Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 15:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT in 10 days -Advice to improve

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 22

GMAT in 10 days -Advice to improve [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2013, 07:27
Hi All,

I am really tensed . I have been trying to retake the GMAT examination after a miserable 560 in my first attempt. I have exam in 10 days and I am scoring miserably in the MGMAT CATs :-

Please find below my breakups :-

MGMAT 1 - 590 - V-35 Q-35

MGMAT 2 - 520 - Q 30 V-32

MGMAT 3 - 630 - Q-39 V-37

MGMAT 4 - 630 - Q 39 V-37

MGMAT 5- 590 - Q 37 V-34

I am really shattered . I am aiming of a 650 + not even a 700 but I really do not know how I can improve. The biggest challenge that I face is in the quant section , I always run out of time and waste so much time on the first few questions that in the end I am left with random guesses on the last 15 or more questions !!. When I go back to the questions after the examination I am able to solve a few more around 40% more questions ) .

Also are Kaplan CATs a bit easier as I was scoring in range of 600 to 670 in their tests ( 8 test series) . This was a year back when I was preparing for the GMAT again but had to give up on my dreams due to personal family problems. Then I had a gap of around a year and again mustered courage to take the exam.

Also what is the acceptable score for IR , is 5 good enough ? I score in range of 4 to 5 in the IR section.

Please advice on how can I reach my goal. Anything above 650 is good enough for me considering the dismal performance in the CATs . I am really concerned as I have just 10 more days left for the D day . This forum has been very helpful , the way the questions are categorized makes navigation really easy . Thank you for creating gmat club !!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2325

Kudos [?]: 9454 [2] , given: 3702

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT in 10 days -Advice to improve [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2013, 08:24
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi and thanks for your post. It is going to be hard to figure out. I would take a GMAT Prep ASAP so that you can figure out if you need to reschedule (you can do so only until 7 days before the test). In general the test is close enough though there is an element of error obviously.

10 days is not much at all and I would focus on your error log (whatever questions you missed, did not answer right and focusing on the reasons why you did not get them right). You need to understand why you made the mistake, review the material with the main goal of never making the same/similar/related mistake again.

Also, this may be of interest: what-to-do-30-14-7-3-1-days-before-the-test-152506.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

MBA Blogger
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Schools: HBS '16, Fuqua
GMAT 1: 510 Q25 V36
GMAT 2: 510 Q29 V31
WE: Research (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: GMAT in 10 days -Advice to improve [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2013, 14:32
Hey, good luck with your test.

I would practice on timings and knowing when to skip a question.This can make a big difference on test day. Main aim is to finish the section within the required time. therefore it is worthwile to work out a timing strategy that works. Eg half through test I should be at this question. Then know what to do if you are behind.

I would also schedule in some and relaxation before test day to ensure your refreshed.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2325

Kudos [?]: 9454 [0], given: 3702

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT in 10 days -Advice to improve [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2013, 14:38
Expert's post
Just to add, if you have one weakness in particular that bugs you, I would focus on that one as well (assuming you have time).

E.g. If you know you are weak with a certain type of CR questions or Geometry. However, if you are weak in PS or RC - those are too big of topics to cover in this period of time.

Also, don't kill yourself with CAT's - take about 3-4 tests in this time period. Not more than that.

Good Luck! And take that GMAT Prep!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 22

Re: GMAT in 10 days -Advice to improve [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2013, 22:46
Many thanks BB and Sarah . I took the GMAT Prep - Test 1 and scored a 650. Shockingly I did well in quantitative section 44 and not that good in the verbal section !. The result is definitely not in consonance with my MGMAT scores.

BB thanks for your advice. I realized that my strength was SC in MGMAT exams but strangely I fared poorly in GMAT Prep SC. I did well in RC section. My first question on the verbal front was a complicated but short RC. CRs also need to be worked on. I got a lot of number/percent CRs and one CR was based on " which of the following provides the same reasoning as the bold faced part".

I have completed MGMAT SC book once again with all the excercises and have solved a lot of CR questions on gmatclub especially those on numbers and percents.

In quantitative section I tried not to waste much time on the questions I was not able to solve in 2.5 minutes . This helped me complete the section rationally and the number of random clicks on the last few questions was reduced.

I was running out of time on Verbal part. I made a lot of mistakes in the first 20 questions which dropped my verbal score ;even though I did fairly well in the last 21 questions my score did not improve. Hence I will be concentrating a lot more on verbal now and have made a detailed error log on each SC and CR to identify my mistakes.

I have decided to go ahead and take a plunge in the exam and come out not only as a survivor but as a modest winner !!.

Please advice when should I take GMAT Prep 2.

Thank you once again for your advice and help.
Re: GMAT in 10 days -Advice to improve   [#permalink] 30 Jul 2013, 22:46