Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 10:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT-got 580 any chances of getting a reasonable college?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
Schools: Booth '16
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User
GMAT-got 580 any chances of getting a reasonable college? [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2014, 09:11
Hi

Today I gave my second attempt and got a score of 580. I am from engineering background with 75%. I have 3.5 yrs of experience as a Software Engineer in a leading IT firm. Could anybody pls shed some light if any good colleges are there in my application zone for Fall 2014 session considering the score.

Would be really helpful if somebody answers the above :(

Thanks

Thanks,
Vishal Sharma

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.49

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 24

Re: GMAT-got 580 any chances of getting a reasonable college? [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2014, 09:46
This post received
KUDOS
vishalsharma wrote:
Hi

Today I gave my second attempt and got a score of 580. I am from engineering background with 75%. I have 3.5 yrs of experience as a Software Engineer in a leading IT firm. Could anybody pls shed some light if any good colleges are there in my application zone for Fall 2014 session considering the score.

Thanks

I am not familiar with Indian grades but I think 75% is really good, correct me if I'm wrong.
If that is the case, I strongly believe that you can score much higher on the GMAT as well.
I don't know which schools you were targeting, but in my opinion applying in R3 with a 580 is kind of a suicide.
Also, if you still have not clear ideas about which schools to apply to, I guess that you have not started preparing your essays/applications as well.
Do you already know why you need an MBA? What are your career aspirations?
With the limited information given I would strongly suggest that you focus on improving the score and applying next year.
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
Schools: CEIBS '16 (M)
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.74
WE: Analyst (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT-got 580 any chances of getting a reasonable college? [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2014, 10:36
vishalsharma wrote:
Hi

Thanks

According to what I have read on this forum - your group (Indian - software company) is overrepresented in the top US school. Honestly, I would strongly recommend you retake GMAT exam.

On the other hand, you posted no additional info about your backgroun, achievements or essay writing abilities. Share more info. so that real consultants could have advise you on the issue.
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 559 [0], given: 30

Re: GMAT-got 580 any chances of getting a reasonable college? [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2014, 23:20
Expert's post
^Yep! Retake!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 1

Re: GMAT-got 580 any chances of getting a reasonable college? [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2014, 06:49
Expert's post
Definitely retake it. Maybe take a course or find other support if you didn't the first couple of times around!

Bhavik
Managing Partner

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Was this post helpful to you? Give a Kudos and let me know!

Re: GMAT-got 580 any chances of getting a reasonable college?   [#permalink] 20 Feb 2014, 06:49