Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:18 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:MIT, Chicago, Columbia, Yale, Kellogg
 Q49  V43
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V42
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Re: GMAT: Is 750 the new 700? [#permalink]
kidderek wrote:
I don't exactly know what you're asking, but just remember that the gmat is overrated.

If it is indeed overrated then its overvalued by schools. There are times when people have been told to retake the test when they are on the WL and then magically they get in. Personally I was happy to be well above the average of every school I applied to. It is the one thing on your application that is the same as everyone elses...it definitely is better to have a higher GMAT. Though once you are 30+ points over the average of a school I think it doesnt matter.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Brand
Schools:Cornell '11
 Q47  V40
Send PM
I heard that if you can hit 700 on the dot, you can get into any school you want. 710+ers are at a disadvantage :P
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:MIT, Chicago, Columbia, Yale, Kellogg
 Q49  V43
Send PM
I wasn't really "asking" for anything. I was just curious as to what other folks target for their GMAT scores before they feel completely satisfied with that part of their application.

Quote:
it won't take long for you to realize that gmat really is a small component of the application.

Yep, I realize that.

Quote:
There are times when people have been told to retake the test when they are on the WL and then magically they get in. Personally I was happy to be well above the average of every school I applied to.

My point, precisely. If you've the cash (in case you'd like to retake) and really want to stand out from the rest, GMAT scores from 700-750 won't go far in helping your app.
Current Student
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Havent some schools bragged about how many super high GMAT scorers they have rejected?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
I would say 720 is the new 700 :) Since that is the average most top schools are closely hovering to.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
kidderek wrote:
I don't exactly know what you're asking, but just remember that the gmat is overrated.

If it is indeed overrated then its overvalued by schools. There are times when people have been told to retake the test when they are on the WL and then magically they get in. Personally I was happy to be well above the average of every school I applied to. It is the one thing on your application that is the same as everyone elses...it definitely is better to have a higher GMAT. Though once you are 30+ points over the average of a school I think it doesnt matter.

And how many people with 700s were told to re-test?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Life
Schools:Hard Knocks
 Q47  V42
Send PM
I view the GMAT as the b-schools wanting to know what kind of a base they have to work with when they begin educating each of us in school. If someone scored a V50 but a Q35, that says something about that person's ability to comprehend math. That person is probably very capable of learning it, the GMAT just shows where that person is at the current time in their math education (or regression if it's been a long time since college Algebra).

750 is not the new 700. You also have to remember that people score above 700 are more likely to talk about it on here than those with 600 - 690 simply due to the fear factor. The guy that just got a new pinto for his 16th birthday dosen't go around shouting it out. It's still a car, and better than those walking, but he might look silly shouting next to someone screaming "I just got a brand new Audi for my 16th birthday." It's not that a Pinto is horrible, but that person just doesn't want to announce it to the world that what they got is a little bit less than what others got.

Depending on what year the 700 you reference was scored, I might agree that 700 is the new 720. Programs' average GMAT is steadily increasing. Look at the jump of Yale and I think even Kellogg had a decent jump this year for Fall '08 admits. I was happy that my 720 (Q79%/V95% split) is above average for every program but Standford. I may not be able to say that by the time all the schools release this data early fall. I'm still happy with it, but it reminds me that I must have great essays. That's true for someone with a 790 (kevincan) or a 690. Schools don't want to read essays by someone with a perfect 800 that essentially states "I'm so good I got a perfect on the GMAT. Why an MBA? because I got a perfect on the GMAT. Why now? Because I just recently scored a perfect on the GMAT. Why our school? Because I wouldn't mind placing your school's bumper sticker on the Ferrari I'm going to have handed to me because I got a perfect on the GMAT." I think you get the point.

I do believe that GMAT can make a difference below 700, but there appears to be agreement that at a certain point, your GMAT score isn't going to make all that much difference. I think that point is within 10 - 20 points of the program's average.

Those on the waitlist that are told to retake the GMAT and "magically" get it are those that would be easy admits if their GMAT scores upon first application were close to the average. The schools do have to think of their average. It's much easier to be pulled down than be pulled up.

mojoman wrote:
I wasn't really "asking" for anything. I was just curious as to what other folks target for their GMAT scores before they feel completely satisfied with that part of their application.

Quote:
it won't take long for you to realize that gmat really is a small component of the application.

Yep, I realize that.

Quote:
There are times when people have been told to retake the test when they are on the WL and then magically they get in. Personally I was happy to be well above the average of every school I applied to.

My point, precisely. If you've the cash (in case you'd like to retake) and really want to stand out from the rest, GMAT scores from 700-750 won't go far in helping your app.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
jallenmorris wrote:

Depending on what year the 700 you reference was scored, I might agree that 700 is the new 720.

I think you got it backwards. You really need to take your head out of your ass.

[J Allen, don't change your avatar, it will make me look bad :P ]
Current Student
 Q47  V40
Send PM
True. All the "asking to retest stories" I have heard are people with 650-690. All the 700+ WLers who have retaken seem to have done it on their own.....

kidderek wrote:
riverripper wrote:
kidderek wrote:

And how many people with 700s were told to re-test?
VP
VP
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Just be lucky you could read my post since I couldn't see the keyboard! I guess my avatar lets everyone know why I sometimes screw up and say that 700 is the new 720. Wouldn't it be nice if I was actualy right though?

Thanks for the correction kidderek.

I think when I finally get admitted somewhere, I'm not going to change avatars, just photoshop the schools name across the butt. What do you think of that?

kidderek wrote:
jallenmorris wrote:

Depending on what year the 700 you reference was scored, I might agree that 700 is the new 720.

I think you got it backwards. You really need to take your head out of your ass.

Current Student
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Photoshop the Yale bulldog's head busting through the back!

jallenmorris wrote:
Just be lucky you could read my post since I couldn't see the keyboard! I guess my avatar lets everyone know why I sometimes screw up and say that 700 is the new 720. Wouldn't it be nice if I was actualy right though?

Thanks for the correction kidderek.

I think when I finally get admitted somewhere, I'm not going to change avatars, just photoshop the schools name across the butt. What do you think of that?

kidderek wrote:
jallenmorris wrote:

SVP
SVP
Send PM
jallenmorris wrote:

Yea, let's do it. 700 is the new 720. Just repeat it to everyone and people will start to believe it.

jallenmorris wrote:

Can you say, "Post-acceptance rejection?"
VP
VP
 Q47  V42
Send PM
LOL.

Yes, we can create our own truth. 700 is now the new 720. So those of you that scored 780 or higher, just count it as a perfect!

kidderek, i think you've scared me out of my photoshop idea. I would hope that wouldn't happen, but God that would suck if it did! I'd have to say "Where else should I have put it?" make the socks HBS red?

Yet another stimulating conversation brought to you by GMATClub.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
Great post, but I must respectfully disagree.

Pintos are horrible!

jallenmorris wrote:
It's not that a Pinto is horrible
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
lol the title reminded me of what my ex used to say: 40 is the new 30.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
I think average numbers mean nothing. Its like "the average temperature in the hospital". the real average GMAT score in S/W/H for white men non-gay is about 730+ as I've heard. for Chinese/Indian/Russians - 740+. but if you're black lesbian from Honduras you are lucky and should not try so much:)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools:Wharton Class of 2011
 Q48  V41
Send PM
Yeah, 720 is average but it is the average score of ADDMITTED students. If it were average score of all the applicants that would be the reason to worry.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2