Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:21 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q46 V40
WE:General Management (Health Care)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Re: GMAT Plan Advice [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Yes, there is no way you will get 730 with those practice scores unless you were significantly disrupted during those evens, so no need to waste money. The suggestion to take when you are not ready is if you are within a 7 day window or less and would not get any $ back if you moved the appointment.

You can focus on both Q and V - which you probably should. There is no right/wrong way to study. Just faster and slower but it is really dependent on what you are used to and how your mind works.

It looks like your biggest issue is finding time and committing it to the GMAT. I would do just that during the holidays: gmatp-prep-and-the-holidays-124144.html
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you for the advice bb. I definitely agree that my biggest issue is not having time to commit to a structured study plan right now.

Do you have a recommendation on how far out I should reschedule the exam? I normally do pretty well on standardized tests and I actually enjoy the quant section (and some verbal). I feel that I just need to reinforce some core principles in each and get more practice in.

A brief background on myself..
Top 15 US University grad who was on Varsity Track team, did ROTC and was in a fraternal organization.
Military Officer for the last 3 years as a Helicopter pilot and now in the National Guard, still as a pilot and officer.
Currently working in consulting and just starting to become heavily involved with large non-profit organizations in key roles.

Unfortunately, my ugrad gpa is very low and I know that if I want a decent shot at any Top 15 program I will need to get a very high GMAT score in attempt to offset it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello BB,

I've been looking for an opportunity to ask you a question and hope you can give me some advice. I will officially start studying for the gmat tomorrow and have about 4 months to do so. Today I took a practice MGMAT and got a 460 (Q26/V28). Horrid I know. This was without any previous studying. But I know I have a lot of weaknesses to improve upon. i have three questions:

What score can I realistically hope to achieve with four months studying? Of course I want a 700+, but is that unrealistic?

Also, where should I start? I have the Kaplan Premier 2011 thus far. I've read your 3 month study plan and book reviews, is there additional advice you can give me?

And Finally, for someone who is attempting to go from 460 to 700+, would it be worth it to pay for an expensive class? or self study?

Any assistance you can give me will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Wanted to just make an update..

I postponed the test until Feb 4th and took much of the holiday off to give my brain a break.

Coming back from the break I scored the following:

GMATPrep1(3, but a month since last taken): 730 (Q 48/V 42)
MGMAT 4: 700 (Q 46/V 39)
MGMAT 5: 710 (Q 47/V 40)
GMATPrep2(1): 700 (Q 48/ V 38)
GMATPrep(2): 730 (Q 50/V 39)

I decided to go through with taking the test this Saturday. Was wondering if anyone has any last minute advice?

My goal is to try to get a 730.

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Concentration: Tuck,Cornell,Duke
 Q47  V20 GMAT 2: 560  Q45  V22
WE 1: 4.6 years Exp IT prof
Send PM
Best of luck first of all I will give you just one advice
Rest well before Exam
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Cobb,

I had a few friends who took the test recently, and best advice is to not study the day before the exam, possibly even two to three days of no study. Also, since you are taking it on Saturday, do not go to work Friday or stay out late. Heard a lot of feedback that taking it on Saturday is tiring after a long week of work, so try to just rest and relax the night before.

Also, wondering how you score so consistently on the practice GMAT tests, and what you did to combo both the math and verbal up, I saw that you were upping the verbal but the quant went down a bit.

Thanks,

TC
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: IE '15 (M)
WE:Consulting (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Go for it! PrepTests look fine. Best luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for the support!

I ended up with a 710, (Q 46, V 41)

I was a little disappointed with the Quant, but very please with verbal. I think I started to get into my groove as the test went on. The verbal I was a little surprised by some of the questions types, saw some question formats I never saw in any practice CATs I took. I think I am satisfied enough with my score and will now start focusing on the rest of the application process, start building a story for my essays.

If anyone has any questions about the test, let me know. Also, I would greatly appreciate any advice/comments.

Thanks!
GMAT Club Bot