Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 17:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT journal 2.5 months into preparation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 584

Kudos [?]: 2072 [0], given: 675

GMAT journal 2.5 months into preparation [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2012, 01:50
Expert's post
Hello all,
I am almost 3 months into my gmat preparation
Let me first write out whatever I have done till date
Started preparing somewhere around arpil mid. I did not want to take a gmatprep as wasting a valuable exam seemed futile. Started with GMATCLUB app, MGMAT books and solving OG questions as directed from the MGMAT guide.
Some weeks of haphazardness led to weak preparation and after solving almost 70% of OG problems I decided to take a MGMAT cat
N.B: This was after 1 month of preparation
Score: 680(Q49, V34)
OK. Not that bad. With greater vigour i started solving random questions from OG and other sources trying to work on weak areas that bothered my score.
Next week I took MGMAT CAT 2
Score: 670(Q48, V34)
Now I was pissed at myself. I figured out that I required much more discipline in my study pattern. As a result I took knewton gmat course. I got 680(Q47,V37) in knewton diagnostic so I was happy that they are going to guarantee a 730 score on GMAT.
Within 1 month(that means last week) I completed all the sessions and I found knewton to be AMAZING.
I came to understand loads of verbal concepts that were there in MGMAT but were too hebrewesque for me. I started to understand the concepts better and David Ingber proved to be an excellent instructor.
Right in the middle of my knewton course I took a GMATPREP and scored 700(Q50,V34). I was not happy with my verbal score AT ALL. But then I figured by the time I am done with Knewton, I'd be much better in verbal anyway.
Last week I finished Knewton course and was hoping to take GMATPREP 2. But then I thought I ll take GMATPREP 2 once I am done with every bit of preparation.
I was hooked to grockit for solving random questions and figured I make a whole lot of mistakes on meaning based questions.
Today, after much indecisiveness I signed on to EGMAT Sentence correction course, which comes for 69$, and scored 100% on the diagnostic
Now, I am extremely happy and I think I can move ahead to see some good improvement on my next MGMAT CAT.

So here goes my schedule for the NEXT 2 WEEKS

I will take 2 hours Every weekday with the following agenda from OFFICIAL GUIDE 13
20 PS questions, 17 DS questions, 18 SC questions, 15 CR questions
Additionally 3 RC passages from Aristotle RC sets(as you can notice, this is to set me for GMAT concentration as well as a means to finish OG13)
With this I will finish EGMAT SC course within a couple of weeks and I reserve the next 2 weekends solely for MGMAT CAT 3 and MGMAT CAT 4
I shall post regularly to track my progress and after 2 weeks I shall check my standing on the final GMATPREP 2

AS MANY WISE PEOPLE HAVE SAID, I WILL NOT BOOK MY GMAT DATE UNTIL I SEE MY DREAM SCORE ON GMATPREP
WISH ME ALL THE BEST PEOPLE

Consider giving me kudos if you like my post, ohh I bought the tests already!! Alright, give me anyway!

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Knewton GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Section Director

Re: GMAT journal 2.5 months into preparation [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2012, 01:57
Expert's post
POINT TO NOTE HERE:
I have not taken any CAT after my last gmatprep
That was a month back
In this month I have extensively fought with verbal and have a 80% accuracy on HARD Verbal Questions on GROCKIT.
after getting 100% on EGMAT verbal diagnostic I think I have become pretty good. But since I have not taken a cat lately I don't know where I stand.

Assuming any of you had the patience to go through this ordeal of my post, any advice would be highly appreciated

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Expert Post
MBA Section Director

Re: GMAT journal 2.5 months into preparation [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2012, 07:45
Expert's post
Day 1
31/07/2012
I have started OG13, working on each chapter from the end and using GMAT toolkit as the error log.
1. Solved PS 213-230. Got 1 question wrong(the decimal round up round down question).
2. Solved DS 159-174. Got 0 question wrong.
Will have dinner now and then start over CR and RC from OG 13. Will update once I am done with it.
(Worked over 1 hour to finish the e-gmat SC Level 1 preview. Hopefully, I will be done with 3 other levels within this decisive week of fate)

My GMAT Resources

My MBA Resources

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Jones '15 (M)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 11

Re: GMAT journal 2.5 months into preparation [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2012, 12:32
souvik101990 wrote:
So here goes my schedule for the NEXT 2 WEEKS

I will take 2 hours Every weekday with the following agenda from OFFICIAL GUIDE 13
20 PS questions, 17 DS questions, 18 SC questions, 15 CR questions
Additionally 3 RC passages from Aristotle RC sets(as you can notice, this is to set me for GMAT concentration as well as a means to finish OG13)

Hi, I'm just curious how you have time to review all those questions after doing them with just two hours of allotted time? On average, how long do you spend reviewing questions?

Thanks!
Expert Post
MBA Section Director

Re: GMAT journal 2.5 months into preparation [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2012, 19:31
Expert's post
See, as I said I have already completed more than 75% of OG12
So i hardly have to review PS DS questions
As for verbal, you are right
Takes time to review and so the time exceeds 2 hours sometime, or sometimes I have to cut back a few RC passages.

My GMAT Resources

My MBA Resources

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Expert Post
MBA Section Director

Re: GMAT journal 2.5 months into preparation [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2012, 10:09
Expert's post

TIME FOR THE WEEKLY UPDATES ON MONDAY

Completed CR 1-10 and CR 51-124 from OG13 Accuracy levels somewhere around 89-91%. Have marked the problems which I got wrong in gmat toolkit for further review.
Completed 60 SC questions and level 1 of e-gmat course. Right now I am halfway through e-gmat level 2. Accuracy is similar
RC- nothing this week
Bunnel signature 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2

Workload was high and so it will be in the coming week as well
Objectives for coming week:
11-50 OG 13 CR, to retain accuracy
e-gmat complete SC course
and MOST importantly
FINISH BUNUEL PS AND DS SIGNATURE
FINISH OG13 RC

N.B: I will take my gmatprep2 as i said on 12/08/2012
will keep updating on next monday's weekly updates.
Fortunately I ll be getting a week at home from 15.08-21.08
7 days to hone everything i get wrong in gmatprep
wish me luck guys
for my gmat war is closing in.

My GMAT Resources

My MBA Resources

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Expert Post
MBA Section Director

Re: GMAT journal 2.5 months into preparation [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2012, 10:12
Expert's post
Retired Moderator
Affiliations: PMI, ASQ
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Followers: 123

Kudos [?]: 672 [0], given: 21

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: GMAT journal 2.5 months into preparation [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2012, 14:06
souvik101990 wrote:
btw ignoring quant came to bite me on my ass
overconfidence pays its due I guess
got 10 question wrong in the 3 bunuel sets mentioned above
but i copy pasted those and will re review next week.

If you are being able to hover near the 50 region in Quant, you are doing great. You can, with effort push your score up by 1-2 points.
In verbal, you have a greater opportunity as you can get your scores up by 10+ points.
Given that you have only a finite amount of time and learning capacity (I believe the mind is a finite space where you can load one thing at the cost of another), verbal is your key to getting over the 700 hump. You have scored t once, but I mean scoring consistently.

Guess i'll be burned as a heretic, but I cant help saying this - ignore quant, as of now

Legendary Collections
1. 700 Level Quant 2. IIM Quant 3. 100 CR from LSAT 4. 100 Legendary SC 5. 5000 Practice problems 6.125 Quant 7. 38 SC 8. 10 Full Length GMAT Pen&Paper Tests
9. 1500+ RC 10. 100 Legendary CR 11. Additional Verbal Qs 12. Additional Quant Qs

My debrief |Free essay review initiative
PM me for One-on-One Webex Tutoring

Re: GMAT journal 2.5 months into preparation   [#permalink] 18 Aug 2012, 14:06