Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:17 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618585 [19]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2427 [2]
Given Kudos: 1131
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMATClub
Own Kudos [?]: 8831 [2]
Given Kudos: 3034
GRE 1: Q168 V154
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
Send PM
Re: A pattern of accidents, of personnel problems, and of low performance [#permalink]
workout, can you please explain why Servicing sounds correct, while Maintaining does not?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [0]
Given Kudos: 353
Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
WE:Sales (Telecommunications)
Send PM
A pattern of accidents, of personnel problems, and of low performance [#permalink]
Terabyte wrote:
workout, can you please explain why Servicing sounds correct, while Maintaining does not?

The difference between D and E is that "maintaining of new plant" doesn't sound correct while "servicing" alone is ok. To be 100% precise "service and maintenance" would be best option
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
GMAT 1: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V36
GMAT 3: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: A pattern of accidents, of personnel problems, and of low performance [#permalink]
Can someone explain the reason to choose E over D from grammar point of view

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 733 [0]
Given Kudos: 362
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Our first clue to eliminate answer choices is "has" vs. "have".
We are talking about "a pattern", hence we have to use "has".

Our second decision point is "servicing and maintenance" vs "service and maintenance", as we want to keep the parallelism intact we opt for the latter choice.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Chris
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 286 [0]
Given Kudos: 72
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
GPA: 3.87
WE:Design (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Neuto123 wrote:
Can someone explain the reason to choose E over D from grammar point of view

D. has marked the service and maintaining
E. has marked the servicing and maintenance

If we consider full sentence --> Option D: has marked the service and maintaining of the new power plant.

either we say maintenance of the new power plant or maintaining the new power plant .
use of maintaining of is non-idiomatic .

similarly servicing of new power plant rather than service of new power plant.
Eg : you give a bike for servicing( cleaning) rather than to service .

SO E : has marked the servicing and maintenance of the new power plant --- Correct

Hope its helpful...
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [2]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
The trick here is that some English verbs have distinct noun forms and some don't. "Maintain" has the noun form "maintenance," while, for instance, "send" just has "sending." It can get complicated, depending on what exactly we're trying to say, but a good rule of thumb is that if there is a dedicated noun form, we should use it. For that reason, it might be nicer to say "service" (as a noun) than "servicing," but "service" has more possible meanings, so one could argue that "servicing" is clearer. In any case, since we should use the noun form "maintenance," E wins.

Try out this official problem that works with the same noun form issue:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/building-on- ... 30798.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 151 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Sentence can be reduced as below:

A pattern of X, of B, and of C have marked the servicing and maintaining of the new power plant.
1. Pattern is singular, so had should be used
2. Maintaining is Modifier, we need noun

Due to 1 A,B & C are excluded

D. has marked the service and maintaining-2
E. has marked the servicing and maintenance-correct

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 228
Send PM
A pattern of accidents, of personnel problems, and of low performance [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
A pattern of accidents, of personnel problems, and of low performance ratings for mechanical systems have marked the servicing and maintaining of the new power plant.

A. have marked the servicing and maintaining
B. have marked the servicing and maintenance
C. have marked the service and maintenance
D. has marked the service and maintaining
E. has marked the servicing and maintenance

daagh
need help on this ,i always get confused in such constructions
A pattern of accidents , of personnel problems , and of low performances : is singluar as pattern is singular ,my question is
it can be read like
a pattern of accidents , a pattern of personnel problems , and a pattern of low performances : then isnot it pluaral
if i belive that of is prep phrase so subject cannot be in prep pharse
then should not it be
a pattern of [accidents ,personnel problems and low performances] : then singular
but in that case how will i know personal problems and low performaces also are part of a pattern of .

If i see this question :
A surge in new home sales and a drop in weekly unemployment claims suggest that the economy might not be as weak as some analysts previously thought.

here a surge and a drop are two diff things so plural subjetc is claer
but say
it had been
1)a surge in new home sales and weekly employment
what will it be : singular or plural
will it be read like
A) a surge in new home sales and a surge in weekly employemnt --
will this be plural or singular?
or as
B) a surge in new home sales(something) and weekly employment (some other thing) -- this will be plural right?

Also had it been
a surge in new home sales and in weekly empolment
how to read this
D)a surge in new home sales and a surge in weekly employemnt
or E) a surge [in new home sales and weekly employemnt ]

Plz clear .
Thanks a lot
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Vanam

Is a pattern singular or plural? To answer this answer the following questions.

How many times is the word 'a pattern' mentioned? Only one. Am I right?
What is the need to imagine "a pattern of X, a pattern of Y and a pattern of Z when they are not given in the text?

Just try this tip; first practice to ignore all the prepositional modifiers ( even if there are 100 prepositional modifiers) in constructions such as "a noun plus a prepositional phrase" e.g a pattern of, a study of, a list of, a group of ' The prepositional phrase is simply a middleman and has no say in the issue of subject- verb number agreement.
Then bring the verb next to the lonely subject and try to match. You will see the subject-verb agreement or diagreeent popping up in front of you.

1) a surge in new home sales and weekly employment
How many times a surge mentioned? Only Once and that decides the SV agreement because 'in new home sales and weekly employment" is only a prepositional modifier of a single surge.

P.S: What follows a preposition is the object of the preposition and therefore an object cannot be a subject unless it is converted. That an object can become a subject in a different context is not to be considered and confused just now.
Takeaway: Strip a clause of all the frills and just narrow down on the subject and verb to decide the S-V agreement. Your problem will be solved.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 228
Send PM
daagh wrote:
Vanam

Is a pattern singular or plural? To answer this answer the following questions.

How many times is the word 'a pattern' mentioned? Only one. Am I right?
What is the need to imagine "a pattern of X, a pattern of Y and a pattern of Z when they are not given in the text?

Just try this tip; first practice to ignore all the prepositional modifiers ( even if there are 100 prepositional modifiers) in constructions such as "a noun plus a prepositional phrase" e.g a pattern of, a study of, a list of, a group of ' The prepositional phrase is simply a middleman and has no say in the issue of subject- verb number agreement.
Then bring the verb next to the lonely subject and try to match. You will see the subject-verb agreement or diagreeent popping up in front of you.

1) a surge in new home sales and weekly employment
How many times a surge mentioned? Only Once and that decides the SV agreement because 'in new home sales and weekly employment" is only a prepositional modifier of a single surge.

P.S: What follows a preposition is the object of the preposition and therefore an object cannot be a subject unless it is converted. That an object can become a subject in a different context is not to be considered and confused just now.
Takeaway: Strip a clause of all the frills and just narrow down on the subject and verb to decide the S-V agreement. Your problem will be solved.

thank you so much
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 100
Send PM
Terabyte wrote:

Servicing acts as a Noun and is not parallel to maintaining (modifier)
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts