Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 00:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT --> GRE? Help!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 640 Q38 V39
GPA: 3.31
WE: Human Resources (Internet and New Media)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 3

GMAT --> GRE? Help! [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2013, 05:18
My GMAT study has been extremely disconcerting, and with only three weeks to go now, I am thinking I need to try the GRE. I took a diagnostic test, and although my score didn't seem to be much better than what I was scoring on the GMAT, the test definitely felt more comfortable to me.

Has anyone switched from GMAT prep to GRE prep? How did you study? Do you know of where I can get a very solid study plan? I would prefer to take the test in three weeks [crazy, I know, but I have so many work trips after then I think it would be hard to study], and hoping some of this GMAT prep [Knewton online course] will be of help. If I am going to do this, I need to completely switch gears NOW as time is running out!

I just took the diagnostic GRE test with no studying. I realized that I would have a lot of vocabulary to learn, and since I hadn't gotten to reviewing geometry in the GMAT study, this would be important. I would also need to keep my mind focused on Reading Comprehension. Either way, I scored:
V- 154
Q- 155

This is how my GMAT scores have been:
6/14/2008: 540 (Q- 29, V- 36) [did this with minimal studying 5 years ago]
6/14/2013: 570 (Q- 35, V- 34) [Diagnostic to start my GMAT prep]
7/2/2013: 540 (Q- 30, V- 35)
7/27/2013: 540 (Q- 30, V- 35)

Sadly enough, if I can't get anything up to the 700ish range I am probably wasting my time on these applications. Sad.

If the switch does seem worth the effort, I have a few questions that someone might have some answers to:

1. How do you switch gears from studying for the GMAT to the GRE? What information should I continue to use/study in my brain?
2. On that note, I have been using the Knewton software to study for the GMAT, and I have access to the MGMAT set of books [thanks, b-school neighbor!]. Should I continue at least the math sections [without Data Sufficiency] in these materials? What of this can I continue to use? What other things should I add to my collection?
3. I have read so many negative articles about why you should take the GMAT and not the GRE. But would it be better for me to score well [hopefully] on the GRE instead of poorly on the GMAT? And on that note, I feel like I need a more valid excuse as to why I took the GRE instead of the GMAT if someone asks... anyone got a good-sounding reason?
4. Has anyone done this before? Lessons learned? Advice on how to do this in three weeks?
Knewton GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 640 Q38 V39
GPA: 3.31
WE: Human Resources (Internet and New Media)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 3

Re: GMAT --> GRE? Help! [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2013, 17:17
I just took another GRE practice test, two days after the first one mentioned here. It was with Princeton Review, so I hope it is reliable!
After two days:
Quant: 155 --> 158
Verbal: 154 --> 160

This is making me think it is worth switching... I didn't even study beyond playing a vocabulary game on my phone and reviewing some geometry during my GMAT prep.
Anyone know how to make the switch, with 3 weeks to go?!
Re: GMAT --> GRE? Help!   [#permalink] 30 Jul 2013, 17:17