Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Apr 2015, 14:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Grind: Back to Basics after 13 years - My Journal

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Grind: Back to Basics after 13 years - My Journal [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2007, 12:00
Hi Folks,

I have done 2 GMAT tests (cant remember the source) but must say the scores gave me kick in the nuts... with a lot of ego hurt I decided to google for help and have luckily stumbled on to this forum. I have plouged through it in last 10 hrs mostly non stop.

I have panicked at how my focus and patience has taken a severe downturn. I dont think I am smarter than 5th grader.

Hence I have taken a challenge to compete with some of the younger blokes here ... no pun mates since I know you all are good ... and you certainly deserve it. I have in the past achieved academic glories but having worked in corporate America I have lost the edge to it... hence I have to redeem some of my lost ego and courage... and thats simply it.

And yes I am following Startup Addict's methodology... he obviously kept it open and honest... although I am must say some of his initial scores even look enviable to me at this time.

So while I start this journal... I commit to signing up for GMAT exam on 17th Nov (2 weeks) from now. I am using this time to uncover the damage that has gone in last 13 years. In all honesty I would give GMAT within 3 months to the date.

And now to set up the baseline I am somewhere around 450 level score or even less than that... as I didnt bother finding out... knowing I will gag...!

So here I am folks, I look forward to your support in this war of earning my respect back.

cheers with head high

PF
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 1

[#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2007, 12:18
Welcome to the forum PF, you'll find it is extremely encouring and a high source of motivation. That's at least my case.

I commited to study at least 2 hours a day about a month ago (that's as much as I thought I could commit then with my workload), but I'm pushing it up to 4 now thanks to the motivation.

Like you and many others, I'm also struggling with remembering the basics, I haven't done any real math since I was 16, so I discover myself doing stupid mistakes all the time. I'm sure we will all be ok in the end.

Use the forum. There's a lot of people here who knows what they are talking about.

Are you still doing your teston the 17th?

Best of luck.
Intern
Intern

GMAT Grind: Back to Basics after 13 years - My Journal [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2007, 23:12
Hello asdert,

Thanks for the welcome pal. For now I am assessing the damage that has gone on un-learning the basics in last 13 years. Before I pull my socks up and run... That said, I will enroll for GMAT exam on 17th Nov. I am expect to sit in the exam before 17 Feb.

I must admit this compulsion is highly intoxicating so I do trust OT of 2 hours a day. For now I must stick to this compulsion which has risen in me within last 72 hours. Nothing tells me that it will be abated anytime soon. God Bless in keeping me honest!

Today, I took the words from Fig and went on to lay out a daily pattern for me:
1. CR 20
2. SC 20
3. RC (not done any today)
4. PS 20
5. DS 20
6. AWA (not done any today)

For now I have started with OG 11 to rebuild the stamina, with the hope that I will branch out on other material following the recommendations on this forum. Made notes on the types of errors that I made. I will dump that in an excel tomorrow morning first thing, as its nearing 3.00 AM. to start tracking my dumbness profile.

For the experts on this forum,
What do you recommend over the method to work on your daily error log?

Obviously the goal is to learn from the errors and its repititions...! Is to alternate practice and review the error log the next day? I do think one needs to internalize the amount learnt from the mistakes. And my experience today was the looking at solution, and thinking that I know it already, doesnt guarantee me that I will not make the same mistake again. So what say you folks?

Some other things that I am aiming to work on:

1. Start regular work outs to contain the stress levels?
2. Lean down my web time?
3. Any other time tested formulas that I should bring in the high octane and mileage... do tell me folks.

Cheers
PF
11/03/2007

PS: What's the experience for people using cue cards in preparing for GMAT?
Intern
Intern

GMAT Grind: Back to Basics after 13 years - My Journal [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2007, 20:10
Living the 4th day after PANIC, its good to see streak of correct answers.
Today, I felt much more positive than last 3 days.

1. CR 7
2. SC 20
3. RC 20
4. PS 20
5. DS 20

Not sure what's in store in the coming week but I DO want to keep coming back here to log in my efforts\thoughts. At the same time capturing motivation coming through in abundance from sides. It seems there is something for everyone on this forum.

Keep up the good work folks.

PF
11/04/2007

PS: Is there any alumni for GMATClubers? Based on what I have seen they all over the world?
Intern
Intern

GMAT Grind: Back to Basics after 13 years - My Journal [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2007, 20:51
I must say I am feeling a bit more positive about this...journey...! although today i could not put as much effort as I wanted to...

1. CR 0
2. SC 0
3. RC 12
4. PS 20
5. DS 20

it was heartening to see 19 out of 20 correct in PS...and for one which I got it wrong, ... not my worst but a wildly careless mistake...!!!

Any way... I am yet to claim that I have managed to do the impossible or turned the tide here but there is an appreciable positivity in last 2 days.

RC: Cant say I have gained as much courage on it...!!! but yet I am in it since 5 days since the meltdown...! which is perhaps true to anything said so far...!

And then its always great to dig back this golden forum, where you come to see where some of the star performers started and ended...! ... I do find that very inspirational...!!!

Rome was not built in One day...!!!

cheers

PF
11/05/2007
PS: Recover the damage tomorrow try and double the effort for SC\RC\CR and get started on AWA....
Intern
Intern

GMAT Grind: Back to Basics after 13 years - My Journal [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2007, 21:46
Hit a new low with RC, had a terrible average today, perhaps the worst so long, as I mentioned in another post, I got several wrong because I applied my view than what was being asked...!

1. CR 0
2. SC 0
3. RC 27 (Relax...& Hang in ... it will turn around)
4. PS 40 (not the best day yet) - Pay attention too many silly mistakes...!
5. DS 20
6. AWA (not done any today - not sure when is this going to happen :))

For the rest of the week I will alternate Verbal one day and Quants the other... lets see if that helps... although in the longer run I want to stay put with Quants + Verbal every day...!

And yes cheers to you folks... all of you all are honestly helping...! its almost like I would like to save some of the memorable stories with me ... to read when I am offline and need motivation...!
GMAT Grind: Back to Basics after 13 years - My Journal   [#permalink] 06 Nov 2007, 21:46