Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 14:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT on the 7th of October.Messing up 2+2 :(

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 174 [0], given: 100

GMAT Tests User
GMAT on the 7th of October.Messing up 2+2 :( [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2009, 23:06
Hey Guys..I plan on taking my GMAT on the 7th of October(still have'nt booked it want to get inputs from you guys..)

Till now my score has been all over the place..from 580 to 680..after last mnth of prep my score actually went from the later to the former!!(this was 2 weeks back and i plan on re-installing GMatprep and retaking it so I know where actually I stand)I had made so many silly mistakes that i felt like jumping from my balcony..I SO KNEW those questions!Plus..ALL my RC's were wrong!!CR and SC i had pretty much nailed..

The main problem is concentration.After 1.5 hrs even if you give me 2+2 i am gonna mess it up..its THAT bad!

Now I have done the folowing materials:
OG 11
Verbal review
Quant review
Manhattan SC
Powerscore CR bible
PR 1012..kinda..i dnt like it so left midway
SC 1000 (1-100)

Now I have maintained the error log nd the whole last week was revising it..got all the problems i did wrong from the above sources.

So i have the following resources and wondering which ones to do and which ones to let go:
>>Thinking of taking the 5 tests before my date
Gmat prep(2),Princeton,Kaplan,Manhattan

>>Everyday thought of taking 1 LSAT paper,gmat math challenge and 25 quests from SC 1000
LSAT has really helped me nail my CR,My RC is bad so i guess that will help,GMAT club tests will take care of math n' for SC there's 1000 SC.. OPINION????

>>I have at my disposal Kaplan 800 and OG 12
Kap800 has been done in tit-bits so should I go over that cos it will be faster not too many questions..OR OG 12 say the second half of each section????

>>I have 9 retired Gmat paper tests..should I go for that?

>>Should I take up 1 topic a day for Quant?Will that help?Say, Geometry,Prob,Mixtures,Coordianate,N.props etc..to really nail down the problem areas and concentrate on 1 topic per day?

Everything cannot be done and I know Quality over quantity is the motto so which ones should i take up?I have the whole day to myself so the focus is on Gmat only..do i need to set a later date??
I know without knowing my scores its difficult to help me but i really dnt know where i stand..I am truly aiming for anywhere between 680-720. If I were to take the test today, I "believe" I will score anywhere between 610-640..:)

countdown-beginshas-ended-85483-40.html#p649902

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2287

Kudos [?]: 8910 [0], given: 3671

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT on the 7th of October.Messing up 2+2 :( [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2009, 23:13
Expert's post
Here are some thoughts on eliminating careless errors:

1. As i read a question the first time, I would watch out for "traps" that I have fallen for in the past, such as asking for difference of speed rather than the actual speed of the car in a math question. I would also read a bit slower
2. I would re-read the question at the end just in case and make sure I answered what was asked. This helped a lot in math and a bit in verbal. By the end of the verbal section, I would be so dead, that I had to write on my scratch paper whether I was solving for W (weaken) or S (strengthen). I found 2 errors in my answers thanks to this technique. Both of them were in Quant.
3. More of a math trick, but I would check my answer at the end. I would make sure it made logical sense. For example, if you were asked for an average number of students in a class, and the largest class had 25, I wanted to make sure my answer was not 30 or smth out of range
4. I used a grid for verbal and would scratch off the answer choices I eliminated for one reason or another - this helped a little too.

As to strategy, I would recommend the most to take timed tests - that will be most helpful.
Second, would be good to review them well and print out/save every question you messed up - then research and learn the rules/make sure you can get the question answered next time you see it
Third, Work on strategies, not questions - you need to have an iron strategy that you will follow even if you go blank (just like you described with 2+2)
Fourth, If you go blank - make sure you develop an approach to function with low brain energy and also practice your test stamina - take full tests (as point #1) and read for extensive periods of time (yes, just read, even if it is Harry Potter :x, though something more challenging is recommended). - this will help with your RC as well - see my post on GMAT Fiction.

Thoughts?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT on the 7th of October.Messing up 2+2 :( [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2009, 00:33
Thanks for the quick response BB!
Quote:
Third, Work on strategies, not questions - you need to have an iron strategy that you will follow even if you go blank Fourth, If you go blank - make sure you develop an approach to function with low brain energy and also practice your test stamina

Could you please elaborate on this?
And how do I build up my test stamina?!I am actually an avid reader n' usually complete any book I lay my hands on in a go(the avg size ones)so that won't work on me..

Kindly elaborate on the materials I should use..

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2287

Kudos [?]: 8910 [0], given: 3671

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT on the 7th of October.Messing up 2+2 :( [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2009, 01:02
Expert's post
tejal777 wrote:
Could you please elaborate on this?
And how do I build up my test stamina?!I am actually an avid reader n' usually complete any book I lay my hands on in a go(the avg size ones)so that won't work on me..

Kindly elaborate on the materials I should use..

Sure - Test stamina is endurance that you build up by taking full length practice tests - make sure you also do the AWA section.
You can find a full list here if you have not seen this thread yet: all-gmat-cat-practice-tests-links-prices-reviews-77460.html.

As to books/questions - nothing special. If you know a particular weakness, keep working on that question type or review your study materials, but the main emphasis is on practice tests.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 401 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT on the 7th of October.Messing up 2+2 :( [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2009, 01:53
I was sort of in the same boat, constantly making mistakes on simple parts of the math.

Best advice I can offer:

SLOW DOWN. When you read a problem in an excited state, you're more likely to miss something or misinterpret something. If you slow down and understand the problem the way it's meant to be understood, you're much less likely to make mistakes in your work.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT on the 7th of October.Messing up 2+2 :( [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2009, 02:23
advice much appreciated!
But i am still confused of the materials i've listed above which ones should i use?Can i reach my target?Do i need to extend my dt?Is my POA okay?

1 KUDOS received
GMAT Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 401 [1] , given: 234

Re: GMAT on the 7th of October.Messing up 2+2 :( [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2009, 06:04
This post received
KUDOS
tejal777 wrote:
advice much appreciated!
But i am still confused of the materials i've listed above which ones should i use?Can i reach my target?Do i need to extend my dt?Is my POA okay?

You want someone to actually tell you what to use? That really depends on where you need the most work.

I would stick with the GMATClub test, OG (and the verbal and quant review if you have them), powerscore and MGMAT books.

I am partial to MGMAT for tests as I I found them the most representative CATs offered by prep companies.

GMATPrep is the closest you can get to the real thing. Use those to guage progress and to make a final assessment before you take the test. Use prep company CATs to gauge progress throughout your prep, and use the GMATClub diagnostic test to come up with your action plan (where to dedicate the most time).

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT on the 7th of October.Messing up 2+2 :( [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2009, 06:26
Quote:
You want someone to actually tell you what to use

Please read my first post!!I've listed down my queries..answers to this confused soul will be highly appreciated!!

1 KUDOS received
GMAT Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 401 [1] , given: 234

Re: GMAT on the 7th of October.Messing up 2+2 :( [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2009, 09:34
This post received
KUDOS
tejal777 wrote:

Please read my first post!!I've listed down my queries..answers to this confused soul will be highly appreciated!!

We've answered you're questions, but I'll provide the direct responses as you have the questions listed:

tejal777 wrote:
So i have the following resources and wondering which ones to do and which ones to let go:
>>Thinking of taking the 5 tests before my date
Gmat prep(2),Princeton,Kaplan,Manhattan

I am partial to MGMAT tests (I believe MGMAT is more representative of the real thing when compared with Kaplan and Princeton). GMATPrep is the closest you can get to the real thing, and it is possible to reset the tests and avoid repeats (but repeat questions are likely). See the GMATPrep test thread for more information.
gmatprep-gmat-prep-powerprep-power-prep-free-tests-77548.html

tejal777 wrote:
>>Everyday thought of taking 1 LSAT paper,gmat math challenge and 25 quests from SC 1000
LSAT has really helped me nail my CR,My RC is bad so i guess that will help,GMAT club tests will take care of math n' for SC there's 1000 SC.. OPINION????

MGMAT SC book is a popular choice here for help with SC. Also, the verbal forum will provide a lot of insight as people provide feedback on why answers choices are better than others.

tejal777 wrote:
>>I have at my disposal Kaplan 800 and OG 12
Kap800 has been done in tit-bits so should I go over that cos it will be faster not too many questions..OR OG 12 say the second half of each section????

OG has retired GMAT questions and thus will given you the best "feel" for real GMAT questions.

tejal777 wrote:
>>I have 9 retired Gmat paper tests..should I go for that?

Most people here have not been using paper tests. It's essentially the same as using problems from a book (you won't have the CAT feel or adaptability.

tejal777 wrote:
>>Should I take up 1 topic a day for Quant?Will that help?Say, Geometry,Prob,Mixtures,Coordianate,N.props etc..to really nail down the problem areas and concentrate on 1 topic per day?

That depends on where you need to spend time. Taking a diagnostic test will help you determine where to spend the most time. My first bit of advice is to take a diagnostic test and then build a study plan from there.

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT on the 7th of October.Messing up 2+2 :( [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2009, 17:02
Thanks a lot u guys are the best..I am frankly at my wit's end now that I have decided on the date..U are right..First step:Gmatprep with AWA!!Wish me luck will post my scores soon:)

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT on the 7th of October.Messing up 2+2 :( [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2009, 21:12
Hey,took the test and am back with my scores..
As previously mentioned i had taken 2 gmat preps previously(a mnth away frm each other)
GPrep 1:660 (V34 Q47)
Gprep 2:580 (V26 Q42)(This was after 1 mnths rigorous prep imagine)
Took a princeton free test 2 weeks back:
590 (V25 Q46)..EACH N' EVERY RC question was wrong..since then doing 2-3 RC's from LSAT paper each day.

TODAY>>
Full test conditions.Reinstalled.Few familiar questions in verbal CR n' SC n' though i did'nt remember the correct answer,familiar questions alsways puts me in ease.Finished both sections with time to spare(approx. 10 mins.).Was so restless that could'nt even sit straight by the time I reached V 20th. question..Sitting for long hrs need to be worked on.Any inputs here on how to forge ahead when ur mind starts going tired and blank?
>>660 (Q47 V35)

My aim was to get into the 700 club..but after studing so much if all i am getting is this (agreed its an improvement from 550 my first ever test months back)and this score too im not sure how much to rely upon..i realy dnt think i can make it to 700.I'll be happy now if i get 680..but lesser than that is nt acceptable.If i am getting 660 here and if these scores are to be relied say taking in a/c the stress and nervousness I'll score a 640ish in the real thing.

Now what do u think?I still havent booked the 7th date should i extend it?Should I go for it?Can i even improve furthur?!

Manager
Manager
Schools: NUS, NTU, SMU, AGSM, Melbourne School of Business
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT on the 7th of October.Messing up 2+2 :( [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2009, 22:40
tejal777 wrote:
Hey,took the test and am back with my scores..
As previously mentioned i had taken 2 gmat preps previously(a mnth away frm each other)
GPrep 1:660 (V34 Q47)
Gprep 2:580 (V26 Q42)(This was after 1 mnths rigorous prep imagine)
Took a princeton free test 2 weeks back:
590 (V25 Q46)..EACH N' EVERY RC question was wrong..since then doing 2-3 RC's from LSAT paper each day.

TODAY>>
Full test conditions.Reinstalled.Few familiar questions in verbal CR n' SC n' though i did'nt remember the correct answer,familiar questions alsways puts me in ease.Finished both sections with time to spare(approx. 10 mins.).Was so restless that could'nt even sit straight by the time I reached V 20th. question..Sitting for long hrs need to be worked on.Any inputs here on how to forge ahead when ur mind starts going tired and blank?
>>660 (Q47 V35)

My aim was to get into the 700 club..but after studing so much if all i am getting is this (agreed its an improvement from 550 my first ever test months back)and this score too im not sure how much to rely upon..i realy dnt think i can make it to 700.I'll be happy now if i get 680..but lesser than that is nt acceptable.If i am getting 660 here and if these scores are to be relied say taking in a/c the stress and nervousness I'll score a 640ish in the real thing.

Now what do u think?I still havent booked the 7th date should i extend it?Should I go for it?Can i even improve furthur?!

I am no expert here, but it is clear that you are very excited and anxious about GMAT. You will have to calm down a little. I have been a victim of this and trust me it does not do any good. After so much of studying, the scores have improved but marginally. What you certainly need to do is to find out exactly where the problem lies.

- If you get tired, then as bb sugestted you should increase your endurance.
- If the mistakes you made in this test is conceptual mistakes, may be you need to go back to the books and refresh concepts again.
- Find your weaknesses and conquer them.
- Practice as much as you can. Then when you seem you are ready, go for the real deal.

Enjoy the ride. Make it an experience. :)

GMAT offended me. Now, its my turn!
Will do anything for Kudos! Please feel free to give one. :)

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT on the 7th of October.Messing up 2+2 :( [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2009, 23:17
YEs u got it right..I am so jittery..how do i know whether I have peaked?Maybe these are my best scores or maybe not..wanted to set a date so i have a fixed deadline n' can set up a study plan..

Re: GMAT on the 7th of October.Messing up 2+2 :(   [#permalink] 14 Sep 2009, 23:17