Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 04:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT, How do you guys study? need help

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT, How do you guys study? need help [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2008, 17:29
Hi everyone

I am fairly new to the GMAT, started my prep about 2 weeks ago.. prior to that i looked over some review material for the test.. then i took a free practice GMAT at Kaplan center. I was disappointed to say the least, i got a 37 in Verbal, and did horrible in Quant 25 :oops: , the DS questions killed me. Not sure how i scored so low in QUANT

My goal is 650-700
Is it possible to achieve these scores in 1.5 months?

I started doing serious prep this week, but i have a few questions about study strategies. Hope you guys can help.My weaknesses are SC-DS-PS

1)I started sorting out strategies for the various sections, using princeton books and other docs available online.. This week studied PS,DS 1 day and CR,RC,SC on another day. I do 15-20 problems for each section but it seems like its not enough to learn that particular section.

How do you guys break it down? i feel like if i do just 1 section a day..mon-DS-tues-PS-wed-CR etc..focus all of my efforts on 1 section i could learn alot more and then take a practice test over the weekend.... but it'll be 4 days before i look at that section again so wont i forget alot too?

How do i keep things fresh in my mind?

Thanks for the help

JP
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg '10
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT, How do you guys study? need help [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2008, 06:13
I think your target is achievable. I brought up my overall score by 110 points with 1 month of somewhat lackadaisical studying.

Here are my tips:

1) The Official Guide 11 book should be your Bible. Princeton Review, Kaplan, etc. are heretical in comparison.

2) Download GMATPrep tests from mba.com. They'll be the most reliable predictor of your score.

3) I would generally stick to one question type per day and do as many questions as possible...50 minimum. Maybe lump your "easier" question types into one day, but definitely dedicate entire days to the toughest sections.

Good luck!

http://www.fantasticcontraption.com

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT, How do you guys study? need help [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2008, 09:13
Thanks for your tips

When you say one type of question, you mean strictly 1 section, DS,Ps,CR,RC or SC..? Not like PS geometry, or PS algebra.. thanks again for your advice.

JP
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT, How do you guys study? need help [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2008, 20:39
yes...
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT, How do you guys study? need help [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2008, 07:49
yes and no

Would Kaplan or any other test prep center offer a test that correctly resembles the GMAT so that you do well on it and not take the course, or would they make the test difficult so that they scare you into signing up for the course?

hmmmmm

Besides, 2 weeks prep + practice test is not a good measure of what you can do. Though, if you're serious about getting 700, you might need some more time. I recommend you take inventory of all resources you have (ask here for advice), then make a gameplan of how you will utilize each piece of material.
Re: GMAT, How do you guys study? need help   [#permalink] 20 Mar 2008, 07:49