Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 18:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT miserbale 2nd attempt : Help needed

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Status: SLOGGING : My son says,This time Papa u will have to make it : Innocence is BLISS
WE: Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 30

CAT Tests
GMAT miserbale 2nd attempt : Help needed [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2012, 01:08
DearAll,

Have been an active follower of this forum since February , the time I started with my GMAT preparations.

Premise : 2 unsuccessful attempts = 1. 2nd June 570 Q44 V 24, 2. 31st july 510 Q40 V 20

A bit of my prep : If i can be truthful of one thing it will be my dedication/ regimented approach towards GMAT, had given my heart n soul during the 4-5 months stint.

Materials used : Exhausted almost all OG / Ver review/ Gmatprep Docs / Bunuel Signature items / Gmat prep Question Bank / Jeff Sackmann Extreme challenge sets / Few LSAT Q's >>>>>> do i still have anything left.

1st attempt : Q44 / V 24

Took Gmatprep thrice : 610 / 630 / 640 ( Q : 44-45 , V : 30-33 ) & 5 MGMAT’s ( scores listed below )

Quant 34
Verbal 30
Total 530

Quant 45
Verbal 31
Total 620

Quant 37
Verbal 29
Total 550

Quant 44
Verbal 33
Total 640

Quant 47
Verbal 33
Total 660

2nd attempt : Q40 / V 20 :

For Quant in my 2nd attempt I screwed up big time and got 2 sitters wrong Q 1/ 2 and 4-5 other, on a hindsight I think i could have raised my score to 45 but definitely not a 48-49 stance.

For Verbal I was pretty confident : Did mini tests in blocks of 40 and in sets of 20 mixing CR n SC, forced myself to hone my skills / critically think under time cruching situations = things were working well during practise tests.

My practise scores during 2nd attempt = Took Gmatprep 10 times = 5 from the older version / 5 from the newer version = Scores hovered bwn 700-770 ( Q 48-50, V 41-46 ) & MGMAT 5times ( scores listed below )

6 FRESH
Quant 43
Verbal 35
Total 640

1A REPEAT
Quant 47
Verbal 39
Total 700

2A REPEAT
Quant 46
Verbal 40
Total 700

3A REPEAT
Quant 47
Verbal 41
Total 720

4A REPEAT
Quant 44
Verbal 45
Total 720

Though i understand that there were many repeats more in Verbal less from the Quant pool = But believe me I got the known ones right for the right reasons ( Able to recognise patterns be it S_V/ parallelism/ Comparison etc ) and not because I remembered the answers. My only objective in taking so many tests was to force myself in acclimatising to the mental/physical stamina so that it becomes a second nature. All the tests were taken with AWA n IR to simulate actual conditions.

In an attempt to do an analysis : Quant I know where focus has to be converged but wrt Verbal, I am cluless. I really know next to nothing about the sobbing story that i encountered, it's not that I am feigning to know nothing : I am confident of my SC skills and those are not over estimation or that i am trying to put on airs , surfacing from my rigorous study schedules/ recognisation of patterns/ sinking and embossing of concepts tested. Even when I wrote my 1st CAT , scores never toppled below 30 but in actual GMAT, a complete diff story was revealed.

For CR : still unsure whether this caused the catastrophe or not ; For RC : i am quite a binary person : Mistakes hovered between 3-7 in all my practise tests, but during my 2nd attempt I was managing to narrow the error gaps to quite a good extent. Can the reason be attributed to the no of tests that i took in frenzy = unsure : I never felt elated for the scores ( 700-770 ) that popped on my screen during my practice exams rather was circumspect to find whether I got those for the right reasons and not because I remembered the answers.

Exhaustion : i didn't feel any sort of exhaustion during my 4 hr stint, though was on a complete fast.

Since I am seriously broaching of giving it a final shot, will seek ur valuable inputs in taking things forward.

Rgds SKM
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: XLRI (A)
GMAT 1: 570 Q49 V19
GMAT 2: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 58

Kudos [?]: 241 [0], given: 44

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: GMAT miserbale 2nd attempt : Help needed [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2012, 02:28
Hi SKM,

I will suggest you to take a break of 1-2 weeks and go out ona nice vacation. Forget everything and come back fresh and start again!

Am not so good in Verbal so I might not be able to help you much in that. But I will share my thoughts anyways
I will suggest you to try
SC: Thursdays with Ron! Trust me it will help you a LOT! (SC score will go up buy 3-4 points for sure!)
CR: Powerscore CR bible! (Take myw ord you can solve any question after reading thsi book! It wont take more than 3 days to finish this with confidence!)
RC: am not very good at this either. But do watch "Main idea" questions suessions by Ron in the Thursdays with Ron series! (You will get that questions right without fail with a 100% accuracy!)

Regarding Quant:

The places where you will probably be screwing up are
1. The timing
2. The one odd tough question which you get once you do 3-4 questions correct in a row
3. First 10 and Last 10 questions.(as they have more wieghtage then the remaining questions!)

Now, how to improve:

1. When you solve a question and you have already taken 2mins and you don't see yourself going anywhere in that question in next 1min. Then guess and move on! (its not necessary to get all questions correct to get a 50 or 51!)

2. Identify the weak areas (which i guess you have) and try the following:
Prepare a xls sheet (topic by topic).. and keep a track of your progress on a daily basis. Use color coding (Red,Orange,Green).
Red: You are weak in theory - brush up your concepts.
Orange - Done with theory but weak in application of the concepts
Green - Done with the topic

3. Regarding the individual topics:
For i=1 to end
For i=1 to end
-> Study "chapter i"
-> go to grockit.com and schedule game for "chapter i" with difficulty level easy, If doing good then increase the difficulty to "medium" else go to next step
-> re-read the "chapter i" if you are doing bad
-> else goto next chapter and repeat the above steps.

4. Why grockit?
Because they have a timer for each and every question so it will help you improve your speed.
They have tricky questions which is what GMAT asks you!

5. General Advice
GMAT Quant is not tough - its tricky
Keep an eye on that then i guess you can help yourself out a bit.
Also, i read it somewhere that when you are doing good in Quant then you get either a probability or a PnC question. So if you get a question like that then its a plus for you!

6. Go to gmatclub and follow the discussions of the topics in which you are weak. Try to do the 700 level questions and try to follow the discussion which they have. It will help you in knowing how to think about the problem.

Good Luck for your prep!
Hope it helps!

ankit
you must believe

How to start GMAT preparations?
How to Improve Quant Score?
gmatclub topic tags
Check out my GMAT debrief
Thursdays with Ron link
Looking for a Quant tutor? Check out my post for the same!

Combined Formula Sheet :
Number Properties || Word Problems and PnC || Equations, Inequalities || Geometry

How to Solve :
Statistics || Reflection of a line || Remainder Problems

Manager
Manager
Status: SLOGGING : My son says,This time Papa u will have to make it : Innocence is BLISS
WE: Sales (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 30

CAT Tests
Re: GMAT miserbale 2nd attempt : Help needed [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2012, 03:40
Thanks but I am really not that concerned about Quant : I know my weaknesses & will work around to redress those, a single day performance shouldn't put a dent to one's confidence.

Verbal is the one for which I am really anxious/worried : Reason being, unless I get a hang or is able to zone in on the causative, no matter how many times I take a shot , I am bound to fall again into the abyss. My prep/ knowing of concepts/ scores during my simulated practise tests & the Actual one = the equation just simply doesn't hold.

Rgds SKM
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT miserbale 2nd attempt : Help needed [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2012, 06:32
can you give the other recomendation?
Goizueta Thread Master
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 680 Q46 V38
GPA: 3.2
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 23

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT miserbale 2nd attempt : Help needed [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2012, 09:46
You seem to have done well on the practice tests. Are you experiencing any type of test anxiety?
Re: GMAT miserbale 2nd attempt : Help needed   [#permalink] 13 Aug 2012, 09:46