Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 20:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Jan 2013; Goal: 700+, ADVICE PLEASE!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Organizational Behavior
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 3

GMAT Jan 2013; Goal: 700+, ADVICE PLEASE! [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2012, 12:51
This post received
KUDOS
Hello GMATclub!

I am going to schedule my GMAT on 31 January 2013. I am looking to score 700+... I took it in March of 2012 and scored a 590 (low quant, high verbal). My preparation for this for test wasn't very focused (Kaplan on site, studied for a few hours here and there, took 2 full CATs, and then studied really hard about three weeks prior to the test). My verbal score increased dramatically, but my quant score stayed the same. After reading a lot of the posts on this site, I think that I fully understand what it takes to prepare for the GMAT. My tentative prep schedule for the next few months is as follows:

1. Taking th Manhattan on-site GMAT prep course from 12 November 2012- 21 January 2013. 9 sessions; 1 session/week.
2. Studying for at least two hours/day during the week and 5 hours on the weekends (that I do not take a CAT).
3. Scheduling five hours of private tutoring with a local tutor who scored in the 99th percentile.
4. Really focused Quant preparation... I understand the basic concepts and did very well in math during school, but for some reason I can't apply it to the Quant section of this test.
5. Taking at least 6 CATs before the actual test, with extreme focus on reviewing what I get wrong as opposed to rewarding myself for what I get right.
6. Better time management. I was terrible at managing my time the first time around.

I know that I can do well on this test, but I just feel like I need a detailed, specific, strategic study plan. I think that I'm literally going to buy a calendar and create a weekly study schedule, tracking my performance each week.

Any suggestions/advice/tips? Your stories on here are amazing, and they are truly giving me the inspiration to carry on and accomplish my goals!

I will definitely keep you all updated!

Thank you in advance.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2287

Kudos [?]: 8914 [0], given: 3671

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Jan 2013; Goal: 700+, ADVICE PLEASE! [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2012, 20:59
Expert's post
I think you are doing great on your plan - there is no specific formula for success but there is one common ingredient - persistence and hard work.

1. make sure you go the extra mile in your course. It will be tough after work and it will get boring. Try to keep up.
2. Do all homework when you need to do it.
3. Keep track of all errors/mistakes you make and make sure you do not make them again - I don't care how you do it, but do not do the same mistake again. If you... you have failed your goal.

Other than that, your plan is better than most I have seen. You are welcome to get a GMAT Calendar but I think the course will prescribe as to what you need to do (that's part of the value they provide ;-))

Good Luck!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: XLRI (A)
GMAT 1: 570 Q49 V19
GMAT 2: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 58

Kudos [?]: 242 [0], given: 44

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: GMAT Jan 2013; Goal: 700+, ADVICE PLEASE! [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2012, 22:49
USAFA2011 wrote:
Hello GMATclub!

I am going to schedule my GMAT on 31 January 2013. I am looking to score 700+... I took it in March of 2012 and scored a 590 (low quant, high verbal). My preparation for this for test wasn't very focused (Kaplan on site, studied for a few hours here and there, took 2 full CATs, and then studied really hard about three weeks prior to the test). My verbal score increased dramatically, but my quant score stayed the same. After reading a lot of the posts on this site, I think that I fully understand what it takes to prepare for the GMAT. My tentative prep schedule for the next few months is as follows:

1. Taking th Manhattan on-site GMAT prep course from 12 November 2012- 21 January 2013. 9 sessions; 1 session/week.
2. Studying for at least two hours/day during the week and 5 hours on the weekends (that I do not take a CAT).
3. Scheduling five hours of private tutoring with a local tutor who scored in the 99th percentile.
4. Really focused Quant preparation... I understand the basic concepts and did very well in math during school, but for some reason I can't apply it to the Quant section of this test.
5. Taking at least 6 CATs before the actual test, with extreme focus on reviewing what I get wrong as opposed to rewarding myself for what I get right.
6. Better time management. I was terrible at managing my time the first time around.

I know that I can do well on this test, but I just feel like I need a detailed, specific, strategic study plan. I think that I'm literally going to buy a calendar and create a weekly study schedule, tracking my performance each week.

Any suggestions/advice/tips? Your stories on here are amazing, and they are truly giving me the inspiration to carry on and accomplish my goals!

I will definitely keep you all updated!

Thank you in advance.

Hi,

Adding to your strategy:
Manhattan Guides
For i=1 to end
For i=1 to end
-> Study "chapter i"
-> go to grockit.com and schedule game for "chapter i" with difficulty level easy, If doing good then increase the difficulty to "medium" else go to next step
-> re-read the "chapter i" if you are doing bad
-> else goto next chapter and repeat the above steps..(Dont do the hard problems for now!)
Once you are done with all the chapters then schedule a game in grockit.com for all the topics and all the difficulty levels taken together.
Then you can do things from gmatclub. You can find a list of gmatclub tags in my signature.
Once, you are done with everything then you can go to OG and practice! and do questions from grockit and gmatclub.

-> practice a LOT on grockit.com!

Also, Check out my post on how to improve quant score. (link in my signature)

Good Luck!

ankit
you must believe

How to start GMAT preparations?
How to Improve Quant Score?
gmatclub topic tags
Check out my GMAT debrief
Thursdays with Ron link
Looking for a Quant tutor? Check out my post for the same!

Combined Formula Sheet :
Number Properties || Word Problems and PnC || Equations, Inequalities || Geometry

How to Solve :
Statistics || Reflection of a line || Remainder Problems

Re: GMAT Jan 2013; Goal: 700+, ADVICE PLEASE!   [#permalink] 04 Oct 2012, 22:49