Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 16:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT in next 10 days - Should I reschedule?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: IIBA
Schools: HBS, Stanford, Stern, Insead, ISB, Wharton, Columbia
WE 1: Information Technology (Banking and Financial Services)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT in next 10 days - Should I reschedule? [#permalink] New post 19 May 2012, 07:20
This post was
BOOKMARKED
My test day is due in next 10 days and I am still struggling with the timing. I have taken 4 mock tests so far - 1 GMAT Prep and 3 MGMAT CAT and I was not able to finish any one of them with a second to spare. I had to rush through all of these tests for last 8-10 questions, particularly in Quant.

I would like to score anything above 700 and I feel that I am capable to do so provided I complete the test.

1) Considering above factors in mind, should I postpone my GMAT or Should I go ahead and take the test just to get an experience of what it feels like ?

2)Would I be better taking GMAT before IR pops in? I tried some sample questions in IR and I do not think that I will be any good at them and that's the reason why I booked my test date on 31st May.

3) Would taking the GMAT make any sense when I know that I am not even able to complete the test, which proves that I am not ready yet?

My Scores

gmat prep1 - 620 don't remember, I have got this overwritten because I took gmatprep1 again today.
mgmat cat1 - 540 Q31,V34 ( left many questions blank)
mgmat cat2 - 690 Q45,V38
mgmat cat3 - 650 Q45,V34
gmat prep1 - 690 Q47,V38
gmat prep2 - 660 Q47,V34

~soaringAlone
~Live fast, die young and leave a marketable corpse behind !!

Last edited by soaringAlone on 20 May 2012, 16:28, edited 2 times in total.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 292

Kudos [?]: 672 [0], given: 6

Re: GMAT in next 10 days - Should I reschedule? [#permalink] New post 20 May 2012, 04:07
Expert's post
1) You should try to find a way to improve in the next 1-2 wks. You will be penalized for questions you do not answer on the test. So you MUST finish the exam or risk losing some points at the end. This test is not just about getting the questions right, it's also a timing thing.

2) IR is going to require you to do more preparation and getting used to the questions. If you have the time for that preparation, go ahead for the exam section. Right now, seems like your time is better spent improving your speed

3) You can still get a decent score if you are close to finished. But don't discount the possibility of freaking out on the exam and usually you might not finish by 1-2 questions, but on real exam just make sure that number doesn't get to 6-10.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: IIBA
Schools: HBS, Stanford, Stern, Insead, ISB, Wharton, Columbia
WE 1: Information Technology (Banking and Financial Services)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT in next 10 days - Should I reschedule? [#permalink] New post 20 May 2012, 04:25
soaringAlone wrote:
My test day is due in next 10 days and I am still struggling with the timing. I have taken 4 mock tests so far - 1 GMAT Prep and 3 MGMAT CAT and I was not able to finish any one of them with a second to spare. I had to rush through all of these tests for last 8-10 questions, particularly in Quant.

I would like to score anything above 700 and I feel that I am capable to do so provided I complete the test.

1) Considering above factors in mind, should I postpone my GMAT or Should I go ahead and take the test just to get an experience of what it feels like ?

2)Would I be better taking GMAT before IR pops in? I tried some sample questions in IR and I do not think that I will be any good at them and that's the reason why I booked my test date on 31st May.

3) Would taking the GMAT make any sense when I know that I am not even able to complete the test, which proves that I am not ready yet?

My Scores

gmat prep 1 - 620
mgmat cat1 - 540
mgmat cat2 - 690
mgmat cat3 - 650
gmat prep 1 - 690

Gmatclubbers,

I really need your advice on above post because I am running out of time. If I have to reschedule the test , I have to do so in next 2 days.

1) I would personally not like anything below 700, meaning thereby I am not going to utilize any score that is less than 700.I will be writing the test again to cross the 700 barrier. Would it make sense to go ahead and still take the test as scheduled on 31st ?

2) Considering that I have not been able to cross the 700 barrier in any of the practice tests so far, Is there still a chance that I can cross 700 on the test day ? Do people generally score more on the actual gmat compared to what they score in gmatprep ?

3) How much time would it take to study for IR. lets say if I reschedule my test for August end. Keeping August reserved for mock tests, would 2 months June & July will be sufficient to improve the score from high 650 range to 720+ while learning IR simultaneously. I can devote 3 hours from Mon to fri and 5 hrs on Sat/Sun.

4) Does experience of having taken the actual gmat once provides any benefit on second attempt ? I mean if I go ahead and take the test now and then I go for second attempt somewhere down the line would I be more confident for second attempt considering that I have actually attempted the GMAT earlier.?
PS: I have taken all my tests under official conditions, So i am not quite sure how much of difference and actual GMAT can bring forward in preparing me further.

~soaringAlone
~Live fast, die young and leave a marketable corpse behind !!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: GMAT in next 10 days - Should I reschedule? [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2012, 11:40
I am in the same dilemma .. and tomorrow is the last day on which I can reschedule.. :oops:

What did you do? Did you reschedule , if Yes... Have you taken the test yet?

If you did,do you think that your decision of rescheduling was a good one?

On the other hand, if you did take the test without rescheduling.. what score were you able to achieve?

And would it have helped if you had rescheduled?

Thanks for any help...
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1132

Kudos [?]: 5171 [0], given: 164

Re: GMAT in next 10 days - Should I reschedule? [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2012, 22:52
Expert's post
hiteshjoshi wrote:
I am in the same dilemma .. and tomorrow is the last day on which I can reschedule.. :oops:

What did you do? Did you reschedule , if Yes... Have you taken the test yet?

If you did,do you think that your decision of rescheduling was a good one?

On the other hand, if you did take the test without rescheduling.. what score were you able to achieve?

And would it have helped if you had rescheduled?

Thanks for any help...

If you do not feel prepared, re-scheduling is an option. Mind you, your prep test scores aren't perfect indicators of your GMAT score. They just give you an idea. But if you are not happy with your prep test scores, chances are very high that you will not be happy with your GMAT score. If you are certain that you will retake GMAT if you don't get the score you want, I would suggest you to wait for a bit longer and study a little harder to get the score you desire.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: GMAT in next 10 days - Should I reschedule?   [#permalink] 17 Jun 2012, 22:52