Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 16:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Kickoff

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Kickoff [#permalink] New post 05 May 2004, 10:38
Hi All,
Am kicking off my GMAT Prep. today & want to start off in a planned manner rather than in an adhoc way. Don't want to go gung-ho barging into B&N and picking up all the prep. material (Kaplan, Princeton, OG, Arco ... etc)

Few questions I had -

1) What would be the best prep material to purchase for preparation?
Based on what I read on this site - I think it should be

- Kaplan book+CD
- Powerprep
- OG Ver 10.

2) Should I also look out for the Princeton Review? Arco, I believe is not so good.

3) What should be the strategy of attacking the GMAT Preparation? Should it be Powerprep Test 1, Kaplan book + CD, Powerprep Test 2, then OG?

I think I would give myself about 2 months to prepare for the GMAT. Keeping that in mind, what would be the best way of charting out a course for the GMAT prep?

All suggestions welcome & would be appreciated.

thanks!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

[#permalink] New post 05 May 2004, 11:02
Hello,

I'd do Kaplan and the CD tests before PP1 & 2. Reason being that I'd rather use Kaplan exams for diagnostic purposes and save PP1&2 for the real dress rehearsals (problem is that all the PP questions are in the OG). My experience is that the PR CD exams are a closer approximation to PP1&2 than Kaplan (at least score wise). One thing I found deficient in Kaplan was the lack of probability review/questions. If your scoring pretty well on the practice exams, chances are you'll see some on the real thing.

If you're in a rush, the concensus on this board seems to be that the last 200 or so problem soliving questions in the OG are the best practice, so if you're in a bind, that would be a good place to focus. I pretty much liked all of the verbal section in the OG...

Good luck!
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 05 May 2004, 12:00
So, do you agree that I don't need to do PR? and Kaplan book+CD, PP1, PP2 and OG should be enough prep material to sit for the exam?

Thanks for replying!

Also, Is 2 months prep. time a bit hurried? I got the impression from your post that it might be...
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

[#permalink] New post 05 May 2004, 13:13
himjhamb wrote:
So, do you agree that I don't need to do PR? and Kaplan book+CD, PP1, PP2 and OG should be enough prep material to sit for the exam?

Thanks for replying!

Also, Is 2 months prep. time a bit hurried? I got the impression from your post that it might be...

Glad to be of help... Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that 2 months is not a lot of time. I'm not sure what your time constraints are in studying for this test so I thought I'd just toss that in :oops:

Personally, I liked PR because it gave some useful hints on exam strategies (especially for awa/verbal). I felt that Kaplan gave more challenging problems however. I think there will be differing opinions on how to prepare and how long to prepare since it's kind of a personal thing.

Some people on this board have gotten 700+ with just a few weeks studying (I'm so jealous!).

The matierals you have and the two months time frame should be sufficient if you work hard and focus. The OG has something like 1,400 questions so that's a lot of material to go through. After taking the exam once, I felt that one of the big things I messed up on was not making full use of the guides or OG. I did the practice tests, but never really examined the explanations. I think I lost some insight by not taking the time to read and understand the explanations (I was blowing through the OG to finish 1,400 like it was some sort of weird milestone that must be accomplished before taking the exam).

Of course, use this site and the members as much as possible!

Maybe a good idea would be to start off doing a diagnostic test to see where you stand (after you go through Kaplan or PR there should be a diagnostic test or something like that as I remember). I think a lot of people would agree that Kaplan scores are generally 50-100 points or so lower than what you would get in reality. If you feel that you need to do more prep, you can always reschedule. When the time comes, make sure you feel comfortable with the exam.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2269

Kudos [?]: 8756 [0], given: 3666

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Kickoff [#permalink] New post 05 May 2004, 16:15
Expert's post
himjhamb wrote:
Hi All,
Am kicking off my GMAT Prep. today & want to start off in a planned manner rather than in an adhoc way. Don't want to go gung-ho barging into B&N and picking up all the prep. material (Kaplan, Princeton, OG, Arco ... etc)

Few questions I had -

1) What would be the best prep material to purchase for preparation?
Based on what I read on this site - I think it should be

- Kaplan book+CD
- Powerprep
- OG Ver 10.

2) Should I also look out for the Princeton Review? Arco, I believe is not so good.

3) What should be the strategy of attacking the GMAT Preparation? Should it be Powerprep Test 1, Kaplan book + CD, Powerprep Test 2, then OG?

I think I would give myself about 2 months to prepare for the GMAT. Keeping that in mind, what would be the best way of charting out a course for the GMAT prep?

All suggestions welcome & would be appreciated.

thanks!

Sorry, a little late to jump in and put my pennies, but I would add Kaplan Workbooks to the list. I would start with KaplanBook (CD) and then move on to the workbooks and then head to OG and PP.

There is indeed no probability/combinations or almost none.

I don't really know a good source of probability; we have a number of questions in our little collection that we put out for sale. Also, this site has a larege number of probability quesitons - you just need to search for them in the forums.

Timewise, I would allocate 3 or 3+ months if you have a full time job.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 06 May 2004, 07:55
Thanks Guys! For the timely and good advice(s).

I think I would go with Kaplan Book+CD, the workbooks (do these come separate?) & then jump to OG. BTW, where does PowerPrep fit in here?

Also, does Kaplan Book/CDs cover EVERYTHING that I would need as far as the Math & Verbal lessons are concerned? (barring probability, as you have pointed out.

thanks!

PS> Rest assured, You guys will be hearing from me a lot in this forum for the next 2-3 months...:)
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 May 2004, 12:00
Powerprep BEFORE OG :-). Otherwise it will not be a good predictor since you would have already seen the questions. Rest as BB said is ok. Read through back forums and posts of BB and others on this and GMAT experience thread. Then repost. We will be glad to help.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

advice please!!! [#permalink] New post 06 May 2004, 16:27
I took a test online and got 56% total which is low for a gmat score. The online test was just regular questions not computer adaptive. My weaknesses are RC, CR, DS. I was surprised to see an increase in my score for SC since I read the Grammar Smart book. I need an increase of at least 200 points. Any pointers as to increase my stamina throughout the test? I noticed that I do get sleepy and I do have headaches after the quant section. I also ran out of time for the last 5 questions for quant.
I have not scheduled my exam but targeting for last week of June so that I could apply for fall admissions. Please gmat experts...give me some advice and support! Praet, let me know how to register for the error log. I go online everyday and could make 100 posts.
Intern
Intern

What is OG? [#permalink] New post 06 May 2004, 20:16
Can someone elucidate me as to what OG is?
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2269

Kudos [?]: 8756 [0], given: 3666

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
 [#permalink] New post 06 May 2004, 20:19
Expert's post
himjhamb wrote:
Thanks Guys! For the timely and good advice(s).

I think I would go with Kaplan Book+CD, the workbooks (do these come separate?) & then jump to OG. BTW, where does PowerPrep fit in here?

Also, does Kaplan Book/CDs cover EVERYTHING that I would need as far as the Math & Verbal lessons are concerned? (barring probability, as you have pointed out.

thanks!

PS> Rest assured, You guys will be hearing from me a lot in this forum for the next 2-3 months...:)

I started reviewing some of the books for gmatclub and amazon.com and here are some of the links:

Kaplan's book with CD: Kaplan's Math Workbook: Kaplan's Verbal Workbook:

http://www.gmatclub.com/content/resourc ... Fbestbooks)&browse()

More are coming today :wink:

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: What is OG? [#permalink] New post 06 May 2004, 20:20
suraksha wrote:
Can someone elucidate me as to what OG is?

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=5967

Best Regards,

Paul

Intern
Intern

Re: What is OG? [#permalink] New post 06 May 2004, 20:42
thanks paul.. for your instant reply!!

A queer doubt... will using the OG alone help for a good score?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 May 2004, 20:45
It may. It all depends on your ability to master the concepts. There is nothing better than practice, practice and practice. If you run out of problems from OG, try other material such as Kaplan, PR GMAT. To improve your verbal skills, I also recommend you to you LSAT material. Last but not least, try out problems from this board and participate. Discussion is key to better understanding.

Best Regards,

Paul

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 07 May 2004, 11:18
BB - Great post. Thanks for the links to the Kaplan Workbooks.

Starting off w/Kaplan's workbooks & CD. Then going to PowerPrep tests, then OG.

Judging by the previous posts, Don't think PR would be really required after all the above.

Thanks!
  [#permalink] 07 May 2004, 11:18