Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 13:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT just killed me - I need to beat the damn thing

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB, LBS, Richard Ivey, Top US schools
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 13

GMAT just killed me - I need to beat the damn thing [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2010, 11:07
Hello Everyone!

I gave my GMAT this morning and got the worst score possible, My score in the practice tests were in the range of 560-590, but I got 510 -- it definitely sucks! Quant 39 and Verbal - 22.

I am feeling so ashamed to even mention this score but I want to do well and beat the GMAT – I have to get over this depression and start studying again.

I need your help in formulating a plan so that I can get out of this low scoring zone and score high next time. I am looking at 2 month effort and than give the exam again in December - I also work full time so time can be challenging on weekdays.

Verbal - how should I increase my score - any advice guys? Can you share some strategies which have worked for you? I am not a native speaker but I thought my English was good. I am getting killed in SC 30% right, CR I get 50% right and RC I get 60 %.
I know I need to improve Verbal to get even close to 600.

QUANT - Any strategies here??? One mistake I did was that I was not comfortable with Probability and combinatorics. I am also facing challenges in Number Properties.

Any suggestions / advice / criticism / will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Vishal
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Status: What to know what someone's dream looks like? Observe a large pile of GMAT books. (c)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: GMAT just killed me - I need to beat the damn thing [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2010, 13:19
Hey, I am in a very similar situAtion and quite honestly it wad an arrogant lack of preparation that demolished my potential for a high score. I would seriously recommend delving into the GMAT preparation guides and book reviews listed on this site. Literally, I spent 4 hours on forums like this and many others reading success stories, study plans, and debriefing.

My largest weakness is Quantitative. Unfortunately, my k owl edge is incomplete and while I can solve many high level problems I lack basic tools to reduce my error rate and move up to higher difficulty questions. I would suggest you formulate a comprehensive plan that seriously tackles your weaknesses.

For comparison I have a 12 week plan. 5 week Quant, 3 week verbal and 4 week practice.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Retired Moderator
Followers: 108

Kudos [?]: 236 [0], given: 33

Re: GMAT just killed me - I need to beat the damn thing [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2010, 23:15
Avataar welcome to the gmatclub (am I late?)

check out these links

gmat-study-plan-for-gmat-novices-start-your-gmat-journey-80727.html?highlight=ml301

gmat-error-log-86232.html

all-gmat-cat-practice-tests-links-prices-reviews-77460.html

best-gmat-books-77703.html

Build a plan and stick to that plan! Also start keeping error log.

Funny, Interesting and Crazy Facts, Photos and Videos!
http://funnyinterestingcrazy.blogspot.co.uk/

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 09-17-2011
GPA: 3.22
WE: Underwriter (Insurance)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 2

Re: GMAT just killed me - I need to beat the damn thing [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2010, 10:43
Hi Avataar,
Take a break from studying, get your mind off gmat, recharge your batteries and come back with vengeance :)
you do have to change your study habits a bit, if you keep studying the same way even after 4 months the result may not change, and changing old study habits are not easy, so be prepared to come out of your comfort zone.
having said that, you did not mention the study materiauls you used, so if you haven't already get the MGMT series (all 8 guides), OG guide 12 ed or 11th ed, and OG verbal/quant guides.
if you order them online and it takes a week to arrive go to the local library they might have old versions.
keep an error log, not a fancy one on excel or something just jot down Q # you got wrong and make sure you go over it, don't go to the next question until you have understood why you got the last one wrong.
You said you are not comfortable with number properties, I swear when I started studying for gmat I spent a week learning fractions/percents! and it was frustrating because I realized I had forgotten LCM/GCF
and boy I felt silly starting from grade 5 math qs! but I knew I can't climb a ladder by skipping steps.
if you really want to go to Quant basics here is a great website : http://www.khanacademy.org/
the guy is amazing had solved the entire OG 11th ed, and has great video lectures/exercises.
hope this helps,
keep us posted, I am sure one day we will all read a great debrief about your 700+ score!
Cheers.
Schools: Carey '16
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 71

Re: GMAT just killed me - I need to beat the damn thing [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2010, 10:59
Hey man.

Another fellow local GMAT participant in the metro area! It's ok man. Back in April I was just in your shoes, except worse. I was came out with a 430. Since then I've been averaging in the mid 600's area. So it's definitely do-able. Just a lot of time and hard work. I'm preparing to give the GMAT another shot sometime in a few weeks.

Recommend MGMAT series and Kaplan CAT's. But that's just me. Feel free to ask any questions.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB, LBS, Richard Ivey, Top US schools

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 13

Re: GMAT just killed me - I need to beat the damn thing [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2010, 11:46
Hi There,

Thank you everyone for replying back. My appologies for the delayed response - It took me a week to over come the GMAT debacle and I did not wanted to see books or any website for a while.

I have MGMAT books and I have joined KNEWTON online course. that is for sure that I have to change my approach this time from what I was doing last time as it did not work.

On the positive note- I have a basic iunderstanding of the material and now I need to build upon it.

These are some of the mistakes I did last time
* did not memorize the material in SC and Quant - I though practice will make me learn things - I know that was a misatke
* Though I had joined knewton, I was not up to par with the course. Quant was easier for me as I focussed more on it - verbal killed me.
* did not finish OG 12 - finished 50% of quant pronlems and 20% of verbal.
* Now i see I was not prepared for the exam.
* I need to study at least 2 hours daily - that is not happening.

I would appreciate any advice you guys give me.

thanks
Re: GMAT just killed me - I need to beat the damn thing   [#permalink] 11 Oct 2010, 11:46