Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 09:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT just beginning my journey, any tips for my situation?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT just beginning my journey, any tips for my situation? [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2010, 13:51
Hey all,

I have been lurking for the past couple of weeks but have finally decided I might as well create a posting.
As the subject says, I am just beginning my GMAT studying. I'm in no rush to take the GMAT as I just finished up school and plan to spend a few years working first I figured since I do not currently have a job it might be a good time to get the GMAT out of the way.

Goal: I don't have a target number, just as high as I can / No big time constraints but obviously I'd like to spend as little time as possible while maximizing my score
What I have done so far...

- June/2010 I signed up for a free practice test with Kaplan at one of their centers and hit a 640 Q42, V40 (assuming its the scale score that goes in Q#/V# otherwise it was Q30/V30 but that didn't seem right to me).
- 9/11-9/15 Found this site and started reading Kaplan GMAT Premier 2011. I went through the structure of test, verbal strategies and critical thinking, and also quantitative strategies and math refresher. Took the GMATPrep #1 CAT practice and scored 720 (although I do not remember the q#/v# since I didn't realize you couldn't go back to check this)
-9/16-9/20 I looked though GMAT Premier at borders and someone bought the book so I picked up MGMAT #1 Number properties and I've gone through most of it.

Originally I was planning on looking at most of the books at the best GMAT books post . But after looking through the forum it seems that like that plan may not be an efficient use of my time. I also looked at the go from 650+ to 700 post but I am still unsure.

I also have not done any awa tests/prep. I am just beginning but based on the practice tests I believe my weak points are with sentence structure component as well as data sufficiency questions.

Should I go through all the MGMAT books? Is Kaplan 800 worth investing time in? Where the best places to get 650+, 700+ or even 750+ level questions/study guides/strategies? Should I take a practice a week or every two weeks to try to gauge progress? And should I take a look at the Official Guide for GMAT Review (I feel like I read somewhere on these forums that I should look at that book last)?

Thanks to anyone for the advice.
I appreciate it!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 32

Re: GMAT just beginning my journey, any tips for my situation? [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2010, 14:02
I think the MGMAT books are superior to anything else out right now. They require a major time commitment, but since time isn't an issue for you, I think they would be perfect. You will definitely want to get the Official Guide to go with the MGMAT series. While it is helpful to get the basics from the MGMAT books and try applying them to the practice problems, you really need to apply what you've learned to real GMAT questions. I don't think taking a test is really helpful in the beginning. I would work through all 5 MGMAT math books before taking a practice test, and then I wouldn't do the verbal part. Do the 3 verbal books and test again.
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 52

Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT just beginning my journey, any tips for my situation? [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2010, 16:40
mgmat all the way. Also error logs is key as well. and visit forum often for questions/help

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Retired Moderator
Followers: 108

Kudos [?]: 236 [0], given: 33

Re: GMAT just beginning my journey, any tips for my situation? [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2010, 19:53
Welcome to the gmatclub banfface!

You have great practice score and I believe with this score you can go above 700 mark easily!

As members said above MGMAT is a great source of success! If you need additional practice questions you can go for Veritas guides and Official guides for GMAT review.

Funny, Interesting and Crazy Facts, Photos and Videos!
http://funnyinterestingcrazy.blogspot.co.uk/

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 18

Re: GMAT just beginning my journey, any tips for my situation? [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2010, 01:03
You have good GMAT prep score. Follow the study plan mentioned at the link below and you would surely do great !
http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-study-plan-for-gmat-novices-start-your-gmat-journey-80727.html
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT Date: 10-22-2011
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Internet and New Media)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 12

Re: GMAT just beginning my journey, any tips for my situation? [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2010, 05:51
effective studying! dont just do a million hours a week studying, make sure you employ effective studying methods and habits
Re: GMAT just beginning my journey, any tips for my situation?   [#permalink] 03 Oct 2010, 05:51