Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 12:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Intro

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT Date: 11-12-2012
GPA: 3.42
WE: Operations (Telecommunications)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

GMAT Intro [#permalink] New post 04 May 2012, 03:07
Hi,

My Name is Fariz Hasan. I'm from Dhaka, Bangladesh. I have completed my Bachelor of Business Administration from North South University. Currently it is the number 1 private university of Bangladesh and ranking 2nd in business school category. My undergrad CGPA is 3.42 with last 20 credits hours it is 3.51. I have also completed my internship from the leading telecommunication company "Grameenphone". Currently I'm pursuing MBA from North America. And I need some earnest guideline from the fellow experts members.

I have given away my TOEFL exam and currently enrolled in GMAT prep. I will give away the exam by September. And I will follow Kaplan 800, Manhattan 8 GMAT strategy guides as well as OG 12th Edition. My target score is around 740+. However, let me consider a newbie to GMAT and I want to start from scratch. In this case, how I'm going to plan my study? My major weaknesses probably would be SC and maths. How I'm going to overcome it? Will these three books cover the criteria for 740+?

My Designated Universities are :
Schulich School of Business (York)
Sprott School of Business (Carleton University)
Degrotte School of Business (Windsor)
Faculty of Business (Brock)
I'm also going to choose some of the universities from USA. But didn't select which ones.

Need your guidance and support. Thank you. :)
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS,Yale, British Columbia Business School, Wharton Business School

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Intro [#permalink] New post 04 May 2012, 04:27
Glad to see someone like you. I am Ahmed Ashikur Rahman from FBS,University of Dhaka. Currenly, I am in 4th year and expecting a sesson jam :D

Hardly, we can see someone like Bangladeshi people to join Community like GMAT Club. Though i have been here quite a long days, i haven't rigorously started preparing for GMAT.

But, being connected with GMAT CLUB gives me the opportunity to stay fresh and motivated to go for GMAT.
U have to treat GMAT like your ever closest best fellow. You should treat it as it ought to be treated.

You don't mention your current status. How well you are going?

Nyway, i am assuming your level ground, flat, mediocre. Don't mind brother.

For 740+, u need to be really good both in Quant and Verbal. Though we, BD people, treat Quant as our most ever faced nightmare and treat verbal as our competitive edge, don't get befolled. If you stduy on an accurate path ( it varies. Bt, at first, u need to be motivated, need to be a hardcore fun of GMAT.), you can cover GQUANT in 2 months. But verbal need 3 months. You need to stduy 3-4 hour daily, be focused, from today, apart from googling time.
For SC, You have the right material. You just need to stduy SC in a technical way.
If you take a closer look to Nilkhat market, you can find a official guide named 14th edition OG. You can go for it. It is a composure of previous OG EDition though it's not an official one. Then when you go for SC, You will findout that meaning, position and modifier are the A-team for conquring SC. U don't anything to master GMAT SC except memorizing some very common preposition.

For Critical Reasoning, my only suggestion for you not to cross the boundary of question stimuli.
Suppose, you elimimate 3 choice, get down to 2 option and u are sure ans is one of them. Then which one is out of scope and eliminate it. You have your ans.

For RC, read NY times andt The Economist articles and stduy OG question.

For Quant, collect Manhattan quant strategy books. They are awesome. And purchase one of them to get access to Manhattan's 6 CAT. They are also fabulous . Collect them, stay motivated, be focused, be passionate, search google mama, use GMAT CLUB and Beat The GMAT.

Special advice: For pinpoint suggestiön, Read Kaplan blog, manhattan, Veritas Elite GMAT Prep's Quarter wit, Quarter wisdom, master GMAT BLOG.
Karisma's quant techniques are just awesome. Use Gmat clubs daily question subscription.

You can contact me at: shourav.ib@gmail.com, in Fb: search via my full name.

Good luck. Assalamualikum brother.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Intro [#permalink] New post 05 May 2012, 08:41
Thank you for your suggestion. I'm planning to give the exam on September. So that leaves me 4 Months to prepare. I'm planning to have my own schedule. Rest of the time I have to scope for new options to crack GMAT. Yes you are right. 2-3 hours in general. But my case, considering I'm a fakibaaj student, I have to study more than 2-3, probably 6 hours. Also in between I have to prepare for SOP as well as other stuffs from my university. Right now I'm just a fresh starter. Just scoping through sample questions from google. Probably from the next week I will have the green signal to go. Also planning to have a bunch of GMAT geeks to form a study group. If you are serious, you are welcome to join. I have got job offers but didn't take it for this reason. Since having jobs will burn me out. After the exam I will go for it. Cheers man and thanx.
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS,Yale, British Columbia Business School, Wharton Business School

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Intro [#permalink] New post 05 May 2012, 09:31
Thnx. But, i wish i could manage time to participate with you. But, it may not be possible.
No prb. Here, everything is possible via online.
I have right direction bt merely manage time to go for it. It's time for yours to grab it. Mine is next.
In GMAT CLUB, you have everything.
At the very 1st, we can download GMat club flash card, wishplash quant flash card, bang bang CR guide, beat the gmat flash card,manhattan flash card.
Then start preparing. Oh... Download GMAT CLUB Math book.
Then go for one topic and chek for practice prb in the forum as it's quite easy for topicwise Quant and verbal directory.
It will save your time.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Intro [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2012, 05:45
Hey everybody, Here is Frank Murraay and I'm new member to this forum. Site is result of suggestions of search engine and after visiting this site I'm really very thankful of them as they gave me such a wonderful site were we can enjoy discussion on various topics.
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Pill Representative
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 2

Re: GMAT Intro [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2012, 08:08
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Fariz, and welcome to the GMAT Club!

For a BBA graduate, the GMAT's Quant section will probably be not that big a problem. You'll likely have to do a fair amount of revision to refamiliarise yourself with the high-school-level concepts that you've probably forgotten by now, but it shouldn't be difficult for you to score a 40+ Q score.

The Verbal segment may take a bit more getting used to, since you're not a native English speaker. However, if you tackle all of the three books that you already have, you should be able to get a feel for what sort of answers the GMAT asks of its students. The great thing about the GMAT is that it doesn't really ask that many different kinds of questions; if you practise enough, you will at some point be able to recognise the form of the question you are attempting, and be able to answer it by employing roughly the same method used to answer previous questions of the same form.

If you want a score of 740+, you're going to have to make sure that you score well on both V and Q. Keep running through practice questions, and take note of where your weakest areas are. Chip away at these weak areas, and you should slowly see your score on practice tests begin to improve. Finally, note that a 740+ score is not a requirement for the MBA programs you listed - or for any other MBA program, for that matter. The average/median GMAT scores at the schools you listed seem to be around the 660 mark; if you can hit anywhere above 600 or so, then your GMAT score probably won't immediately eliminate you from the running for a spot at any of those schools.

Best of luck!

Hi, I'm DonQuixote, a former GMAT Pill student who scored 780. I'm very grateful for this score and have now joined their staff :) My account of my GMAT experience can be found here.

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Intro [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2012, 10:44
@FrankMurraay. Hello and Welcome. Greetings from Bangladesh. Yes. GMATClub perhaps is the best site for GMAT. Here you have the master test takers and decent consultants on GMAT all converge into the same place. Although it is a shame I don't use this site pretty much, but i keep myself updated after one week or so to keep seeing people getting 700+ scores and their stories to keep me motivated. My major weakness probably my consistency. It really quite happens a lot if I go through well in 1 week the next week it would be disaster! Can't balance the level actually. That is what I fear.

DonQuixote: Thank you for that insightful info. Yes I do know that i Don't actually need 740 to get myself those universities I have mentioned. I still have 1.5 months ahead and planning to give myself a full jump. I am not a decent scorer. Honestly I didn't give any standardized test before except TOEFL few months back. I consider myself a mediocre student. But I know if i give myself a full shot then definitely I can improve. The score I have mentioned so that I can push myself to the limit. With that kind of score I think I might feel the pressure and urge to obtain it.

I don't think I am good at quant , but I know I can learn from my mistakes. What I fear in GMAT probably DS.

Thank you.:)
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V34
GPA: 3.1
WE: Sales (Transportation)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 85

Re: GMAT Intro [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2012, 11:02
Good luck for your projects, man. Looking forward to here about your progresses and gain inspiration.

Cheers.

"The Burnout" - My Debrief

Kudos if I helped you ;)

Andy

Re: GMAT Intro   [#permalink] 20 Jul 2012, 11:02