Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 05:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT experience!!! Where did this go wrong.....inputs please

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
GMAT experience!!! Where did this go wrong.....inputs please [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2011, 00:43
Hey guys!!!!

Its nice to be back to gmc atfer a short break.....I guess I'm done for this year. I got dinged by 5 schools :shock: ....almost from all the schools I would want to go.....heres how it went....

Wrote GMAT July 2010 - 690 (Q48 V35 AWA - 5.0) - Bombed....but still decent I guess
Wrote Toefl Oct '10 - 109 - Decent

Target Schools -
1. UT Austin McCombs school - Dinged without interview
2. Teaxas A&M - Dinged (after first round of informal interview)
3. University of Maryland Smith School - Dinged w interview
4. U. of Minnesota Carlson School - Dinged w interview
5. Indian school of business (ISB Hyderabad) - Dinged w/o interview
6. Canada york Schulich - Awaited

Profile - 2.6 years of I.T. experience at the time of applying. Decent extra curriculars. And as far as I know a decent application package as well.

-I belong to the Indian IT pool.
-Undergrad percentage (65%)
-Career switcher from a sftw development profile to a Hi-Tech marketing profile.

So was it...the wrong choice of schools....or a weak profile....or something else....How can I imporve my chances for reapplying later sometimes?

Regards

Last edited by papillon86 on 24 Feb 2011, 09:28, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 84

Kudos [?]: 470 [0], given: 431

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: GMAT experience!!! Where did go wrong.....inputs please [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2011, 15:19
Expert's post
Sorry about your tough year, papillon86. While you wait for more capable members to offer their advice, allow me to offer my initial thoughts.

Your GMAT is very good! Perhaps the score differential between the verbal and quant is not ideally balanced, but a 690 is nothing to feel bad about at all. But what is your background, exactly? If you're an Indian with an IT background, then you have some tough competition - wherever you apply. There are so, so many MBA students with this background. The selection process will be tougher on that group, as schools want a balanced student body.

Another issue might be your work experience. Less than three years might not be enough. The only way to fix that is to simply wait.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT experience!!! Where did go wrong.....inputs please [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2011, 09:27
Thanks for the feedback...I guess you are right.

But to support my question, here is a vital piece of Info I missed.

I belong to the Indian IT pool, as you right pointed out. Undergrad percentage (65%), Career switcher from a sftw development profile to a Hi-Tech marketing profile.

Do you think I should try and improve my scores further or just wait and gather more work ex including some international exposure. Is it worth the effort?

Regards
Expert Post
SVP
SVP

Re: GMAT experience!!! Where did this go wrong.....inputs please [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2011, 13:05
Expert's post
I am somewhat hesitant to respond here, so please use my advice with caution.

Your quant is fine, so just maintain that level. If possible, go for the GMATClub tests to keep your score in the high 40's. The verbal section, though, is where you will earn the big points. If you want to retake the exam, then you must offer a strong performance in that section. Another viable option is to simply keep your 690. Again, it's a good score.

For work, another year would probably help your chances. Also look into some community service to balance out your resume. At the very least, it wouldn't hurt.

Another issue relates to the interviews. You were in some, so that's a good sign that you almost made it. Improving your interview skills would help you for the rematch. You have some practice now and know how to better prepare.

And yes, I think that it's worth it to work for a little while longer. Maybe diversify your search as well. Europe, for example, might have something to offer.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT experience!!! Where did this go wrong.....inputs please [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2011, 18:32
You might consider working on your interview skills. It looks you you made it to the interview with about half of your applications. Make sure you have a compelling story that you are telling. Also, with your demographics, (Indian, IT) the competition is fierce. Good luck
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT experience!!! Where did this go wrong.....inputs please [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2011, 10:15
Thanks for the candid feedback. Really appreciate it.

I gather that I neeed to work on interview skills and improve my verbal score if I can.

Regards
Expert Post
SVP
SVP

Re: GMAT experience!!! Where did this go wrong.....inputs please [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2011, 14:18
Expert's post
Also, post your concerns in the forum found below. Answers will come from professionals, and it's free! They should be able to provide additional advice.

admission-consultants-124/

Re: GMAT experience!!! Where did this go wrong.....inputs please   [#permalink] 25 Feb 2011, 14:18