Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 02:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT for Fresh Graduates

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT for Fresh Graduates [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2006, 05:54
Hello Folks,

I am new to this forum and much exited to know about this helpful forum.

This information is for my cousin who is an aspirant for GMAT and still in 4th year of B Tech from India.
She is attempting for CAT and other premier institutes in India. She has got very good academic records and had been awarded in many national and state level competition like GD, Debate, Technical Symposium etc.

Is she qualified to take a GMAT Test?
Are there any (Preferably top 20) in USA who can admit fresh graduates with great academic records from India considering the GMAT scores?
Do you recommend taking GMAT as a Fresh Graduate?
How expensive is the course? (Assuming if she get in to top 20 schools in USA)

Your responses are highly appreciable.

Thanks
Anil
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2006, 05:27
She can take the GMAT whenever she wants and is ready for it. It's not somethig you have to "qualify" for. She will need to prepare for it, though...practice tests and studying test strategy (the GMAT is not like college tests so you need to learn about the test itself).

I would suggest she get some good prep books and plan on studying for 2-3 months. Official Guide (tons of practice questions, but no strategies), GMATPrep official practice tests (free at http://www.mba.com), and Cracking the GMAT book with DVD from Princeton Review (great strategies and practice tests). You can get the OG and Cracking books from Amazon.

I would not suggest she go for an MBA right out of school. Great acads and GMAT scores are rarely sufficient to qualify one for immediate b-school enrollment. She won't get nearly as much out of it without real professional experience, and she'll have a harder time getting a decent job afterward. She should get at least a few years of experience first. There are a ton of well-qualified students from India applying to top American schools, and she'll need to stand out with solid work experience.

HTH.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Olin Business School - Washington University
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2006, 09:45
Just to chime in here - i reccomend you spend some time looking around the web and this site. Guarantee nearly all questions will be answered...
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 426 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2006, 22:33
I believe that currently, business school admissions for people with IT backgrounds from India is extremely difficult. At least she is not a guy.

I have heard that the average GMAT for top 20 schools for Indian IT applicants is around 730 right now. Also, unless you score substantially above the average, all elements of the application need to be nearly perfect. So, you say she has very good academic records, but the reality is that she must have elite level academics (maybe just a difference in terminology). She would need outstanding recommendations and essays.

Even with all of these things, she still probably will not be able to overcome the lack of elite level work experience. In order to come out of a cohort like this, she would need to work at a job that is very selective, and she would need to perform extremely well (promotions ahead of schedule, team leadership, etc.). If she can achieve these things, she could be competitive with the types of applicants from this cohort that are being admitted. The application volume from this group is so prodigious right now that it is impossible to ignore in any business school admissions discussion; check out any admissions blog and you'll see the issue addressed again and again.
  [#permalink] 25 Sep 2006, 22:33