Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 22:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT in Dec 2012 - Jan 2013

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 75

GMAT in Dec 2012 - Jan 2013 [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2012, 09:32
This post was
BOOKMARKED
HI All who are planning to give GMAT in Dec 2012 - Jan 2013

Lets track our progress on daily basis. My current break up Q 47 , V26 in gmat prep mock. I want to achieve: Q 49-50 V 38+.

Quant day:

Today, I took GC quant Test (free one) and got 29 correct out of 37 i.e. q51. I am planning to give one GC Quant test every alternate day and check the concept for all the wrong answers and for all the correct ans for which I took more than 2 mins.

I think , we just have to prepare our self for the patterns and tricks which GMAT applies using basic concepts.

YOU CAN, IF YOU THINK YOU CAN

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 97 [4] , given: 63

Re: GMAT in Dec 2012 - Jan 2013 [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2012, 21:29
This post received
KUDOS
nanishora wrote:
hiya, I too am planning to give GMAT mid-December. Frankly, I just planned to prepare and give GMAT. I don;t want to wait another year, so why not now!!

I gave GMATPrep EXAM 1 and scored 610 - Q45(incomplete) & V28(with 20 minutes remaining)
Read some material and attempted the same exam again with may be one repeat question in Quant and Verbal
Scored 680 - Q45(this time complete) and V38(1 min remaining).
I tried another test - found after reading through forums, I had started overanalyzing sc questions. I ran overtime in Verbal and killed my score to 640.

My main issue is timing. Somehow that clock running back and question nos. decreasing does not work for me. Any of you got some tricks to help me?

you could use this timing strategy and see if it works. Also its important to focus on those 1st 10 questions and here's why the links are below.

gmat-prep-analysis-tool-102803.html
un-scientific-analysis-of-gmatprep-64970.html

As for the timing strategy try this

Quants : Solve 7 to 8 questions every 15 mins. The progress record should be like

Time elapsed Current question

75 min 1

60 7 or 8

45 14 or 15

30 21 or 22

15 28 or 29

Verbal : Solve 8 to 9 questions every 15 mins. The progress record should be like

Time elapsed Current question

75 min 1

60 8 or 9

45 16 or 17

30 24 or 25

15 32 or 33

You could modify the above and probably check the time at 45 and then at 15 instead of multiple breakdowns.

click +1 kudos if my post helped.
1 KUDOS received
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 304 [1] , given: 190

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: GMAT in Dec 2012 - Jan 2013 [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2012, 01:52
This post received
KUDOS
gamelord wrote:
Hi buddy :D,
I need some advices from you to meet the goal of ~ V40. I currently have around Q50-51 but I couldn't get Q51 in my last 2 attempts. My Verbal is around 35-42 in practice but I could only score 35 in real test.
I think GmatClub Q bank is a very good source. I found no questions in real test as difficult as ones in GC but I still made some unknown mistakes.

I got the same score as you with the same splits. Would like to tell you that even with Q51 V35 the overall score would have been 710(got this score in GMAT Prep). Hence there is no upside left in Quant. To improve the score verbal is the only way.

Regarding moving V35 to V40 here are the key steps IMHO. Let me know what you think.

- Practicing hundreds of CR/RC qs to improve accuracy and timing as to give more time to SC questions.
- 10 Full length tests to totally get rid of fatigue issue at the end of Verbal (Q20-Q41).

I think this could push the score to 730-740. Beyond that not sure.

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GPA: 3.7
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 246

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: GMAT in Dec 2012 - Jan 2013 [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2012, 02:06
This post received
KUDOS
@greatps24: I think GC Verbal should be still a good way of practicing Verbal, though it's the GC Quant tests which are really famous for boosing the Quant score. Nevertheless, if you have already redone all wrong/guessed OG/VG questions and have completed CAT's I would still go for the GC Verbals!

Best,

Thank you very much for reading this post till the end! Kudos?

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Followers: 230

Kudos [?]: 1973 [1] , given: 669

Re: GMAT in Dec 2012 - Jan 2013 [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2012, 16:09
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
supri1234 wrote:
hi i am going to take gmat 23rd december.But my verbal section is not so good.I cant finish verbal on time.What can i do to improve my verbal score?

Loo at these. perhaps are useful
Attachments

Gin's RC Tips.pdf [125.6 KiB]
Downloaded 97 times

To download please login or register as a user

Critical reasoning strategies.pdf [943.05 KiB]
Downloaded 134 times

To download please login or register as a user

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition

TOEFL iBT
Best resources to tackle each section of the TOEFL iBT

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Followers: 230

Kudos [?]: 1973 [1] , given: 669

Re: GMAT in Dec 2012 - Jan 2013 [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2012, 16:11
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: International Business, Operations
Schools: Foster '15 (S)
GPA: 3.65

Kudos [?]: 37 [1] , given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: GMAT in Dec 2012 - Jan 2013 [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2012, 21:08
This post received
KUDOS
supri1234 wrote:
hi i am going to take gmat 23rd december.But my verbal section is not so good.I cant finish verbal on time.What can i do to improve my verbal score?

my suggestions would be to do the following even though it may sound cumbersome and boring:
-- track your time using a timer on each question, you need to practice giving answers on most verbal qu under 2min
-- find out the categories/questions where you spend most time, this will help you understand what area you need to focus more on
-- throughout these forums folks have emphasized using error logs and you may want to do so as well. this will help you track what areas you need to polish before the day of the exam
-- finally if you are running out of time, instead of guessing on the last few questions you may want choose to try and answer every alternate question as best as you can. this will not affect your score significantly. however make sure you don't leave any questions unanswered as you may know there is a heavy penalty for unanswered qu.

good luck on your gmat.

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 75

Re: GMAT in Dec 2012 - Jan 2013 [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2012, 19:32
This post received
KUDOS
supri1234 wrote:
thanks a lot.i have studied all basic rules for verbal from mgmat bible cr&practiced rc.despite this i am facing problem specially in rc.i really afraid of rc. have only 18 days left......

Try this video on RC:

how-to-efficiently-solve-rc-a-video-lecture-by-e-gmat-142305.html

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: GMAT in Dec 2012 - Jan 2013 [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2012, 10:46
This post received
KUDOS
harsh6239 wrote:
Hi all

I have my test on 19th Dec. Kaplan free test on 26th nov - 740. GMATprep on 6th Dec - 740 (Q50 V40). My problem is that I am not able to finish the Verbal section in time. On both of these tests I was left with 11 questions when I had only 10 minutes to go. I know timed practice is one way to resolve this. But that doesnt seem to be helping much. Any other suggestions on improving my verbal score and timing ?

FYI:

timing-strategies-on-the-gmat-80176.html

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 562

Kudos [?]: 1899 [1] , given: 650

Hope everybody feels like this on test day [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2012, 09:20
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: GMAT in Dec 2012 - Jan 2013 [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2012, 10:51
This post received
KUDOS
worldofecofin wrote:
Hey,

I just took the MGMAT CAT 1 and scored a dismal 540 (Q32, V33). I couldn't complete both sections in the stipulated 75 minutes. I completed only 28 questions in Quant and 35 questions in Verbal. Could you please advise. I'm planning to take the GMAT in three weeks time.

I took the GMATPrep a few months back and scored a 530 (Q41, V26). At that time, I guessed on the last three quant problems and couldn't complete the last6-7 verbal questions.....Although my verbal score shows some improvement, my quant score has tanked. I have read through half of MGMAT SC (stopped at idioms), full CR bible and MGMAT RC books for verbal. I've also brushed through the quant books of MGMAT.

I haven't touched OG as yet. Thought I should be getting a decent score of 650-700 with the current preparation, but I'm shocked. With little time left, I'm confused what to do.

I'd appreciate any honest suggestions.

Thanks!

If you take highest score of each section from both your mock test, it will be 610 (Q41, V33).

See the link for details: gmat-scores-83890.html

Great improvement in Verbal. DO THE OG ASAP - ESPECIALLY , ALL THE VERBAL SECTION.

There is no need to lose hope. You just need to identify the problem area and work upon it.
So when you say you get a low score, there are two reasons for it:
1. You get more questions wrong - in this is the case, its time to go back to the basics. Short-list the areas where you are weak and get thorough with the concepts.
2. You have time crunch which leaves some questions un-attempted - here, take more and more full time practice tests

Prepare for 1 week/10 days. And give Gmat prep again, if your score is within the targeted score range i.e 650 -700. The go for the exam, otherwise postpone it.

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: GMAT in Dec 2012 - Jan 2013 [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2012, 11:21
This post received
KUDOS
worldofecofin wrote:
greatps24 wrote:
worldofecofin wrote:
Hey,

I just took the MGMAT CAT 1 and scored a dismal 540 (Q32, V33). I couldn't complete both sections in the stipulated 75 minutes. I completed only 28 questions in Quant and 35 questions in Verbal. Could you please advise. I'm planning to take the GMAT in three weeks time.

I took the GMATPrep a few months back and scored a 530 (Q41, V26). At that time, I guessed on the last three quant problems and couldn't complete the last6-7 verbal questions.....Although my verbal score shows some improvement, my quant score has tanked. I have read through half of MGMAT SC (stopped at idioms), full CR bible and MGMAT RC books for verbal. I've also brushed through the quant books of MGMAT.

I haven't touched OG as yet. Thought I should be getting a decent score of 650-700 with the current preparation, but I'm shocked. With little time left, I'm confused what to do.

I'd appreciate any honest suggestions.

Thanks!

If you take highest score of each section from both your mock test, it will be 610 (Q41, V33).

See the link for details: gmat-scores-83890.html

Great improvement in Verbal. DO THE OG ASAP - ESPECIALLY , ALL THE VERBAL SECTION.

There is no need to lose hope. You just need to identify the problem area and work upon it.
So when you say you get a low score, there are two reasons for it:
1. You get more questions wrong - in this is the case, its time to go back to the basics. Short-list the areas where you are weak and get thorough with the concepts.
2. You have time crunch which leaves some questions un-attempted - here, take more and more full time practice tests

Prepare for 1 week/10 days. And give Gmat prep again, if your score is within the targeted score range i.e 650 -700. The go for the exam, otherwise postpone it.

Thanks a ton for your prompt reply! :)

Regarding the reference to the GMAT scores link - I think the scoring has changed over the past few years. In fact the MGMAT CAT 1, which I took a few hours ago, mentioned that post-Aug 29th, the scoring algorithm has changed and a 33 in quant back then is now a 32, and a 35 back then is now a 33 in verbal. In short, the scoring algorithm in now stricter then it was before.

The score Link is updated in Nov, 2012. Although the start date of the link is 2-3 years back.

I'm not sure if taking the highest score from each section makes sense. That's because one was GMATPrep and the other is MGMAT. Secondly, there's three month gap between these two tests, with not much study done in between.

It was just to motivate you. But , yes the most recent and the score in GMAT prep is more accurate.

Any specific reason for suggesting the OG Verbal right away?

They are the only official source of info. No , other source can match the type, level, structure etc (especially for Verbal)

Also, should I do one section at a time? I mean complete OG Verbal, then Quant and then do another mock test?
Most of the high scorers, recommend to focus on 1 section at a time, but it is upto you.

In terms of getting a low score, I think I'm doing both wrong things you mentioned - getting questions wrong plus screwing up drastically on timing. :(

Any advise is highly valuable.

Please, give Kudos if you like my post

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: GMAT in Dec 2012 - Jan 2013 [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 11:02
This post received
KUDOS
worldofecofin wrote:
I checked the link again. It said updated in Sept 2012. But that's recent enough for me to consider. Thanks for pointing out.

Yes, I'll do one section at a time. Verbal first.

Also, what do you suggest for Quant? You seem to be good at it, isn't it?

For quant, brush up your basics from gmat-math-book-87417.html.
And then practice, practice..and practice...

Once you reach at 45..then use Gmat club tests.

Now, how to reach 50 from 45 refer this:

the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 3

Re: GMAT in Dec 2012 - Jan 2013 [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 12:14
This post received
KUDOS
greatps24 wrote:
Today, I finished the SC part from OG 12 and OGV2. But, still I am not able to finish most of the question in 1 min. Will practice SC from OGV1.

For timing strategies (especially for Verbal), there was one post which uses tables to explain. Does anyone remember the thread of this post?

Meanwhile, I just want to share some motivational words from well-someone-had-to-pay-143699.html:

The motivation:

I can’t lay more stress on this than I will in my next few sentences.
It is pretty simple. If you are not motivated enough to see yourself in the school you want, to get the score you want, you will never end up getting them. Period. It is critical that you stay focussed and work hard towards what you have set for yourself. I don’t believe in 1 week-760 debriefs. A 2 month-720 is much sweeter. Let me just write here what everyone knows - there are no miracles. And you definitely won’t see one on the GMAT.

This is probably what you are searching for. I had bookmarked the link earlier; not sure whether you've found the link you were looking for eventually, but thought of sharing the following link with you.
http://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... anagement/
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT in Dec 2012 - Jan 2013 [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2012, 01:36
This post received
KUDOS
abhinav11 wrote:
Hi mate can you please post the link for MGMAT cat tests.

Thanks in Advance,
Abhinav

Hi Abhinav,

MGMAT has one test for free. You can sign up for the same here: http://www.manhattangmat.com/free-gmat.cfm

However, they have 6 tests in total. 5 paid + 1 free (the link above points to the free test). If you purchase any book / ebook of MGMAT, you will receive access to all the 6 tests. If you are looking only for their tests, I'd advise you to go and purchase the cheapest possible ebook in order to access the tests. You will have to email them along with the purchase receipt.

In case you are planning to buy a hard copy of any one of their books, try the SC book. It's really good.

In case you are planning to buy the entire set of 10 books, you will still have access to the same 6 tests (5 paid + 1 free).

Hope that helps!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT in Dec 2012 - Jan 2013 [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2012, 04:06
This post received
KUDOS
I just completed OG 13 CR questions with 75% correct and an average time of 1 min 37 secs. How good / bad is that? Any veterans for some advise?
I'm going one section at a time and one question type under each section at a time. Plan to move to SC after this.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 97 [1] , given: 63

Re: GMAT in Dec 2012 - Jan 2013 [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2012, 08:52
This post received
KUDOS
greatps24 wrote:
Hi

Please share the SC 700-800 pdf (GMAT CLUB collection) file if you have.
I didn't find this file in "download section".

I don't think there is a specific file like that there is SC file over here under his debrief has 198 questions ( if you do practice with these questions expect a score inflation in your gmat prep)

done-and-dusted-730-q49-v40-97838.html

If you want to practice questions according difficulty level go over here and practice with gmat prep / paper tests etc you will get tons of questions...

viewforumtags.php
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: Q49 V47
GPA: 3.5

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

Re: GMAT in Dec 2012 - Jan 2013 [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2012, 22:01
This post received
KUDOS
took my exam earlier today (well i guess technically yesterday now) and i got a 760!! sooo happy!!! thanks for all of your help gmatclub, you have been an invaluable resource for me during my gmat preparation! comparing my breakout between Q and V to the score distribution chart provided in one of the other threads, a 49Q/47V correlates to a 780, but i don't really care much, i'll take my 760 any day of the week!
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 4.6 years Exp IT prof
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 35

Re: GMAT in Dec 2012 - Jan 2013 [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2012, 14:37
Hi

I would also be giving my Gmat in the same time zone but would not be giving so many test i.e. every alternate day i would suggest to take a test in 4-5 days and then use the time to work on your mistakes and weak areas since for january 2013 you still have enough time to improve on your weak areas.
I gave Gmat twice, the main problem with my both the attempts was doing to many questions and exams and not concentrating on my weak areas and improving them.

I will give a Fight till the End

"To dream anything that you want to dream, that is the beauty of the human mind. To do anything that you want to do, that is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself, to test your limits, that is the courage to succeed."
- Bernard Edmonds

A person who is afraid of Failure can never succeed -- Amneet Padda

Don't Forget to give the KUDOS

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 75

Re: GMAT in Dec 2012 - Jan 2013 [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2012, 22:00
Hi selfAnnihilation

I agree with you. But, I am only giving test of quant section on alternate days. And after test i do details analysis of my mistakes (including wrong ans and correct ans which took more than 2 min ). And on verbal i am building my concepts.

How is study going? After seeing your gmat scores, I think we are in same situation i.e. to improve quant score from 47- 50 and to build concept and practice verbal to reach atleast 38

Re: GMAT in Dec 2012 - Jan 2013   [#permalink] 21 Nov 2012, 22:00