Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 14:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT: one month to go, need some advice

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 265 [0], given: 151

Reviews Badge
GMAT: one month to go, need some advice [#permalink] New post 04 May 2010, 18:09
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Re: GMAT: one month to go, need some advice [#permalink] New post 05 May 2010, 07:34
Hi,
Both of us seem to be sailing in the same boat. I have my Gmat on the 10th of June :wink:

My scores are more or less the same as yours, with maths being on the higher side and English stagnant in the 35-40 range.
Improving English is really difficult especially if you have got just a month in hand. But I believe that attacking RC is easier than attacking SC .
I typically give 4 minutes for reading an RC. I begin by reading the first paragraph slowly and taking down notes so that I understand it fully and then improve my speed in the subsequent paragraphs. I try taking down notes after each paragraphs. By notes I mean simple 5-10 important keywords and some sketches to map the para into my brain.
I give roughly 45 seconds for each question.
It has improved my accuracy from 70 percent in RC to 95 percent. Hope it helps you too.

Hey I have a question for you. Dont you think that the QC and DS sections in Kaplan Practice Tests and PR are way too easy ?? I am consistently able to solve all the questions with some 20 minutes to spare ??
How do you practice for difficult problems in Maths ? There seems to be a dearth of tough material when practicing for Maths !
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 52

Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT: one month to go, need some advice [#permalink] New post 05 May 2010, 08:57
hi,
it sucks that it seems your weakness in verbal is RC. IMO RC is probably the hardest to improve on for verbal since it is so dependent on the passage. SC you have a finite number of questions and grammar rules while CR also depends on passage but there are many techniques to solve it. For RC you pretty much know the type of questions asked - main theme, author's mood, what does XYZ mean on line 40 etc. There are techniques to reading the passage like jogging down main ideas per paragraph or paraphrase what you think the paragraph/passage is talking about. For me I just read the whole thing then go back if necessary. My weakness in RC are those political/history type passages that just get so boring and confusing to read. You could try reading newspaper articles and books to get better grasp of meaning of paragraphs etc.

If you want to get 700+ you need to get ~50 on quant and ~40 on verbal (like my score). It is not too bad for you since you get 35s - see if you can improve CR and SC as well to help out/

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Current Student
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 265 [0], given: 151

Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT: one month to go, need some advice [#permalink] New post 05 May 2010, 21:42
Not sure about Kaplan, I think it depends on which book/software you use. Mine is from 2009.

However, I've stopped doing Kaplan tests, as they hurt my morale and many verbal questions are formatted different from the OG ones. Princeton questions definitely seem easier than the GMATPrep's.

About RC, thanks guys for your thoughts. Lately I'm trying to attack the questions differently. I realized that the MGMAT technique simply doesn't work for me (I lose too much time writing detailed notes and in the end I have to come back to the text). However, if I only skim the text then it's worse because I don't have a clue in how to solve most of the questions. So, what I'm trying to do is just taking little notes and paraphrasing each paragraph quickly after reading. I can't use too many minutes to read it because I need always at least a minute for every question.

What's your plan for this last month?
I'm thinking about doing 30 questions every day after work, and 2 or 3 CATs on weekends. In addition, I've taken 3 days off to prepare just before the exam day.

Not sure if it will be enough....

Club-MBA - Comunidad MBA en español | Mi Blog "Mi MBA en Chicago Booth"

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 52

Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT: one month to go, need some advice [#permalink] New post 06 May 2010, 05:44
last month should be focusing on your weakness with maybe the last week as a review week on the basics. Doing a CAT a week is good too. But if you are easily demoralized then dont take a test a week before test so it wont affect your mood too much on test day. 30 questions seems a bit low per day though - it is almost like 1.5 hours a day after review. i think you should try double that. if you have OG you can redo those ques too. Kaplan also has 800 book with tough questions as well. Besides OG questions you can try kaplan 800, princeton review 1012 question book, this site's question bank and some other lesser known books used by some people here..

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Re: GMAT: one month to go, need some advice   [#permalink] 06 May 2010, 05:44