Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Sep 2014, 18:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT I - 590 (42Q, 30V) - Where do I go from here?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

GMAT I - 590 (42Q, 30V) - Where do I go from here? [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2010, 18:46
To anyone willing to read this post...it is much appreciated!

A little background:
The past 4 months of studying has all been done using the MGMAT curriculum. I finished taking the full classes back in June and took around 2 months to work on odds and ends as well as to take 1 CAT test per week up until the date of my test. The last 2 weeks were done with AWA essays.

My scores varied
7/5 CAT I - 480 (28Q, 29V)
7/31 CAT II - 640 (44Q, 33V - I think I guessed well)
8/7 CAT III - 590 (42Q, 31V)
8/13 CAT IV - 490 (30Q, 28V - I might have had a little to much fun the night before)
8/20 CAT V - Did not take timed
8/27 CAT VI - 580 (42Q, 31V)

8/30 Official GMAT - 590 (42Q, 30V) - I am not suprised by this score considering the previous CAT that I took. I had the same feeling during this test as the 8/27 test. No test taking anxieties or anything like that either.

I realize that verbal is an issue and I am not to fond of my timing on Math. I can still get caught up in being on a problem for longer than I should be. Anyway, the real reason I am writing this is that I simply dot not know how to handle my study strategy going forward. I am looking for a very optimistic 700 score (or somewhere in the vicinity). I work 10 - 11 hour days and try to complete 1 - 2 hours /night with the majority of studying on the weekends 4 - 6 hours a day.

My real focus the last month was on these tests as well as reviewing my weak areas which in Quant are WT and Geometry. Verbal - SC I thought was strong, CR/RC are both very weak ( I read avidly during the day newspapers online articles) now I think I am weak in all areas. I cannot lie, my weekday focus has not been spent heavily in Verbal, if at all. This is obviously the reason for the lack of increase in my score. I am not demoralized but I need a refocusing/suggestions on how I should PROPERLY attempt fixing verbal (improving math would be good too! ha)

Do I need anymore resources? I have seen the GMATClub tests. How should these be utilized so I can improve besides just taking/reviewing them...If I set a goal of retaking this test on 10/4 would it be realistic, with my work schedule, to accomplish a 100 pt increase? If I push the test forward another month and miss the 11/15 B school deadline of Round 1 will applying Round 2 with hopefully a 700 score be detrimental?

If these thoughts are not organized, please forgive me, I am just a little all over the place with what to do next.

Thank You for any help offered

UPDATE:

10/16: GMAT Prep II : 540 (35Q, 29V) - Very Frustrating. Good news was that I got 1 out of 17 wrong of SC on Verbal but totally blew one of the RC's. Im sure this imbalance through off my score this way. As for math, maybe the testing pressure is effecting me?

10/23/10 Official GMAT II - 580 (39Q,31V) - Ok so now I am bugging out. I spent the last month working hard, only to go down 10 points. I cant break this barrier for some reason. For the last month I really hammered down Sentence Correction and tried using DIAGRAMMING for my CR. I suppose I neglected RC and Quant a little bit in the process. I am extremely frustrated now. I just booked one more test for Middle Decembet which gives me 2 months to get this score up 100 points.

I am clearly hitting a wall. What to do!?

Last edited by jscott319 on 23 Oct 2010, 15:49, edited 4 times in total.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2267

Kudos [?]: 8729 [0], given: 3666

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT I - 590 (42Q, 30V) - Where do I go from here? [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2010, 19:49
Expert's post
So, it looks like your practice test scores are very much aligned with your final gmat result.

I guess the question for you is, what GMAT score do you need and what score are you wiling to work for? Your verbal score looks low - are you a non-native speaker? Which do you prefer more, verbal or quant?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT I - 590 (42Q, 30V) - Where do I go from here? [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2010, 19:57
My target school GMAT score average is a 700/710 i believe. I need a 690/700 and yes I am very much willing to work for this. I want to do this the RIGHT way and not spend time doing things that I think are helping but ultimately are not. . Seems I would need to shake up my study strategy somehow.

As mentioned, the past month has been strictly taking tests and reviewing. I usually write down on paper all the questions I get wrong or made a careless misstake with. I have booklets of these notes per test.

I am a native speaker. Born and bred. I suppose I prefer verbal. What score increase would I benefit the most from? The only issue with quant is that I do not feel very fluent with it if that makes sense. I still get shaken up with topics that I should know

Yes it is good that my practice scores have been accurate, I can rely on them much more...
Schools: Carey '16
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 71

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT I - 590 (42Q, 30V) - Where do I go from here? [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2010, 09:55
you in the same boat I am buddy. Finished the MGMAT series, my scores are around yours as well with a few outliers but stuck right below the 600 mark but my goal is 610+

the suggested me to go back to the fundamentals of mathematics, Kaplan's book, I think it's the premier, does a great job in it's refresher section on covering those little fundamentals.

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 200 [0], given: 52

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT I - 590 (42Q, 30V) - Where do I go from here? [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2010, 18:33
you need verbal overhaul and decent quant practice. it seems with your deadline you have 2 months left. do you have trouble understanding topics? are you using error logs?

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Intern
Intern
WE 1: Strategy Consulting

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: GMAT I - 590 (42Q, 30V) - Where do I go from here? [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2010, 22:32
I suggest you take a look at the Powerscore Sentence Correction and Critical Reasoning guides. Furthermore, you may want to take a look at the Kaplan verbal book. I also don't believe MGMAT quant is a good indicator of the real GMAT quant.

And before your exam, did you take the two GMATPrep tests?
Intern
Intern
Schools: Mays,Cornel,Fisher,Smeal,NUS
WE 1: Design engineer trainee

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

Re: GMAT I - 590 (42Q, 30V) - Where do I go from here? [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2010, 23:23
[quote="Byau"]I suggest you take a look at the Powerscore Sentence Correction and Critical Reasoning guides.

I agree with this it helped me boost my verbal score from 25s to 35s without much practice..jus after using it..once if i am done with all pratice questions guess i ll hit the 40s....

Working hard to cross the 90th percentile....Will not rest till i hit my mark...

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT I - 590 (42Q, 30V) - Where do I go from here? [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2010, 17:43
Late reply..I forgot my username and pw ha

Yes an overhaul for sure is what I would like. I have read that having MGMAT CR and SC would only make the Powerscore Books redundant. I suppose it is worth a shot though.

I have saved the 2 GMAT Practice Test and will be taking them in the next few weeks. I do not have a far spread from what MGMAT has assessed me at for Quant so I do not see that as the huge issue. I just need to figure out how to better "LEARN" the questions and know what I am being tested on I suppose?
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Followers: 340

Kudos [?]: 1390 [0], given: 194

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT I - 590 (42Q, 30V) - Where do I go from here? [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2010, 21:28
I'd suggest that you get Powerscore CR and MGMAT SC.
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT I - 590 (42Q, 30V) - Where do I go from here? [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2010, 08:58
whiplash2411 wrote:
I'd suggest that you get Powerscore CR and MGMAT SC.

Use these, then use OG. Make sure to read all explanations to fully understand the concepts.

It's a dawg eat dawg world.

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 200 [0], given: 52

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT I - 590 (42Q, 30V) - Where do I go from here? [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2010, 09:12
and error logs are important too. you need to understand the concepts with those books

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 154

Kudos [?]: 507 [0], given: 527

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT I - 590 (42Q, 30V) - Where do I go from here? [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2010, 09:51
jscott319
To achieve 700, you need a total of 14 points of raw score. (see my xls table of raw to gmat score conversion).
Lets do the simple math here. You score now is Q42 V30.
Think how much could you get out of Q and V? You can't solely concentrate on math cause 42+14=56 is not real raw score on the GMAT. But, hypothetically you may achieve a raw score of 44 in verbal.
Well you need a combined improvement of Q and V, with an incline to verbal.

As to Gmatclub tests no doubts this is best resource ever! After doing 10 Q tests I was feeling like I am "flying" (most of problems seemed easy for me) when I did Gmatprep-1, my score was 48.
My advice is to note every single question you got wrong and right, which you do not understand. Learn them than return after 10 test and take the test again. It will help.

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT I - 590 (42Q, 30V) - Where do I go from here? [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2010, 15:52
Thanks Pkit that is very helpful indeed.

As far as the GMATclub tests are concerned, what is the best way to incorporate them into my study plan. Should I just jump in and do them or is there another more beneficial strategy?
Intern
Intern
Schools: fuqua business school, LMU, Georgetown University

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 7

Re: GMAT I - 590 (42Q, 30V) - Where do I go from here? [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2010, 16:10
I am pretty much in the same situation: overall 600 Q44 V29... but i am not a native.I will like to know which schools i should aim at?
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: GMAT I - 590 (42Q, 30V) - Where do I go from here? [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2010, 20:46
jscott319 wrote:
Thanks Pkit that is very helpful indeed.

As far as the GMATclub tests are concerned, what is the best way to incorporate them into my study plan. Should I just jump in and do them or is there another more beneficial strategy?

Hi!
First, do diagnostic test, find your weakneses and learn concepts for weak areas. Redo the diagnostic test.
Than everyday take one test at the morning + and review all questions of that test (correct and wrong) at the evening. +
Quote:
My advice is to note every single question you got wrong and right, which you do not understand. Learn them than return after 10 test and take the test again. It will help.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT I - 590 (42Q, 30V) - Where do I go from here? [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2010, 17:42
And what would you say to someone that works from 8am to 7pm in the sense that it would be difficult to work those gmatclub problems morning and night?
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: GMAT I - 590 (42Q, 30V) - Where do I go from here? [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2010, 20:43
jscott319 wrote:
And what would you say to someone that works from 8am to 7pm in the sense that it would be difficult to work those gmatclub problems morning and night?

:lol: Most people work even more and after work they do 2-3 hours of extensive preparation.

One of my friends was waking up at 4 am and studied CFA during 3 hours. He maintained the same schedule for 5 months.
He is CFA certified now and he passed all levels in just 3 years.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT I - 590 (42Q, 30V) - Where do I go from here? [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2010, 15:25
I have been busting my butt for the past month. See updated first post. I cant tell you how frustrating and demoralizing this is. . . I have been scoring at this level over the past month. Have I just hit my capacity?
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT I - 590 (42Q, 30V) - Where do I go from here? [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2010, 15:55
jscott319 wrote:
To anyone willing to read this post...it is much appreciated!

A little background:
The past 4 months of studying has all been done using the MGMAT curriculum. I finished taking the full classes back in June and took around 2 months to work on odds and ends as well as to take 1 CAT test per week up until the date of my test. The last 2 weeks were done with AWA essays.

My scores varied
7/5 CAT I - 480 (28Q, 29V)
7/31 CAT II - 640 (44Q, 33V - I think I guessed well)
8/7 CAT III - 590 (42Q, 31V)
8/13 CAT IV - 490 (30Q, 28V - I might have had a little to much fun the night before)
8/20 CAT V - Did not take timed
8/27 CAT VI - 580 (42Q, 31V)

8/30 Official GMAT - 590 (42Q, 30V) - I am not suprised by this score considering the previous CAT that I took. I had the same feeling during this test as the 8/27 test. No test taking anxieties or anything like that either.

I realize that verbal is an issue and I am not to fond of my timing on Math. I can still get caught up in being on a problem for longer than I should be. Anyway, the real reason I am writing this is that I simply dot not know how to handle my study strategy going forward. I am looking for a very optimistic 700 score (or somewhere in the vicinity). I work 10 - 11 hour days and try to complete 1 - 2 hours /night with the majority of studying on the weekends 4 - 6 hours a day.

My real focus the last month was on these tests as well as reviewing my weak areas which in Quant are WT and Geometry. Verbal - SC I thought was strong, CR/RC are both very weak ( I read avidly during the day newspapers online articles) now I think I am weak in all areas. I cannot lie, my weekday focus has not been spent heavily in Verbal, if at all. This is obviously the reason for the lack of increase in my score. I am not demoralized but I need a refocusing/suggestions on how I should PROPERLY attempt fixing verbal (improving math would be good too! ha)

Do I need anymore resources? I have seen the GMATClub tests. How should these be utilized so I can improve besides just taking/reviewing them...If I set a goal of retaking this test on 10/4 would it be realistic, with my work schedule, to accomplish a 100 pt increase? If I push the test forward another month and miss the 11/15 B school deadline of Round 1 will applying Round 2 with hopefully a 700 score be detrimental?

If these thoughts are not organized, please forgive me, I am just a little all over the place with what to do next.

Thank You for any help offered

UPDATE:

10/16: GMAT Prep II : 540 (35Q, 29V) - Very Frustrating. Good news was that I got 1 out of 17 wrong of SC on Verbal but totally blew one of the RC's. Im sure this imbalance through off my score this way. As for math, maybe the testing pressure is effecting me?

GMAT Club Tests: I dont feel my skills are up to par with these. Should I just jump into it?

10/23/10 Official GMAT II - 580 (39Q,31V) - Ok so now I am bugging out. I spent the last month working hard, only to go down 10 points. I cant break this barrier for some reason. For the last month I really hammered down Sentence Correction and tried using DIAGRAMMING for my CR. I suppose I neglected RC and Quant a little bit in the process. I am extremely frustrated now. I just booked one more test for Middle Decembet which gives me 2 months to get this score up 100 points.

I am clearly hitting a wall. What to do!?
Re: GMAT I - 590 (42Q, 30V) - Where do I go from here?   [#permalink] 23 Oct 2010, 15:55