Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 20:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT or GRE

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Wharton, Columbia , Cornell, CMU , Yale
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

GMAT or GRE [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2010, 02:46
Most of schools are accepting GRE or GMAT scores for admissions, what is better option GRE or GMAT. I was initially thinking about a GMAT but since I have given already given GRE 5 yrs back, giving GRE again would be more helpful relative to GMAT.

What you guys think about it

[b]Make your dream a reality[/b]

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 398 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT or GRE [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2010, 04:34
Here is the list from the GRE:
http://www.ets.org/gre/institutions/about/mba/programs/

Currently, there isn't a solid data set for admission using the GRE. If you feel you can "forge" the path, by all means take it.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: GMAT or GRE [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2010, 10:26
This post received
KUDOS
This is an interesting question. I teach both GRE and GMAT for The Princeton Review, so I have a lot of experience with both kinds of students. Generally speaking, the GMAT is a more rigorous test on the Quant section, and just different on the Verbal. Most people I have had contact with find the GMAT Verbal to be much easier than the GRE Verbal. Essentially, the Verbal on the GRE is mainly vocabulary based, whereas the Verbal on the GMAT is focused on logic and grammar.

If you find that you have a weak vocab and a strong set of math skills, the GMAT is probably your best bet. Conversely, if you have a strong vocabulary and a deficiency in math, you would want to take the GRE.

Now that suggestion is dependent on the idea that your schools have no preference. In other words, more to the point of the previous poster, it is possible that some of your schools will not know exactly how to interpret your GRE score in comparison to the other GMAT taking applicants.

If you do decide to work with the GMAT, I advise taking some prep courses to help your transition. My company offers a GMAT course and is currently discounting the course by 15% if you sign up through GMATClub (the offer is under the "partners" forum.) At the very least, a prep course is helpful to get a comprehensive understanding of the exam. There are also a lot of supplementary materials you can use for your prep that are invaluable, such as the OG and GMATPrep software.

If you have any questions about the tests themselves, feel free to PM me! I am instructor at The Princeton Review for both exams, and a trainer for the GMAT, so I have a pretty good understanding of the tests and the students who take them.
GRE Forum Moderator
Affiliations: PMP certified, IT professional
Schools: CMU, Kelley
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 2

Re: GMAT or GRE [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2010, 20:28
I just gave my GRE recently.

If you intend to apply for MBA, it is highly recommended that you give the GMAT. The reason is - ALL MBA programs accept GMAT and SOME accept GRE & GMAT.

As far as preparation goes, for non-native English speakers appearing for GRE, the biggest challenge is the vocabulary which requires memorising 4000+ words. GRE Maths is easier than GMAT.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: GMAT or GRE [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2010, 22:23
from what i hear

If you better in verbal, take the GRE
If you better in math, take the GMAT
GRE Forum Moderator

Re: GMAT or GRE [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2010, 03:50
I have a 1310 GRE score. Even though I have already memorised all the 4000+ words ,I decided to give GMAT instead of retaking GRE.

The MSIS program at Kelley Business school is one of the programs I am interested in.
They accept GRE or GMAT.
But, GRE cut off is 1400
GMAT cut off is 620 ( Those who have 650+ have a good chance)

Now,considering the tough verbal, 1400 is a pretty high score to achieve.
But, from what I understand 620 or even 650 in GMAT is achievable with systematic preparation.
GRE Forum Moderator

Re: GMAT or GRE [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2010, 03:55
The topics for GMAT verbal - SC , CR etc are interesting to study once you get the gist of it.

On a lighter note , I havent heard of any GRE candidate who found memorising 4000 words interesting :)

Last edited by resh on 20 Aug 2010, 04:36, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Schools: Yale SOM
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 23

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT or GRE [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2010, 04:31
Although some schools are now taking GRE scores, it's still a relatively new tactic for bschools. I'd be wary about taking just the GRE, as it seems that many bschools measure a candidate's aptitude based on their GMAT score (among other things). If I were you, I'd stick with the GMAT.
Manhattan GMAT Student Services Associate
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT or GRE [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2010, 08:26
Hi,

The previous posters have made some good points. I just wanted to add a few comparative notes for the two tests as well as add some thoughts about which to take:

- The tests overlap on the Reading Comprehension section, so no matter what, you'll still need to be able to read passages
- The GMAT math is definitely more intensive than the GRE math. GRE has more geometry, but there aren't any questions like the GMAT's Data Sufficiency (though you shouldn't underestimate the difficulty of Quantitative Comparison and Data Interpretation.)
- The GRE verbal is heavily focused on vocabulary. This might actually be helpful to somebody who doesn't want to deal with difficult sentence correction questions or critical reasoning. Neither of these appear on the GRE, (the GRE has sentence completion, which has more to do with vocab than grammar.)

In terms of which test to take, it has a lot to do with where you want to apply. While more and more schools accepting the GRE, you might want to make a list of where you want to apply, and see what they take. If you're absolutely positive you want to go to business school, the GMAT still does offer you more options in terms of where to apply. If you're considering other graduate programs, the GRE keeps your options more open in terms of the flexibility of different master's degrees. In terms of which test business schools take seriously, I have read in a number of places that business schools consider both tests equally, so there is no advantage or disadvantage to taking one test over the other.

In the end, you want to take what you feel most comfortable with, and what you think plays to your strengths.

Best wishes,
Caitlin Clay

Caitlin Clay | Manhattan GMAT Student Services Associate | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT or GRE [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2010, 23:38
IMO GMAT is an easier standardized test than GRE. GMAT Verbal is easier than GRE, but GMAT tests time management and a lot of people think that GRE Quant is easier, but i beg to differ. I think GRE just has a kinder grading scale.
Re: GMAT or GRE   [#permalink] 20 Aug 2010, 23:38