Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 14:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT in 3 hours, take or not take? Help!

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 26 Oct 2007
Posts: 608
Location: The High Seas
Schools: Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
GMAT in 3 hours, take or not take? Help! [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2010, 10:51
Ok, so here is the deal. I'm currently in a Masters degree program at Cornell. I have the opportunity to get a dual degree if I'm accepted to the MBA program at Johnson this year. However, my GMAT scores are just totally lacking. I took it once last year and got a 540, and due to a massive load of commitments over winter break (which I didnt expect) I've only been able to study for the last 10-14 days, and I'm currently in the 610 range. I have my essays pretty much done, recommendations coming in, application filled out, everything is ready to go...but deep down I know I'm not going to pull a 650+ out of my ass.

I went to a top 25 ugrad school with a 3.4gpa, and I have a 3.7 masters GPA, and I am URM if it helps. The really big problem in my eyes is that I'm 27 and feel like I'm not getting any younger. Should I just take the GMAT, see what happens and apply? Or really commit to studying and apply next year?

Oh, and if it wasnt clear I'm a first year in the masters program, so if I waited to apply to MBA programs then I wouldnt matriculate until fall 2011...at 29 yrs old.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 05 Mar 2008
Posts: 1477
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 194 [1] , given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT in 3 hours, take or not take? Help! [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2010, 11:08
1
This post received
KUDOS
VictoryMBA wrote:
Ok, so here is the deal. I'm currently in a Masters degree program at Cornell. I have the opportunity to get a dual degree if I'm accepted to the MBA program at Johnson this year. However, my GMAT scores are just totally lacking. I took it once last year and got a 540, and due to a massive load of commitments over winter break (which I didnt expect) I've only been able to study for the last 10-14 days, and I'm currently in the 610 range. I have my essays pretty much done, recommendations coming in, application filled out, everything is ready to go...but deep down I know I'm not going to pull a 650+ out of my ass.

I went to a top 25 ugrad school with a 3.4gpa, and I have a 3.7 masters GPA, and I am URM if it helps. The really big problem in my eyes is that I'm 27 and feel like I'm not getting any younger. Should I just take the GMAT, see what happens and apply? Or really commit to studying and apply next year?

Oh, and if it wasnt clear I'm a first year in the masters program, so if I waited to apply to MBA programs then I wouldnt matriculate until fall 2011...at 29 yrs old.


Why wouldn't you take it? It's a sunk cost at this point so you might as well give it a try.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Posts: 549
WE 1: Investment Banking - 6yrs
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 92

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT in 3 hours, take or not take? Help! [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2010, 11:29
Go for it, Good luck!
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 05 Jan 2010
Posts: 377
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 3439

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT in 3 hours, take or not take? Help! [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2010, 11:46
I agree. You can always muck it after if you have a bad feeling about it.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Nov 2009
Posts: 112
Schools: Cornell (R1),
WE 1: E-Payments (3 years)
WE 2: Semiconductors (3 years)
WE 3: Aerospace & Defense (2 years)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 6

Re: GMAT in 3 hours, take or not take? Help! [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2010, 12:08
Don't see a down side at all, unless those 3 hours are worth thousands of dollars (or more) to you...
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2009
Posts: 245
Location: New York City
Schools: Wharton, Chicago, Columbia, NYU, Harvard, Stanford
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 101 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT in 3 hours, take or not take? Help! [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2010, 12:45
I agree with previous posters. Do it! Curaj!

You may have only the tiniest chance of scoring 650+ if you take it, but you have a 0% chance if you don't try.* Especially since you already paid... go for it! Worst case scenario, you don't do well, it's a shame, and you can try again next year. Nice thing about the GMAT is that it's okay to take it several times. Just don't handicap yourself now by backing out at the last moment.

Hopefully my post is useless because you're already on your way to the testing center right now anyway. :-D



*This sort of thinking has justified many things in my life, including my current application to Stanford.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 5925
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1533 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: GMAT in 3 hours, take or not take? Help! [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2010, 12:50
Wonder if he'll post when he gets back.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 05 Mar 2008
Posts: 1477
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 194 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT in 3 hours, take or not take? Help! [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2010, 13:09
rhyme wrote:
Wonder if he'll post when he gets back.


I agree. Good or bad, let us know
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 18 Feb 2008
Posts: 798
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT in 3 hours, take or not take? Help! [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2010, 13:11
From my own experience, I chickened out from first scheduled appointment time and rescheduled a for another slot 3 weeks later. It worked out great for me, I had more time to prepare and I was confident going into the test.

It was around Chrsitmas-New year time too. I took it in mid January.
Director
Director
User avatar
Status: Badgerine!
Joined: 04 Oct 2008
Posts: 894
Location: United States (CA)
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 262 [0], given: 86

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT in 3 hours, take or not take? Help! [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2010, 13:15
I suppose you've already made up your mind by now, but I would vote for taking it.
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 26 May 2009
Posts: 685
Schools: Ross 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT in 3 hours, take or not take? Help! [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2010, 13:22
coakleym wrote:
I agree. You can always muck it after if you have a bad feeling about it.


Actually, when I took it, I didn't feel so good about it afterwards, until I saw the score. I was like, holy moly, how the heck did I get that? Did better on the actual test than I did on the practice tests. Must be the coffee or something. So I guess you never know!
_________________

Respect my Authoritaaah!

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 05 Jul 2009
Posts: 146
Location: Australia
Schools: Chicago Booth class of 2012
WE 1: Consulting
WE 2: Small business/Start up
WE 3: Strategy - Large Corporate
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 19

Re: GMAT in 3 hours, take or not take? Help! [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2010, 14:26
milias wrote:
coakleym wrote:
I agree. You can always muck it after if you have a bad feeling about it.


Actually, when I took it, I didn't feel so good about it afterwards, until I saw the score. I was like, holy moly, how the heck did I get that? Did better on the actual test than I did on the practice tests. Must be the coffee or something. So I guess you never know!


Score pls :)
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 23 Oct 2009
Posts: 176
Schools: HBS 2012
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 7

Re: GMAT in 3 hours, take or not take? Help! [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2010, 16:14
How the hell does he not give the score???
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 02 Jun 2009
Posts: 356
Location: Ann Arbor
Schools: Ross Class of 2012
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 45 [1] , given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT in 3 hours, take or not take? Help! [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2010, 16:43
1
This post received
KUDOS
Because the person that wrote that little story was NOT the original poster. The original poster has yet to come back on at all. Here's to hoping he/she did well!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 23 Oct 2009
Posts: 176
Schools: HBS 2012
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 7

Re: GMAT in 3 hours, take or not take? Help! [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2010, 16:49
1
This post received
KUDOS
ACNguy wrote:
Because the person that wrote that little story was NOT the original poster. The original poster has yet to come back on at all. Here's to hoping he/she did well!


Image
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 05 Jan 2010
Posts: 377
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 3439

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT in 3 hours, take or not take? Help! [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2010, 16:53
PBateman wrote:
ACNguy wrote:
Because the person that wrote that little story was NOT the original poster. The original poster has yet to come back on at all. Here's to hoping he/she did well!


Image


Hah! I could have sworn it was the OP also. Wow. [strike]Attention to detail.[/strike]
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 05 Jul 2009
Posts: 146
Location: Australia
Schools: Chicago Booth class of 2012
WE 1: Consulting
WE 2: Small business/Start up
WE 3: Strategy - Large Corporate
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 19

Re: GMAT in 3 hours, take or not take? Help! [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2010, 18:07
1
This post received
KUDOS
coakleym wrote:
PBateman wrote:
ACNguy wrote:
Because the person that wrote that little story was NOT the original poster. The original poster has yet to come back on at all. Here's to hoping he/she did well!


Image


Hah! I could have sworn it was the OP also. Wow. [strike]Attention to detail.[/strike]


Hey, I'm off the hook now I'm in. It's all oj in the coffee and cereal in the freezer for me now. :)
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Oct 2009
Posts: 170
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 2

Re: GMAT in 3 hours, take or not take? Help! [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2010, 20:35
"URM, if that helps"

similar understatements

"my dad is the CEO of this company, if that helps" (while at job interview)

"i can give you a million dollars, if that helps" (to homeless person)
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 05 Jan 2010
Posts: 377
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 3439

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT in 3 hours, take or not take? Help! [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2010, 20:44
Still loving the pic of Picard.
Re: GMAT in 3 hours, take or not take? Help!   [#permalink] 12 Jan 2010, 20:44
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Intro and GMAT re-take help jayzen 0 03 Jun 2011, 06:37
7 Experts publish their posts in the topic Taking the GMAT at age 43...help?!? l02g060 17 14 Feb 2010, 19:55
1 [help] Whether to even take the GMAT... icbkmts 9 05 Feb 2008, 17:15
Last chance to take GMAT..help :( feelgood82 2 09 Oct 2007, 10:53
Help Taking GMAT in A Month !!! smartguy 0 25 Sep 2006, 17:28
Display posts from previous: Sort by

GMAT in 3 hours, take or not take? Help!

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.