Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 17:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Experience Posts Template

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
12 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 86

Kudos [?]: 490 [12] , given: 432

Premium Member
GMAT Experience Posts Template [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2010, 09:44
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
GMAT Debrief:
The GMAT debrief is a very important part of GMATClub. Members learn a great deal from the test experience and insights of others. It will also help the community to provide you with recommendations if you are not satisfied with the result and plan on retaking. The debrief can also bring a sense of closure for the author, as well as some kudos points! Here are a few ideas to help you to recount your own personal GMAT experience.

1. Gather your thoughts
The GMAT will leave you emotionally and mentally exhausted. Take a moment to settle down and collect your thoughts, but don’t take too long or forget to post your debrief!

2. The Meat of the Debrief
Please include as much detail as possible - that makes the story very personable and interesting to read. Some suggestions to include are:
  • Books & materials used
  • Test scores you received along the way (your diagnostic test score, mid-point, comparison to your final performance, etc.)
  • Background information (education, employment, etc.)
  • Length of study
  • General strategy
  • If you have created notes or any kind of interesting or valuable resources, consider attaching them with your post.
  • If you found any interesting blogs or materials online, consider providing a link.
  • Words of Advice
    • Things you wish you knew
    • Things you have learned
    • Things you wasted your time on
    • Finally, your test experience

And be sure to offer some advice and product reviews for those still studying. You are the expert and perhaps thousands of people will read your debrief and will try to follow in your footsteps.

3. Organization
Try to present the information in a logical, easy-to-follow format. Use paragraph breaks for new topics or to divide big blocks of information. Also consider lists, as well as bold headings and different font sizes (such as Header2 and Header3 buttons we have). Correct grammar, sentence structure, and punctuation also help. For more help with formatting, see here.

4. Updates
Don’t forget to check your thread! Sometimes we forget to add a few things while first preparing the debrief. Don’t hesitate to edit your post. Interested members may also ask you a few questions; try to answer them.

Complaints and Frustration:
Sooner or later, we all become fed up with the GMAT. Some express their problems on the forums and seek advice, while others simply need an outlet to vent their frustration. Either way, these posts are welcome on the forums. After all, members are here to help one another. But please consider the following while typing these posts.

1. Specifics
Please explain your problems with as much detail as possible. Include your study habits, length of study, and materials used. If you can, also describe the problem. If there’s anything else relevant to add, then please do so.

2. Language
Although our emotions can overwhelm us during these troubled times, try to avoid profanity. You’re much more likely to receive a prompt and helpful response this way.

3. Don’t stay too negative
Sometimes it really feels too difficult to see the bright side of things. This is especially true in the opening post. But try to be open-minded with replies. Remaining negative or curtly dismissing anyone’s attempt to help will only further alienate yourself and prevent you from achieving your goals.

My GMAT Journey:
These threads are among the most interesting contributions on the forums. Indeed, mini-communities can form within these threads as well as many discussions independent of the original author! As such, managing this type of thread requires more commitment than the other two previously mentioned. It’s also more difficult to offer specific advice. Still, there are at least three things to keep in mind.

1. Update Regularly
While we certainly don’t demand a daily update, try to maintain a consistent schedule - this will hep you to stay on track as well and keep a schedule. Even if you have nothing major to post, it wouldn’t hurt to reply to comments or perhaps even ask questions of your own. Let followers know that you’re there.

2. Answer Questions
These threads are fascinating and attract a great deal of attention, so expect some questions. In fact, you may be bombarded by many questions! Try to answer them and encourage people as much as possible.

3. The End
As a courtesy to your followers, make sure to inform them your GMAT journey is over. Also include your debrief or provide a link to it.

Audience:
1. Read the post
Before commenting, make sure to read the whole post. Sometimes, the answer to your question is already provided.

2.Gratitude
If the debrief helps you in any way, make sure to thank the person and perhaps even award a kudos. People who spend the time to prepare an informative and interesting debrief deserve as much credit as we can give them.

3. Be polite
If you find a particular GMAT Experience post incomplete or want further information, then point this out. But do so in a civil manner. Any rudeness will NOT be tolerated. This, by the way, is not a suggestion.

4. Padding of posts
Don't use debriefs for excessively padding your posts. Although there's no specific numerical guideline to follow, common sense should be enough. But perhaps an example will help clarify the matter: one recent member posted over 200 "congratulations!" replies in less than three hours. Don't do that.

Examples:
1. Debrief

2. Complaints and Frustration

3. My GMAT Journey

4. Audience

Please keep in mind, though, that these tips are merely friendly suggestions and in no way are members required to adopt a specific standard for these threads. We want all members to be themselves, and anything that you contribute will be greatly appreciated. :)

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Knewton GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: HBS, Stanford, Haas, Ross, Cornell, LBS, INSEAD, Oxford, IESE/IE
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 144 [1] , given: 117

Re: GMAT Experience Posts Template [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2010, 05:44
This post received
KUDOS
I wanna start a gmat journey thread for me to keep myself on track and get motivated to keep on doing gmat stuff (prepping) regularly. Just wondering, is there any suggested time limit to start the journey thread before G-day date (like three months before the test date)? Any thoughts??

"Don't be afraid of the space between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so."
Target=780
http://challengemba.blogspot.com
Kudos??

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: GMAT Experience Posts Template [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2011, 08:13
This post received
KUDOS
If the debrief helps you in any way, make sure to thank the person and perhaps even award a kudos. People who spend the time to prepare an informative and interesting debrief deserve as much credit as we can give them.
1 KUDOS received
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 324 [1] , given: 191

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: GMAT Experience Posts Template [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2012, 13:46
This post received
KUDOS
Another good point to include would be the background in a couple of lines - especially something that differentiates the GMAT taker from an average person.

For example whether the person has appeared for LSAT/ Indian CAT, has a PhD in a technical field, is a professional editor etc. Such information could add an unseen dimenson to the debrief.

For example, I read one debrief on BTG forum where the poster mentioned that he got a 760 in 2.5 months and said that he was an average joe in a average job. Later found out through some other posts that he guy had appreared for Indian CAT. In India people appear for this exam for 2-4 consecutive years.

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Expert Post
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 490 [0], given: 432

Premium Member
Re: GMAT Experience Posts Template [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2010, 08:58
Expert's post
Three months actually sounds perfect! And don't hesitate to recount any past experiences with the GMAT for background information. To be honest, almost anything that you think of will entertain and help other members. :)

Thanks for your contribution, and many thanks for actually posting a reply here! I felt somewhat insecure whether this thread actually helped other members.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: HBS, Stanford, Haas, Ross, Cornell, LBS, INSEAD, Oxford, IESE/IE
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 117

Re: GMAT Experience Posts Template [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2010, 19:22
bmillan01 wrote:
Three months actually sounds perfect! And don't hesitate to recount any past experiences with the GMAT for background information. To be honest, almost anything that you think of will entertain and help other members. :)

Thanks for your contribution, and many thanks for actually posting a reply here! I felt somewhat insecure that this thread actually helped other members.

This thread does help others but I think people actually follow the instructions jotted down here instead of replying and it's because everything is written here. So no queries, no replies (That's what I think).
Thank you! for providing the templates and/or instructions :).

"Don't be afraid of the space between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so."
Target=780
http://challengemba.blogspot.com
Kudos??

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 3

Re: GMAT Experience Posts Template [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2010, 12:47
hey
i guess it depends how hard your are studing...i am pretty sure you will feel it when you are ready to take the test!!! keep being motivated, but three month its a good period!!!
good luck
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 3

Re: GMAT Experience Posts Template [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2011, 11:14
hey,
study hard and focus on your goal...keep going and allways think positiv!!!
good luck
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 12

Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT Experience Posts Template [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2011, 10:58
I think this is a great guide for anyone that anyone that just took a test or any newbie thats on a journey
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Experience Posts Template [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2011, 11:43
Thank you for sharing
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: GMAT Experience Posts Template [#permalink] New post 25 May 2011, 20:25
Thanks for sharing
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Experience Posts Template [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2011, 05:59
thank you for sharing
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Experience Posts Template [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2011, 23:02
Good format ... it will provide solid understanding for other guys who are preparing
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 45

Re: GMAT Experience Posts Template [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2011, 00:21
Thanks 4 contribution
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V29
GPA: 2.4
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 38

Re: GMAT Experience Posts Template [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2011, 05:59
I took my GMAT and didn't do as expected..I have updated my experience but didn't update my weekly progress..I think this post provides a good reason to do so..

Thank You !!

All men dream - but not equally. Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity... But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.

Expert Post
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 490 [0], given: 432

Premium Member
Re: GMAT Experience Posts Template [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2012, 21:22
Expert's post
AbhiJ wrote:
Another good point to include would be the background in a couple of lines - especially something that differentiates the GMAT taker from an average person.

Good point, AbhiJ. Your suggestion has been added. Thank you and kudos!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 39

Re: GMAT Experience Posts Template [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2012, 09:51
Thanks for the template.
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Experience Posts Template [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2012, 06:28
I like writng and comend at your furom
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.92
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: GMAT Experience Posts Template [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2012, 12:43
I will soon start a blog with more details

Regards
BUZZZ
www.gmatexecmba.blogspot.com

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Experience Posts Template [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2013, 20:03
I just took the GMAT and got a 730 on it. This was something I had been expecting - the very first test I took ( without any preparation) was the official GMATPrep Test and I got a 720 on it. After 3 weeks of intense study, my actual score was only 10 points higher ( not that I am complaining) . According to me , the best indicator of your real score is the GMATPrep test - its places you within a 20 point range of your real score. The books that are a MUST for preparation are : Kaplan 800, the OG and the Manhattan guides. More than reading theory, it is important to give many tests and review them thoroughly - for Verbal, it is necessary to come up with a strategy to answer the questions. I have heard many people say that the Verbal section in the real GMAT is tougher than any of the practice questions that you will ever do - this might be true, but if you have a strategy for tackling the questions, you will be able to solve the questions - no matter how tough they might be.

The breakup was : Quant - 48 and Verbal -44. English is not my first language and I was able to achieve the high verbal score only because I developed my own strategy for solving the questions. In sentence correction, things like parallelism and pronoun use are the most commonly tested concepts. The Manhattan Guides are very good for the Verbal section, especially sentence correction.

I hope this helps, and all the very best to future GMAT test takers!
Re: GMAT Experience Posts Template   [#permalink] 15 Jul 2013, 20:03