Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 16:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT is more difficult that I initially anticipated

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 6

GMAT is more difficult that I initially anticipated [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2012, 07:30
GMAT is more difficult that I initially anticipated. I am non native English speaker and took GMAT exam date assuming 4 weeks preparation should be sufficient. I thought that the only area I need to work hard in 4 weeks is SC and review other areas. When I started the preparation everything seemed fine. I went through all the basics in 2 weeks and took the first Prep Test and scored 650. I was hoping for a better score and realized surprisingly that not only SC but CR, DS and RC also needed improvement. I was feeling very confident about DS and PS but realized that DS is more difficult than I anticipated or at least my approach towards handling DS was not right.

I knew I was not there (700+) in 2 weeks so I pushed the GMAT date by 2 weeks. In next 2 weeks I started again by focusing again on CR, RC and DS. DS did improve but RC, SC and CR were unpredictable as I would score good in some tests and bad in others. Rather than taking the exam with unpredictable results I decided to push the date again.

This time I pushed the date by nearly 3 months. By pushing the exam date by nearly 3 months I do know that I wont be able to complete the 2012 admission process but then there is no point in getting a low score and getting admission in an average school.

Nowhere I found the reference for DS improvement but I found out that MGMAT Advanced Quant book is very helpful. It significantly helped me improve on my DS approach and also PS approach.

As of now below are the books I have and have 2.5 months plan. Let me know if this is good enough or I need something else?

Books
MGMAT CR, RC, SC, Advanced Qant
Kaplan GMAT book
GMAT OG 12th Ed.

Tests - 4 Kaplan, 6 MGMAT

My plan is to go through MGMAT books and Kaplan review in first 1 months. In second month start doing practice tests in OG and other sources incluing GMAT Club. Do 10 full length tests in last 3 weeks and review all the corrections.

Any advice on my plan would be much appreciated. I am working towards a score of 720+. I would rather not give the exam than scoring below 700.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Schools: Columbia Business School, Goizueta, Sloan
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 28

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: GMAT is more difficult that I initially anticipated [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2012, 09:42
Did you know that you can download a GMAT test on the following site:

http://www.mba.com/the-gmat/download-fr ... tware.aspx

The test scores would be unofficial, of course, but the test will give you a great idea on where you stand. It is developed by the company that distributes the GMAT and you get two free practice exams. So if you score for example 720 there, you are as likely to get 720 on the actual test. But if you score 620, it is very unlikely to get 720.

MGMAT books are, in my opinion, great. There are 5 more guides that cover math (basics) but if you do well on the prep test you probably do not need them. Kaplan books are also rated well, except that most people say that problem with the Kaplan books are generally harder than official questions and might not be representative of the actual test. But I think overall, you picked the best books - MGMAT, Kaplan and Official Guide.

Make sure when you do problems in the Official Guide you make an error log. Error log is a document that contains all the problems in the official guide that you did wrong. It is very valuable once you get done with all problems in the OG.

Finally, make sure you don't just run through the problems and think that you are done. You really need to understand how to come to those solutions otherwise you are wasting money and tests.

Set your aims high, carpe diem

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT is more difficult that I initially anticipated [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2012, 10:55
Thanks. Yes I do have those tests and I got 650 on first sample test. I intend to increase my score by 50-100 in next 2.5 months.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 121

Kudos [?]: 577 [0], given: 114

Re: GMAT is more difficult that I initially anticipated [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2012, 15:11
I think it was a great idea to push back your test date if you have the time an energy. Here is a great study plan if you need one: gmat-study-plan-start-your-gmat-journey-80727.html

With a 650 already under your belt, it does look like you have a very strong base, and do understand the fundamentals. At this point, you just have to keep the motivation high, and continue to solidify your understanding and ability in each section. Good luck! And also make sure to master the intangibles as I've outlined them here: 10-tips-to-improve-your-score-app-with-no-extra-studying-124393-20.html

Best of luck to you and your studies! Look forward to your debrief

New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>

My GMAT and BSchool Tips:

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT is more difficult that I initially anticipated [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2012, 05:06
Thanks. For the study plan I feel confident on the Maths side so will start with Verbal side for first month instead of math and then start as mentioned in the plan.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V29
GPA: 2.4
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 38

Re: GMAT is more difficult that I initially anticipated [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2012, 11:47
I am trying out e-gmat currently and found it very useful..may be u can try it out for SC and CR..just take the trial class's online..

All men dream - but not equally. Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity... But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.

Re: GMAT is more difficult that I initially anticipated   [#permalink] 04 Jan 2012, 11:47