stimulus very carefully , rephrasing it and eliminating incorrect answers. Dont waste time classifying questions stems or finding out fallacies.. (Knowing fallacies will be a huge help.. even in AWA.. I am just saying , applying the PS CR methods as-is seems like a waste of time for people with good reasoning skills)

Thanks, see your point. Tend to forget so many small points that Powerscore mentions. It more about practice than strategy.

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 82

Re: GMAT Experience : 710 , AWA- 6 , IR - 8 [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2012, 11:47
Congrats..!! realy gud score..!!.. I am trying to get this one :P

Suggest few good points for RC and CR..!!..

Bole So Nehal.. Sat Siri Akal.. Waheguru ji help me to get 700+ score !

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Experience : 710 , AWA- 6 , IR - 8 [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2012, 00:33
Hey congrates!!!
Could you please state what was your accuracy score in verbal (SC CR RC )?
and also what was your mock test scores?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Experience : 710 , AWA- 6 , IR - 8 [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2012, 10:55
RC - Read each para and write the gist. And just note down the purpose of each para. Do this in all the practice tests.
CR - I read PowerScore. But as I said before , I could not improve on it much. I would suggest practice under time constraints and use error logs to track common mistakes.

My GMAT prep was 680 before I started the prep. 730 before my exam.
MGMAT was 700 , 710 , 690.

I had some old Kaplan tests. That score was horrendous around 630 - 640 I think. But their old tests was ridiculous.

Per section it was very hard , it was hovering all over the place. In one test I got 13/15 RCs correct and half of the CR wrong. The reverse has happened as well. When it came together I had around 8 errors in verbal overall and it gave me a score of 41.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 25

Re: GMAT Experience : 710 , AWA- 6 , IR - 8 [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2012, 17:48
Hey,

I think it's too late to ask....maybe Inequality is no longer checking the posts!

However, which edition of the powerscore CR did you use? (I have a old edition...Should I go for a new one)

Regards,

Achu
Re: GMAT Experience : 710 , AWA- 6 , IR - 8   [#permalink] 04 Dec 2012, 17:48