Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Aug 2014, 00:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

gmat journey so far but need suggestions to improve

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Schools: Anderson, Haas, Ross, Kellog, Booth, McCombs
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
gmat journey so far but need suggestions to improve [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2011, 12:10
My goal is to get 700+ on final GMAT. I gave diagnostic test on GMAT club and got 470. At first I felt i will not be able to reach my goal but then I decided to give a chance by practice.
I studied the Manhattan GMAT strategy guides which helped me to understand basics better. Then I did all questions in OG for Quant and Verbal. I realized that verbal is weak since I am non native english speaker. I then started free CAT exam offered online at various sites and most are stated in GMAT club. I also gave 6 manhattan CATs and saw that my score improved to 570 only. I then retook the manhattan CATs and scored 680 highest in one test. This is not a good estimate that I have improved a lot since its a retake.
I have been scoring around Q 45 and V 32.

I want to give my exam in 3 weeks and I would like to know what I can do to improve my score. In addition if any can point out what I maybe doing wrong. I know I can do better but how.

BP

Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Indian Schools Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: gmat journey so far but need suggestions to improve [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2011, 16:22
Valencia - I am not sure if three weeks are enough to cross 700. I am sorry if my words are not comforting. I know you are extremely stressed, and this is the last advice you were hoping for here. According to my experience, the last two weeks should be used strategically. It's not the time to build new concept. You need to focus on your strengths in last two weeks. Review idioms, notes, and logs. Take a couple of tests ( includding GMATPrep 2). So you are left with only one week.

Since you are able to achieve above 670, the journey becomes tough as you start approaching 700. You will find tougher CR, RC and quant problems. The structure will also be different if the system thinks that you are doing better and are a potential 700 candidate. For example, in my experience, if you get EXCEPT inference question in RC, you can bet that you are doing much better in verbal. As you are approaching 700, you need to focus on concepts and strategy.

Also, you have not mentioned your GMATPrep score, which predicts your performance. More than any test, GMATprep is a reliable indicator to predict your score. All the best!!!!

----------------------------------------------
My GMAT Experience : http://gmatclub.com/forum/name-of-the-game-do-not-giveup-112609.html

If you like my post, Kudos me.

Don't forget to visit me - http://mbaido.wordpress.com/

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.54
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: gmat journey so far but need suggestions to improve [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2011, 01:40
A good piece of advice for non native readers is to read some american classics. It helps to develop "your ear" and can really help in SC and RC. I suggest starting with the Great Gatsby and going from there!
Intern
Intern

GMAT Tests User
Re: gmat journey so far but need suggestions to improve [#permalink] New post 08 May 2011, 16:07
talk2vj wrote:
Valencia - I am not sure if three weeks are enough to cross 700. I am sorry if my words are not comforting. I know you are extremely stressed, and this is the last advice you were hoping for here. According to my experience, the last two weeks should be used strategically. It's not the time to build new concept. You need to focus on your strengths in last two weeks. Review idioms, notes, and logs. Take a couple of tests ( includding GMATPrep 2). So you are left with only one week.

Since you are able to achieve above 670, the journey becomes tough as you start approaching 700. You will find tougher CR, RC and quant problems. The structure will also be different if the system thinks that you are doing better and are a potential 700 candidate. For example, in my experience, if you get EXCEPT inference question in RC, you can bet that you are doing much better in verbal. As you are approaching 700, you need to focus on concepts and strategy.

Also, you have not mentioned your GMATPrep score, which predicts your performance. More than any test, GMATprep is a reliable indicator to predict your score. All the best!!!!

Thanks for the advice. I haven't done gmat prep exam yet. I suppose it is the one from mba.com. I will post the score once done.

BP

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma, Omicron Delta Epsilon, Toastmasters Intl, HHonors
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: gmat journey so far but need suggestions to improve [#permalink] New post 08 May 2011, 16:39
That's actually a great suggestion (even for us native speakers). You can start here:

books-to-read-improve-verbal-score-and-enjoy-a-good-read-76079.html

Zarthul wrote:
A good piece of advice for non native readers is to read some american classics. It helps to develop "your ear" and can really help in SC and RC. I suggest starting with the Great Gatsby and going from there!

= = = = = = = = = =

If you liked my post, please consider a Kudos for me. Thanks!

Intern
Intern

GMAT Tests User
Re: gmat journey so far but need suggestions to improve [#permalink] New post 19 May 2011, 14:40
Following are the scores:
GMAT prep1: 480
GMAT prep2: 580.

In both tests I ran out of time in Q1 and V2. My average score in MGMAT tests was 610 and I was expecting more in prep tests. I am disappointed in my performance and I am thinking I should postpone my 1st GMAT finals. If I do so I have these questions in mind:
1. how many days I should postpone the test? 1 month?
2. During the time period, what I should do to improve to pace myself better and improve on verbal?

I am thinking of doing club tests, gmat prep 1 and 2 again, mgmat tests. Is there anything out there that would help to improve pace and verbal score?

BP

Re: gmat journey so far but need suggestions to improve   [#permalink] 19 May 2011, 14:40