Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 12:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT-First Attempt-Humiliating-Need Advice for Try 2

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
GMAT-First Attempt-Humiliating-Need Advice for Try 2 [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2007, 02:20
Hi All,

I took my GMAT on 18th and scored poorly in Verbal.
My Score-620 (Q49,V25). I dont what went wrong on the test day but i would definitely say that difficulty level of Verbal is way above the OG level. (I agree to trahul- Improve your verbal or bite the dust.)

Any ways i request all the verbal gurus and 700+ clubbers to suggest me the preparation strategy for next 1/1.5 months as i am targeting the round2 deadlines.

Well all of a sudden i am made to believe (after taking the beast) that my weak areas include all (CR/RC/SC)( Though i got 36 and 38 in verbal in my two GMAT Preps.)
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2007, 02:59
Hey,

Sad to know about your result. Dont worry mate. We are going to kill GMAT in our 2nd attempt. Nervousgmat has some wonderful points in the announcement section. Go through those. For specific queries , there is no better place than this forum where inthere are large number of GMAT hunters.
All the best !
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2007, 06:07
I got similar score (630 49Q 27V). Disappointed as I was also scoring 36-38 in verbal. But as tRahul says we will kill it second time.
Don't loose hope.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 692 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2007, 07:24
At least you only have to focus on your verbal. Repetition is going to be your friend...the more practice materials you go through the better off you will be.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2007, 14:15
Yes, I agree from my own test experience yesterday, Man! the difficult verbal bin's are the hardest of what you would see in OG.

For math there is lot of hard stuff to practice out there, for verbal if you are weak just like I am, its not going to be enough to score 80% on your SC and CRs in OG, I did got to 80% consistent accuracy in CR and 75% in SC in Sc1000 and CR1000 practice believer me and yet scored 32, and I did find the actual verbal harder ( similar to gmat prep 2 in my experience).
Director
Director
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2007, 15:44
Just do 200 RC passages + questions, 250-300 CR's, and 2000 SC's. Once you get SC down you can do one question every 30 seconds, so in an hour you can do 100 or so..... you can do 2000 SC's in 2 weeks no problem.

Practise, practise, practise -- that's it! Then do lots of CATs before the exam (GMATPrep, PowerPrep), and get used to the timing. Then you'll be fine :-) The hardest part is concentrating on the verbal once you use up all your brain power on the quant

You can boost that <30V to a 40+ V no problem
Manager
Manager
Schools: CBS, MIT, Kellogg, Wharton
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2007, 10:14
Let me guess, you didn't do AWAs when you took the GMATPreps ?:)

That's at least what it looks like. You got V38 and V36 before and all of the sudden your Verbal score went down...

If that's the case then,IMO, your problem is rather stamina than ability. If you don't do AWA when you do practice exams and if you don't feel comfortable with banging out 2 essays without expending too much energy, chances are, your Verbal score will suffer considerably.

Hope that helps.

P.S. your score shows that you have great quant skills and a tremendous potential. I would def encourage you to take the exam again.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

what about best CAT for first time users [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2007, 20:55
Folks,
You guys didnt mentione what would be the best CAT software for first time users? .... please advice, which one and why!!

thanks.
what about best CAT for first time users   [#permalink] 26 Aug 2007, 20:55