Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Dec 2014, 03:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT First Attempt - A Horror Story

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management
GMAT Date: 03-25-2014
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 129

GMAT First Attempt - A Horror Story [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2014, 09:37
A little bit of background of past 3 odd months:
Target Score: 700+
Gave my GMAT last week and it was a disaster. I scored 640 (Q48,V28 :O, IR 6). Hugely disappointed with my verbal score. I am a non-native english speaker but I am not terrible at it. Even in any of my mock tests I did not score less than 32 in verbal and that was in my diagnostic GMATPrep test.

Background of my prep:
Quant - MGMAT Guides, OG13(twice), Official Guide 2nd edition, GMATPrep Questions. Few questions from 700-800 level questions collection
Verbal -
SC - Manhattan GMAT 2 times over + 1 quick revision - I do believe this is the weakest of of all 3 sections in verbal as quite a few times I am not 100% sure if I selected the answer correct even if eventually I did get it correct.
CR - Powerscore bible - I did OK in this section
RC - Practice questions only - Official Guides - I believe this is the strongest of my sections as I did consistently well in practice problems
I did OG13 and Verbal Guide 2nd edition 2 times for CR and SC and once for RC. During my first round, my accuracy was 60%-65% but during the round 2 it shot up to 80%.

Practice Tests:
GMAT Prep1 - Diagnostic - 650 (Q47,V32) - Not sure about the breakup but definitely Q was better
GMAT Prep1 - Retake after Maths prep - 660 (Q48,V32) - Not sure about the breakup but definitely Q was better
MGMAT 1 - 650 (Q43,V36) - Without IT/AWA
MGMAT 2 - 670 (Q46,V35) - With IR
MGMAT 3 - 660 (Q44,V36) - With IR
MGMAT 4 - 680 (Q47,V36) - With IR /AWA
GMAT Prep 2 - 700 (Q49,V38) - With IR /AWA
GMAT Prep 2 Retake - 750 (Q51,V40) - With IR/AWA - Around 12-13 repeats in maths section as I already did GMAT Prep questions, thus an inflated QA score but for verbal even the repeats didnt make much of a difference cause i didnt really remember the answer choices and all.

And then there was my GMAT disaster. I was very relaxed without being too relaxed so there were no exam day jitters leading to a disaster.

I am planning to retake my test and if anyone thinks I should not I am open to their opinions but I am more or less set on a retake. I have few queries to which I do not have any answer. It would be of great help if someone can show the way forward.

Q1. Is 1.5 months enough to improve my score to a 700+? I know this is a subjective question but still would need some inputs. Also, I can invest 2-3 hours on weekdays as I am a working professional.
Q2. I know I did very poorly in verbal. I did my research on forums and I did what I thought was best for the section but still did miserably. Now, I do not know how to improve in this section. I believe I was doing better than OK as my mock scores depict but still I scored a 28.
Q3. Any inputs on study plans for retake
Q4. Any other opinions/suggestions.

In anticipation...

Cheers
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 302

Kudos [?]: 750 [1] , given: 6

Re: GMAT First Attempt - A Horror Story [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2014, 15:14
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
reddevils wrote:

Q1. Is 1.5 months enough to improve my score to a 700+? I know this is a subjective question but still would need some inputs. Also, I can invest 2-3 hours on weekdays as I am a working professional.
Q2. I know I did very poorly in verbal. I did my research on forums and I did what I thought was best for the section but still did miserably. Now, I do not know how to improve in this section. I believe I was doing better than OK as my mock scores depict but still I scored a 28.
Q3. Any inputs on study plans for retake
Q4. Any other opinions/suggestions.

In anticipation...

Cheers

1) Yes, 1.5 months is enough to make an improvement. Breaking 700 is not easy, but with the right approach and process, you can do it. 2-3 hours on weekdays is good enough - as long as they are a quality 2-3 hours. You will still need to put in a serious 7-10 hours on weekends though.
2) Verbal is quite tricky with the various booby traps and complex sentences. Cutting the fluff to simplify seemingly complex sentences will make it that much easier to spot the error. Once you have a good handling of how to approach verbal questions, you can practice questions on the Practice Pill Platform:

http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... -questions

3) We recommend intense focus on one particular section at a time. For example, 5 straight days focused on SC and nothing else. This will help maximize your learning and retention in a particular area and gives yourself a chance to verify your learnings each day. You can learn more about the 1 month study plan here: http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... study-plan

4) You can take a full-length practice test free here: http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... ctice-test

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Economist GMAT Tutor Representative
Affiliations: Economist GMAT Tutor
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 85 [1] , given: 3

Premium Member
Re: GMAT First Attempt - A Horror Story [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2014, 09:30
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
I agree with the folks at GMAT Pill. 1.5 months is enough to boost your score to a 700. My advice is to make sure you determine exactly which areas on which to focus and then waste no time reviewing subjects you already know. Often we find that our students have an overall good grasp of test section topics and know how to tackle the problems, but have trouble with one particular sub-topic. Figuring this out can boost a score by 50+ points.

http://econgm.at/GCfreetrial
For free GMAT practice questions, follow us @econgmat_qs
Economist GMAT Tutor
(866) 292-0660

Re: GMAT First Attempt - A Horror Story   [#permalink] 06 Jan 2014, 09:30