Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 00:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT for Management Consulting?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Schools: Ross '13
WE 1: Business Development / Sales
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
GMAT for Management Consulting? [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2011, 20:10
Quick question for anyone out there that is well-versed in the McKinsey / Bain / BCG Management Consulting industry:

I recently heard that for MBA's to get a job at one of these firms they need to have a 700+ GMAT score. Is that the case even if you are coming from a top-tier program (HBS, GSB, Wharton, etc).

If so, what is the current "going rate" for acceptable GMAT score, 700?, 720?, 760?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light on this issue.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 66

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT for Management Consulting? [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2011, 20:58
since I have been on this board whenever this type of question comes up people say 700 should be good enough. Of course people get in with a 690 but the higher the better. That said, I do think the gmat "requirement" will rise considering how the scores have themselves been rising.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
WE 1: Hi-tech Product Development
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT for Management Consulting? [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2011, 21:43
rpratt620 wrote:
Quick question for anyone out there that is well-versed in the McKinsey / Bain / BCG Management Consulting industry:

I recently heard that for MBA's to get a job at one of these firms they need to have a 700+ GMAT score. Is that the case even if you are coming from a top-tier program (HBS, GSB, Wharton, etc).

If so, what is the current "going rate" for acceptable GMAT score, 700?, 720?, 760?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light on this issue.

Honestly, there is no "going rate". The purpose of the GMAT score is to see whether the candidate has some baseline analytical skills. If not with the GMAT, the presence of these skills can be communicated through a number of different ways – undergrad GPA, case competition participation and success, course grades (for schools that do not have GND) and of course, the case interview.

In any case, the best the GMAT can do is get your resume a second look. It will not be the make/break for deciding whether you get an interview invite or not. And as you might probably know, once you get the invite, it's all about your performance in the interview.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT for Management Consulting? [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2011, 22:30
KingKREEP wrote:
Honestly, there is no "going rate". The purpose of the GMAT score is to see whether the candidate has some baseline analytical skills. If not with the GMAT, the presence of these skills can be communicated through a number of different ways – undergrad GPA, case competition participation and success, course grades (for schools that do not have GND) and of course, the case interview.

In any case, the best the GMAT can do is get your resume a second look. It will not be the make/break for deciding whether you get an interview invite or not. And as you might probably know, once you get the invite, it's all about your performance in the interview.

Good answer. The GMAT alone, even a high score, can't even get you an interview. A low score (<700) is obviously more likely to hurt you, but if you have demonstrated analytical ability in other ways, you can overcome it. I'd say job experience is far more important than GMAT anyway, and the interview outweighs most all of it. The "threshold" question is the wrong way to think about it... my firm assesses the pool of candidates from any school, anyway. The school is more important than the score, so by that logic, I guess if the 700 threshold is the rule for the school, it's sorta by default the rule for the firms, too.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 4

Re: GMAT for Management Consulting? [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2011, 06:49
Thanks for the info. I was curious about this as well. It sounds like they treat the GMAT basically like the b schools do in the admissions process.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 7

Re: GMAT for Management Consulting? [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2011, 07:29
I went to an MBA tips and tricks session. I was told that even though 690 and 700 are not all that different, but with 700 you cross a "psychological threshold". And ofcourse higher GMAT helps with scholarships.

If you like my post, consider giving me KUDOS!

Re: GMAT for Management Consulting?   [#permalink] 14 Jan 2011, 07:29