Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 05:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Experience- lousy 490 score help needed

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CAMS, CAIIB
Schools: St John's University-Tobin, NY and ISB
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

GMAT Experience- lousy 490 score help needed [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2011, 06:12
Hi,

Today I appeared for GMAT after 2 months on -off perp and scored 490. Break down of scores

Scaled percentile
Quant 30 26
Verbal 27 43
I also attempted the experimental section, all stats and graphs interpretation in that section. I had scored 550 while I took the GMAT prep test that is about a month ago, after that had ordered MGMAT -Number Properties and SC Guide ( both books came by post on 25june ) . Books used were = GMAT -Foundations of GMAT Math ( totally done ), OG Quant Review and OG Verbal Review ( partially done ) My AWA section went well thanks to template of chineseburned.

Can some person help me in making a study plan and an error log . Have not used both till now. I need to take the GMAT again sometime end of NOV and score atleast 650 . I really need a day-day detailed study plan, and more importantly analysis of weak areas in Quant. In verbal my weak area is SC
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 238 [1] , given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: GMAT Experience- lousy 490 score help needed [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2011, 07:00
This post received
KUDOS
Hey perhaps you want to take a look at my blog. I started off with 490 on Day 1 and moved to 610 and still trying to improve my verbal and such. My plan initially wasnt as conducive so it would be in your best interest to congest my plan into maybe three to four weeks of rigorous studying.

If you have any questions, let me know!

I also think you should go through each one of OG questions and thoroughly review your mistakes and try to understand the concepts behind them.

Powerscore CR Bible Full Chapter Notes | Easily Extend Vocabulary List with Google Dictionary

Please kudo me if you found my post useful. Thanks!!! :)

Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 86

Kudos [?]: 490 [0], given: 432

Premium Member
Re: GMAT Experience- lousy 490 score help needed [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2011, 17:57
Expert's post
At the moment, focusing on specifics is probably not the best route to success. You need to completely redesign your study plan. So before we even think about the details, let's look at the big picture.

The "on-off" strategy simply doesn't work. You need to fully commit yourself to achieve a good score. And two months of study is not enough time for most of us to prepare.

Any foundations book, while perhaps an okay start, is insufficient for anything beyond the 500-level. I also suspect that you lacked enough time to fully absorb the material from the two Manhattan guides mentioned. If that is the case, then you basically didn't incorporate any guidebooks. And the OG material wasn't even fully completed.

Based on this information, I suggest:

1. Guidebooks - Buy the Manhattan math series and the Powerscore CR Bible. Study the Manhattan SC guide.
2. Question Practice - Finish all of the problems in the OG Quant, OG Verbal, and OG12. Use them alongside the Manhattan books. Complete the two GMATPrep tests.
3. Dedication - Study everyday for at least two to three months. Finish all of the books, and re-read some if necessary. Create an error log and become an active member on GMATClub to improve and stay motivated.

For an error log, you can find many different approaches on this website. But the error log is just a means to an end and shouldn't be anything too fancy. Just mark down what type of question you answered incorrectly and the reason why your choice was wrong.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Experience- lousy 490 score help needed [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2011, 09:18
Mahtab wrote:
Hey perhaps you want to take a look at my blog. I started off with 490 on Day 1 and moved to 610 and still trying to improve my verbal and such. My plan initially wasnt as conducive so it would be in your best interest to congest my plan into maybe three to four weeks of rigorous studying.

I also think you should go through each one of OG questions and thoroughly review your mistakes and try to understand the concepts behind them.

Thanks mahtab,

Your Error log in the blog is great, I will use the same format.

rgds
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Re: GMAT Experience- lousy 490 score help needed [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2011, 09:28
even i appeared the test on 13 of this month...i prepared for 3 months. in the test my score were as follows
princeton - 530- 6 june
princeton- 590- 13 june
manhattan1 610-19 june
gmat prep- 610 -30 june
actual gmat 510(q 44 v 17)
i never scored so badly in any of the test. the prob which i felt was the temptrament. i was not able to concentrate properly after 1 tough rc. after that i thought i ruined my paper and was not able to concentrate. that actually worsen my paper. does anyone has nay suggestion. i am planning to go for fall 2012. how much time i should take more now to again prepare for the verbal..is their any plan to do the verbal. please help me !!!!

TO LIVE ONE LIFE , YOU HAVE TO DIE HUNDRED DEATHS....

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Experience- lousy 490 score help needed [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2011, 09:39
bmillan01 wrote:
At the moment, focusing on specifics is probably not the best route to success. You need to completely redesign your study plan. So before we even think about the details, let's look at the big picture.

The "on-off" strategy simply doesn't work. You need to fully commit yourself to achieve a good score. And two months of study is not enough time for most of us to prepare.

Any foundations book, while perhaps an okay start, is insufficient for anything beyond the 500-level. I also suspect that you lacked enough time to fully absorb the material from the two Manhattan guides mentioned. If that is the case, then you basically didn't incorporate any guidebooks. And the OG material wasn't even fully completed.

Based on this information, I suggest:

1. Guidebooks - Buy the Manhattan math series and the Powerscore CR Bible. Study the Manhattan SC guide.
2. Question Practice - Finish all of the problems in the OG Quant, OG Verbal, and OG12. Use them alongside the Manhattan books. Complete the two GMATPrep tests.
3. Dedication - Study everyday for at least two to three months. Finish all of the books, and re-read some if necessary. Create an error log and become an active member on GMATClub to improve and stay motivated.

For an error log, you can find many different approaches on this website. But the error log is just a means to an end and shouldn't be anything too fancy. Just mark down what type of question you answered incorrectly and the reason why your choice was wrong.

Thanks bmillan01,
Am going to join a coaching class since i am the kind of person who needs a tutor, because if i again attempt on my own steam then the perp would be slack. I will be starting classes this week.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: GMAT Experience- lousy 490 score help needed [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2011, 10:37
vincent28 wrote:
Mahtab wrote:

Thanks mahtab,

Your Error log in the blog is great, I will use the same format.

rgds

No problem! Glad it helped :). Just a reminder, if you take a closer look at the bottom of the spreadsheet, there is an error log for CR, SC, and "Online Quant" (questions I get wrong from gmat prep test or other online forums)

Powerscore CR Bible Full Chapter Notes | Easily Extend Vocabulary List with Google Dictionary

Please kudo me if you found my post useful. Thanks!!! :)

Re: GMAT Experience- lousy 490 score help needed   [#permalink] 19 Jul 2011, 10:37