Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 05:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT experience!!! Where did go wrong.....inputs please

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
GMAT experience!!! Where did go wrong.....inputs please [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2011, 00:45
Hey guys!!!!

Its nice to be back to gmc atfer a short break.....I guess I'm done for this year. I got dinged by 5 schools :shock: ....almost from all the schools I would want to go.....heres how it went....

Wrote GMAT July 2010 - 690 (Q48 V35 AWA - 5.0) - Bombed....but still decent I guess
Wrote Toefl Oct '10 - 109 - Decent

Target Schools -
1. UT Austin McCombs school - Dinged without interview
2. Teaxas A&M - Dinged (after first round of informal interview)
3. University of Maryland Smith School - Dinged w interview
4. U. of Minnesota Carlson School - Dinged w interview
5. Indian school of business (ISB Hyderabad) - Dinged w/o interview
6. Canada york Schulich - Awaited

Profile - 2.6 years of I.T. experience at the time of applying. Decent extra curriculars. And as far as I know a decent application package as well.

So was it...the wrong choice of schools....or a weak profile....or something else....How can I imporve my chances for reapplying later sometimes.....

Regards
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT experience!!! Where did go wrong.....inputs please [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2011, 13:25
papillon86 wrote:
Hey guys!!!!

Its nice to be back to gmc atfer a short break.....I guess I'm done for this year. I got dinged by 5 schools :shock: ....almost from all the schools I would want to go.....heres how it went....

Wrote GMAT July 2010 - 690 (Q48 V35 AWA - 5.0) - Bombed....but still decent I guess
Wrote Toefl Oct '10 - 109 - Decent

Target Schools -
1. UT Austin McCombs school - Dinged without interview
2. Teaxas A&M - Dinged (after first round of informal interview)
3. University of Maryland Smith School - Dinged w interview
4. U. of Minnesota Carlson School - Dinged w interview
5. Indian school of business (ISB Hyderabad) - Dinged w/o interview
6. Canada york Schulich - Awaited

Profile - 2.6 years of I.T. experience at the time of applying. Decent extra curriculars. And as far as I know a decent application package as well.

So was it...the wrong choice of schools....or a weak profile....or something else....How can I imporve my chances for reapplying later sometimes.....

Regards

All of the above. Look the only information we have from you here is your GMAT score and your work exp. It would be nice to have your GPA. So far, I would say that there is something that happen in your essays, or your recommendation letters were not that good. If you have a 3+ GPA, and some extra curricular activities with leadership, the schools you applied look like safeties.

Anyway, I guess you need to check with an admission consultant, I am sure they will find out what happen pretty easily.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 10

Re: GMAT experience!!! Where did go wrong.....inputs please [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2011, 15:26
This post received
KUDOS
I think the wording of the thread title speaks for itself
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 8

Re: GMAT experience!!! Where did go wrong.....inputs please [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2011, 15:59
Your GMAT, GPA stats look fine, if not, above average for the schools you've applied to.

It might be your essays, but then you got a few interviews. So if I had to narrow it down based on the limited data you provided, I'd say it's your interviews that went wrong. Did you get any feedbacks from other people while practicing interviews? Perhaps email the alums you've interviewed with. Some of them are willing to give feedbacks.

Good luck!
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT experience!!! Where did go wrong.....inputs please [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2011, 09:15
dallasstar wrote:
I think the wording of the thread title speaks for itself

Is it? How....?

Anyways...thanks for replying to this thread....
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT experience!!! Where did this go wrong.....inputs please [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2011, 09:22
I think I missed some vital piece of information here.....

although I mentioned...but still in clearer words.

I belong to the Indian IT pool. Undergrad percentage (65%). career switcher from software development profile to a Hi-Tech marketing profile.

Now what is everybody's take on my GMAT score? Do you think I need more or rather wait and have more work exp, some international exposure and then go ahead after a few years.

Regards
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT experience!!! Where did go wrong.....inputs please [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2011, 09:43
I think you might benefit from a creative writing class. Just judging from your posts, your writing style, punctuation, and word choice are a bit awkward. With a lower verbal GMAT score and if your essays weren’t entirely clear, the admissions committee may have identified verbal and writing abilities as weaknesses in your application. You could overcome these weaknesses by taking a writing class to show the admissions committee that you’re aware of the issues and have taken action to correct them.
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT experience!!! Where did this go wrong.....inputs please [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2011, 10:18
papillon86 wrote:
I think I missed some vital piece of information here.....

although I mentioned...but still in clearer words.

I belong to the Indian IT pool. Undergrad percentage (65%). career switcher from software development profile to a Hi-Tech marketing profile.

Now what is everybody's take on my GMAT score? Do you think I need more or rather wait and have more work exp, some international exposure and then go ahead after a few years.

Regards

I highly doubt that your GMAT score is the reason of the ding. The schools you applied to have, generally speaking, a higher tolerance of GMAT score being low. But yours is not low. You may want to work for at least another before you think about MBA only because you'd be on the lower end of the age spectrum for these business schools. Seeing how you've landed interviews at several schools tells me even more that you're on par with what these schools are looking for. If I had to guess, you probably didn't do as well in your interview and that your essays may not be portraying the best of who you are.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: GMAT experience!!! Where did this go wrong.....inputs please   [#permalink] 24 Feb 2011, 10:18