Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 02:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT general questions

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

GMAT general questions [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 22:10
Will appreciate any answers on the following:

- the single AWA essay counts for nothing, correct? Could I theoretically nap for the first 30 minutes of the exam because it does not count towards my overall scaled score? I have heard of people writing absolutely nothing or just their legal name and still receiving acceptance into top programs
    - the new IR section does not factor into your score x/800, correct? After taking Exam 1 on the GMATPrep software, my performance on IR did not seem to factor in at all
    - are the MGMAT practice CATs generally harder or easier relative to the actual test? If I am scoring 760-790 on GMATPrep but 720-760 on MGMAT, which is more indicative of my true performance?
    - how many questions in each section, roughly, are being tested for future use and therefore are not counted as part of my official score?

Thank you very much in advance, this site is a tremendous resource.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 123 [1] , given: 79

Re: GMAT general questions [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2013, 08:17
This post received
KUDOS
1. The AWA doesn't factor into your composite score and it's rarely a major factor in admissions... but it can be a minor factor, depending on the program and the applicant. Don't herniate any brain cells on your essay, but you probably don't want to completely skip it, either. Just take it easy during the 30 minutes, and you'll be OK.

2. The IR is also completely separate from your overall composite GMAT score. Like the AWA, it isn't a major factor in admissions yet, but you want to put in a moderate amount of effort to avoid embarrassment, especially if you're looking ahead to next admissions season.

3. The GMATPrep is always the best indicator of your performance. Nothing else is really close. Most people feel that the MGMAT is harder, but if you've spent a lot of time with MGMAT materials, you might actually perform better on the MGMAT tests, since you're used to their question style. Take all non-official practice tests with a grain of salt.

3a. Wait... you're scoring what?!? If you're already scoring 760-790 on the GMAT, you don't need our help. :) Or was that a hypothetical?

4. GMAC has been very careful not to tell anybody how many questions are experimental. Maybe somebody else has some secret information about this...?

Good luck with your studies, Posse!

Helping students kick the GMAT in the nuts since 2002... www.gmatninja.com.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: GMAT general questions [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2013, 18:37
Thanks.

With GMATPrep, I struggled with the timing on IR but of the 8/12 questions I answered, all were correct. Just wanted to see how that might factor in. For the essay, I am definitely going to coast.

Yes, I am scoring that high. My 'cold' diagnostic on Exam 1 with GMATPrep without studying was a 670, I studied for a week and brought it up 80 points, another week and am cruising high.

Thanks for your answers, appreciated.
Re: GMAT general questions   [#permalink] 04 Jan 2013, 18:37