Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 20:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT experience..shaken my confidence

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

GMAT experience..shaken my confidence [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2010, 07:08
Hi Guys, I appeared for GMAT exam today....and scored a dismal..640..Q50..V27

Till today what I have done:--

Verbal:-
1 OG 12, OG 10, Kaplan800
2. Manhattan SC
3. Tests taken : GMAT prep
a. Test1:710
b. Test2 :690
Retook tests after installing in different PC.
c. Test1 (retake) : 720
d. Test2 (retake) : 740
e. Free Knewtown test: 690
f. Free Platinum test: 690.
So you can see that my GMAT D-day score is the lowest score (:.

I need to get atleast 700 and need you guys' suggestion..

I am strong in maths..no not much worried about it..but need to improve in verbal........
I have thought of the following course of actions:-
1. OG 11.
2. Aristotol SC & RC99
3. CR bible...I need some serious improvement on this.
4. Could you suggest any other material which can really shape my basics on verbal...

My gmat exprience:-

Quant: It went well I got two questions on permutation-combination.
Verbal: I really didn't know what went wrong. First three SC questions were out of the box..no special type..My guess is I made more mistakes in first 10 questions which cost me HEAVILY.

Lessons learnt: Since I used to get around 690 in GMAT prac test, I was over confident that I would score around 700..so bit casual which cost me heavily.
I will chill out this month and will restart prep from Dec...any suggestion on how to improve verbal will be greatly appreciated....
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Alpha Psi Omega
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V37
GRE 1: 1310 Q630 V680
GPA: 3.16
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 14

Re: GMAT experience..shaken my confidence [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2010, 07:56
I play a silly game for Verbal SC. Move things around in your head until you get a feel for what the GMAT considers incorrect, wordy, etc. Take simple phrases you normally say without a thought and think of all the different ways GMAT might throw these phrases at you. Make yourself laugh. The one that makes you laugh the least is the best answer :wink: .

1. "I wanted to have some pizza, initially; nonetheless, there had not been enough slices left."
2. "Initially, I wanted to have some pizza; however, there were not plenty of slices for me to have eaten."
3. "I wanted to have some pizza; however, there were no slices of pizza left."
4. "I had wanted to have some pizza: but it was all gone, before."
5. "Pizza, initially, I had wanted to have had - heretofore, I sha'n't any be eating."

Did I help you? Please give me kudos.

Each moment of time ought to be put to proper use, either in business, in improving the mind, in the innocent and necessary relaxations and entertainments of life, or in the care of the moral and religious part of our nature.

-William Andrus Alcott

Re: GMAT experience..shaken my confidence   [#permalink] 03 Nov 2010, 07:56