Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 20:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT first try...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT first try... [#permalink] New post 17 May 2004, 00:29
Hello everyone

I'm a newcomer on this site. I work in Paris for 5 years now and have decided last month to registrate for my first GMAT on AUgust 5. I'm working with kaplan book + Cd and also with GMAT guide book (ETS).

Even if I know that there can exist a big variance between your score at GMAT CAT tests and the real one, I'd like to know two things according to your experiences :

- in order to have a median GMAT score (650), what is a reasonnable score when you take a GMAT CAT test? Are they evaluated in the same way? I heard some people say that "If you don't go over 700 at the tests, you can not expect to go over 650/670 the d day...

- Furthermore, even if the GMAT is not the only factor to contribute to one's entrance at B-school, what can be a break score (minimum) in order to expect one of the 20 best MBA?

Thanks for answers and thanks for this forum that brings a lot of courage to people working for the GMAT.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

[#permalink] New post 17 May 2004, 11:19
You'll see a big variance between your Kaplan scores and your real scores, if your experience is similar to that of most people. Kaplan's tests are a lot harder than the real thing, so if you use those tests, ignore the scores. I would suggest taking the Powerprep tests first (download free from mba.com). In fact, do these before going too far in the ETS book because you'll see some of the same questions in both.

Also get the Princeton Review book with the CD. It has a better review of the GMAT than Kaplan, and better strategies. Their tests are more like the real thing, especially the RC questions. The CD has 5 tests on it.

If you want to see average and range of GMAT scores for the top schools, go to http://www.businessweek.com to see the rankings, and then see their stats. You can also get more info on these schools, including what criteria they consider most important, on http://www.review.com. From what I've read in the forums, aim for 700+ for Top 10, maybe a little less for Top 20.

Also, one other quick thing - it's "register", not "registrate". Not sure you'd have occasion to use that word in any of your essays, but just in case, you want to be sure to get it right! :)
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2273

Kudos [?]: 8782 [0], given: 3666

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT first try... [#permalink] New post 17 May 2004, 19:10
Expert's post
Franck Garcia wrote:
Hello everyone

I'm a newcomer on this site. I work in Paris for 5 years now and have decided last month to registrate for my first GMAT on AUgust 5. I'm working with kaplan book + Cd and also with GMAT guide book (ETS).

Even if I know that there can exist a big variance between your score at GMAT CAT tests and the real one, I'd like to know two things according to your experiences :

- in order to have a median GMAT score (650), what is a reasonnable score when you take a GMAT CAT test? Are they evaluated in the same way? I heard some people say that "If you don't go over 700 at the tests, you can not expect to go over 650/670 the d day...

- Furthermore, even if the GMAT is not the only factor to contribute to one's entrance at B-school, what can be a break score (minimum) in order to expect one of the 20 best MBA?

Thanks for answers and thanks for this forum that brings a lot of courage to people working for the GMAT.

Dear Franck,

I greatly agree with Ms. Loo,
Kaplan can go as high as 100 points below the actual score, but PP is usually within 30 points.

As to the minimum/average score for a school, you can check the school's profile on business week or else and see the average score. Probaby anywhere below 50 points of the average is going to be a bit tough, but not impossible. Thus if a school has 710, you can easily walk in with 670.

A lot of times top 10 won't care about the score but want to keep it high becuase it plays in the rankings.

moreover, if you want to claim superior analytical abilities and get only 40 on math, it will be a conflict/disparity.

By the way, are you trying european or US schools? You said 20 best... Often Europe and USA are very different in what they are looking for... for European schools GMAT is not as important, though they have to keep it for the sake of accreditation. It is totally possible to get in a good European school with less than 600. Not because the school is bad, just not much attention is paid to the GMAT. I had a few friends in Barcelona and Rotterdam with low 600's and high 500's.

--Bogdan.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 May 2004, 00:33
Thanks for your answers Lucyloo and bb,

First of all you're right for "registrate"...when I reread my message I was just surprised of my own mistake!

I've just loaded the PP test in order to take it this week end. It's now one month since I began my prep work and I need to know where I stand in terms of scores.

In fact I'm looking for a one year program (so probably a european b-school), but which is ranked among the best ones, US included (I think you've easily guess my wish). So I really need a good GMAT.

I'll keep you aware of my results on the PP test and probably study with you the strategy I need to develop in order to maximize my scores.

Thanks a lot.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2273

Kudos [?]: 8782 [0], given: 3666

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
 [#permalink] New post 18 May 2004, 00:42
Expert's post
Franck Garcia wrote:
Thanks for your answers Lucyloo and bb,

First of all you're right for "registrate"...when I reread my message I was just surprised of my own mistake!

I've just loaded the PP test in order to take it this week end. It's now one month since I began my prep work and I need to know where I stand in terms of scores.

In fact I'm looking for a one year program (so probably a european b-school), but which is ranked among the best ones, US included (I think you've easily guess my wish). So I really need a good GMAT.

I'll keep you aware of my results on the PP test and probably study with you the strategy I need to develop in order to maximize my scores.

Thanks a lot.

fontainebleau ?

The average is 707; I think I will need to take my words back :lol:

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

[#permalink] 18 May 2004, 00:42