Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 07:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT IInd Attempt 610

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT IInd Attempt 610 [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2011, 06:24
Gave the GMAT for the 2nd time this morning. Got a 610 Q48/V25. Really pathetic score. Have never ever got such a low score in a single mock I have written so far. My first attempt was a 620 Q47/V27.

Gave it after about 6 months and got a lower score that the previous time, really devastated. I prepared pretty much whatever had to be prepared, and only after 4 consistent 700+ scores in the MGMAT, I was confident of taking the GMAT again. And the last 2 months of prep was entirely dedicated to Verbal, the mocks were the only practice I did for quants, after so much effort I dont see any improvement, kind of frustrated me BIG TIME.

CR has been my strongpoint in Verbal and I have really improved my CR performance from my analysis of the 10+ mocks I have given over the past month. My SC and RC performance has been fluctuating every test and there wasn't a pattern I could identify the mistakes I made. I did go thro the Manhattan SC guide and Aristotle SC Grail thoroughly and could identify most common errors in SC. I am not much of an avid reader but definitely decent in Vocabs and I dont understand how I could get such a pathetic score. My verbal scores in the mocks have mostly been in the range of 35-40, though not great I was happy with a 700 score because that was the target I was working towards.

I quit my job now and am pretty much hopeless about chances of getting into a decent B school with this score, I came back home and the look of all the GMAT books pisses me off. I am not sure if I should write for the 3rd time. Also pretty much exhausted all the materials available. Mentally drained as well. Feeling so LOW and terribly frustrated with myself.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 235 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: GMAT IInd Attempt 610 [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2011, 06:59
Well...I have read debriefs from people who were once in your position. The best advice I can give you is not to give up. Clearly life has knocked you down..you can either feel depressed and sad or get back up and study for it a bit harder. If you were scoring 700+ on mocks consistently, perhaps it was just a bad day for you when taking the GMAT.

Did you sleep well, eat well, manage time properly? Also, what do you think you did more poorly on? Quant or Verbal? Perhaps just rest for a month and retake the gmat with minimal prep. I think if you scored 35-40 consistently, you are truly in that level and there were some speed bumps on your G-Day that prevented you from crossing the 700 barrier! It must feel bad but sleep it off. The good (or bad) thing about "feelings" is that they are temporary. So the feeling of "feeling bad" will go away in 1 hour, 1 day, or 1 month, depending on how strong of a person you are emotionally. Just move on and prepare harder. Take a few days rest and get back at it. If you need additional support, we are all here to help :).

Cheer up bud! Remember, you are not the only one who's in this position. You can either give up or fight back!

Powerscore CR Bible Full Chapter Notes | Easily Extend Vocabulary List with Google Dictionary

Please kudo me if you found my post useful. Thanks!!! :)

Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 295

Kudos [?]: 691 [0], given: 6

Re: GMAT IInd Attempt 610 [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2011, 09:06
Expert's post
shan4321 wrote:
Gave the GMAT for the 2nd time this morning. Got a 610 Q48/V25. Really pathetic score. Have never ever got such a low score in a single mock I have written so far. My first attempt was a 620 Q47/V27.

Gave it after about 6 months and got a lower score that the previous time, really devastated. I prepared pretty much whatever had to be prepared, and only after 4 consistent 700+ scores in the MGMAT, I was confident of taking the GMAT again. And the last 2 months of prep was entirely dedicated to Verbal, the mocks were the only practice I did for quants, after so much effort I dont see any improvement, kind of frustrated me BIG TIME.

CR has been my strongpoint in Verbal and I have really improved my CR performance from my analysis of the 10+ mocks I have given over the past month. My SC and RC performance has been fluctuating every test and there wasn't a pattern I could identify the mistakes I made. I did go thro the Manhattan SC guide and Aristotle SC Grail thoroughly and could identify most common errors in SC. I am not much of an avid reader but definitely decent in Vocabs and I dont understand how I could get such a pathetic score. My verbal scores in the mocks have mostly been in the range of 35-40, though not great I was happy with a 700 score because that was the target I was working towards.

I quit my job now and am pretty much hopeless about chances of getting into a decent B school with this score, I came back home and the look of all the GMAT books pisses me off. I am not sure if I should write for the 3rd time. Also pretty much exhausted all the materials available. Mentally drained as well. Feeling so LOW and terribly frustrated with myself.

Sorry to hear that. Indeed, the verbal section is quite important and you do want to balance out your strong quant score.

It seems you have a good control of CR and feel comfortable with SC. It must be RC that is keeping you from where you want to be.

Give yourself a little rest so you can mentally recuperate. See if these RC videos help you think more efficiently

http://www.gmatpill.com/practice-questi ... -guide-rc/

Good luck studying and we're here to help.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Re: GMAT IInd Attempt 610   [#permalink] 28 Jul 2011, 09:06