Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 03:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Pill - My Ongoing Experience

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.59
WE: Accounting (Law)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [1] , given: 18

GMAT Pill - My Ongoing Experience [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2013, 08:05
This post received
KUDOS
Hey Everyone,

First time poster here but big time lurker :lol:

Long story short, I took the GMAT on 1/26 and received a 660 (Q47 V34) which while not "bad", puts me as a huge long shot at a lot of the schools I want to apply for in the fall of 2013. I've decided to invest in GMAT Pill since time is becoming a commodity and the guarantee of a 50+ point improvement or my money back seems like a fair trade. I've heard good things about GMAT Pill so ultimately want to document my experience with it since there are a plethora of review courses out there all offering the 50+ point improvement guarantee. Hopefully you all will benefit from this and see if the program is right for you.

I personally chose GMAT Pill because my work is very time consuming and I felt that my studying for the GMAT lacked focus (I essentially did thousands of questions but did not really absorb the content). GMAT Pill offers from what I've seen so far, different "pills" for each section of a GMAT broken out between Courses, Flashcards, Application and lots of questions. I'm essentially trying to stick to the one month study plan (which is a bear if you're a working professional). But let's start with what I've seen:

Sentence Correction

10 Core Frameworks - These are essentially 10 lesson plans lasting about 165 minutes going over a number of basic concepts that the GMAT tests you on including a number of tips and tricks. I'm a native english speaker but I really did benefit from this since most of my sentence correction thought application was "does it sound right". It was nice to see the content laid out in a lesson format though my worry of course is absorbing the content since lectures tend to be the least effective way for me personally. Still, the lesson plans were great and none of them were too overtly long where your mind could wander (I have ADD in the worst way).

SC Flash Cards - The flashcards are a bit interesting in that Zeke essentially shows you sentences with errors and corrects them based on the lessons from the Core Frameworks. I thought this section was a bit unnecessary but I think this might be Zeke's way of hammering the concepts into my mind (He must know I have ADD for lessons). Overall, was not a bad section but perhaps I'll see the benefit of it as I progress.

Apply Thought Process - 600 Level Questions - Now we're actually starting to apply the concepts to GMAT questions and this is where I'm starting to see what Zeke is trying to do. This section essentially shows Zeke solving the questions and he verbalizes his thoughts while doing it. He then explains his thought process and how it relates to the earlier core frameworks. I actually really enjoyed this section because I'm starting to see the lessons from the Core Frameworks "sticking" and I'm guessing this is Zeke's process.

That's where I'm at as of now and I'll provide another update once I finish through Sentence Correction. Right now I'm withholding judgement until I actually start seeing some progress with GMAT questions but ultimately it's been a positive experience thus far. One thing, the GMAT Pill IPhone APP does not work at all at this point though I think there is an update coming in February to fix that. Hopefully that will make my morning commutes a bit more fruitful...

Cheers!
GMAT Pill GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GPA: 3.7
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 250

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: GMAT Pill - My Ongoing Experience [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 05:29
Seems like a very good idea! Will follow your posts!

Thank you very much for reading this post till the end! Kudos?

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.59
WE: Accounting (Law)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 18

Re: GMAT Pill - My Ongoing Experience [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2013, 07:28
Back again, finished Sentence Correction for the most part so wanted to debrief on it.

Sentence Correction Part 2

Apply Thought Process - 700 Level Questions and OG13 SC 1-20 Video Explanations

This section is pretty much exactly the same as the previous section with the exception that questions are now 700 level. Nothing really new here but they do tackle some wacky sentences which is nice to see.

Practice Platform

This is where we start to see if I've actually been learning things because now we're actually doing actual questions. The nice thing about this section is regardless of whether you get a question right or wrong, there is a video explanation from Zeke on how to solve the problem. There are over 115 questions and I answered about 90 of them since I want to leave a few for practice before the exam. At this point I suggest keeping a log and reviewing the earlier core frameworks (or at least the PDF document). Many of the questions he'll relate to earlier frameworks so I'm starting to see the concepts "stick" a bit. The difficult issue though is finding that happy medium between items that signal a certain preferred answer and going with your instinct. I think at this point it takes practice because while I'm armed with a lot of tricks and tips now, there are a number of items where they do not apply or there is an item that cancels them out.

Practice Quizzes

The last part of the SC section is 4 quizzes, 2 with 600 level questions and 2 with 700 questions and each containing 9 questions. I recommend you wait to do this section for a few days or weeks (maybe even a week before the exam date). A number of questions used in the frameworks or in the practice questions are used in the quizzes so you will want to avoid remembering answers versus actually applying the thought process.

SC Overall

The section was surprisingly short but again, GMAT Pill is designed for individuals who have a least a decent grasp of the english language. The course is designed to make you proficient in tackling GMAT SC questions, not for making you a grammar nazi. Overall, I still don't feel like I'm going to blaze through the SC section, but I think the best thing the course taught me is to simplify the process of solving SC questions more than anything. Best advice I learned too is that the GMAT question creators are evil and will try and bait you into picking the wrong answer. I'll withhold my judgement on SC as a whole till I take a practice exam but overall so far, so good. Again, remember to keep a log and continually review the notes.

On to CR!
Re: GMAT Pill - My Ongoing Experience   [#permalink] 31 Jan 2013, 07:28