Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 20:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Practice test score 420-480. Please help me...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

GMAT Practice test score 420-480. Please help me... [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2010, 21:46
ALL,

I need your help in the way i am preparing for GMAT. Before nine months i prepared for GMAT for 2 months. I studied on my own and in practice tests (OG,MGMAT etc) i was getting consistently around 420(33Q 14V).

I realized i need to spend more time on GMAT and went for a 9 session onsite MGMAT (manhattan GMAT) class. Due to work schedule I managed to complete only 30% of MGMAT assignments. I was on track every week for MGMAT SC topics. Overall i learnt below from MGMAT classes:

1. SC - Grammar rules
2. DS elimination strategy
3. CR - Diagramming
4. RC - short and long passages strategies.

After my course has completed i solved around 50% of OG 12 problems. For the questions that went wrong I always looked at explainations. I also do montior forums like beatthegmat,gmatclub and MGMAT.

I am hoping for a target score of 700+ in real GMAT. Hoping that i am going to perform better in real GMAT I have been taking practice tests (once a week) from last few days including GMAT Prep I, II and MGMAT tests (timed including AWA). Again i am back to normal, I am scoring consistently between 420-480(33-38 Q & 14-18 V).

I realized my biggest weak points while taking practice tests are in verbal:

1. CR - I try to follow MGMAT CR diagram approach and run out of time (2.15 minutes per CR question).

2. SC - under the pressure of 1.5 mintues per Q i get confused or select wrong choice.

3. From 25th to 41 question i am speeding up and making lots of mistakes. I am almost guessing on last RC passage(usually around 30th question) and on some tough CR questions.

4. when i review the practice tests i try to solve the wrong ones again and i can correctly solve the problem. Only under time pressure i am making mistakes.

Please give me your thoughts on how i should proceed from now. I know the basics, i have read lots of GMAT materials and i did quite a few tests (timed including AWA).
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Followers: 340

Kudos [?]: 1394 [1] , given: 194

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Practice test score 420-480. Please help me... [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2010, 22:17
This post received
KUDOS
There seems to be a lot of gaping holes in your preparation strategy, but it doesn't mean that you can't achieve your score. First off, any prep course is effective only if you give your 100% interest to it. Incomplete test prep courses are practically useless. Comments below:

sureng wrote:
ALL,

I need your help in the way i am preparing for GMAT. Before nine months i prepared for GMAT for 2 months. I studied on my own and in practice tests (OG,MGMAT etc) i was getting consistently around 420(33Q 14V). Seems like you're having trouble with Q too. A 33 is not a very high percentile so you should focus on Q as well as V.

I realized i need to spend more time on GMAT and went for a 9 session onsite MGMAT (manhattan GMAT) class. Due to work schedule I managed to complete only 30% of MGMAT assignments. I was on track every week for MGMAT SC topics. Overall i learnt below from MGMAT classes:

1. SC - Grammar rules
3. CR - Diagramming

After my course has completed i solved around 50% of OG 12 problems. For the questions that went wrong I always looked at explainations. I also do montior forums like beatthegmat,gmatclub and MGMAT. Without knowing the concepts doing OG problems is absolutely a waste of time. OG is a question bank, not a strategy guide.

I am hoping for a target score of 700+ in real GMAT. Hoping that i am going to perform better in real GMAT I have been taking practice tests (once a week) from last few days including GMAT Prep I, II and MGMAT tests (timed including AWA). Again i am back to normal, I am scoring consistently between 420-480(33-38 Q & 14-18 V). Taking practice tests will not help you. It looks like you have a problem with the concepts.

I realized my biggest weak points while taking practice tests are in verbal Not completely, I think. You seem to have a problem with Quant as well. :

1. CR - I try to follow MGMAT CR diagram approach and run out of time (2.15 minutes per CR question). I don't know about many people who've done the MGMAT strategy for CR. But the Powerscore one is pretty good. Maybe you can get Powerscore CR, or Veritas CR Guides and practice with that. The strategies are explained well too and focus more on the physics of the CR type than spending lots of time writing stuff down. There are many threads in the CR forum that address this topic too. Check those out.

2. SC - under the pressure of 1.5 mintues per Q i get confused or select wrong choice SC is the easiest area to improve on. Get MGMAT SC and read it cover to cover. You'll be set.

3. From 25th to 41 question i am speeding up and making lots of mistakes. I am almost guessing on last RC passage(usually around 30th question) and on some tough CR questions. Time management only comes when you are aware of all the concepts and perfected the strategies. Worry about this later.

4. when i review the practice tests i try to solve the wrong ones again and i can correctly solve the problem. Only under time pressure i am making mistakes. Once again, fundamental knowledge will help

Please give me your thoughts on how i should proceed from now. I know the basics, i have read lots of GMAT materials and i did quite a few tests (timed including AWA).
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: GMAT Practice test score 420-480. Please help me... [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2010, 04:45
This post received
KUDOS
Are you using ErrLog template? If you don´t do it, I recommend that you do it, because is easier to identify the subject that you need to improve.

sureng wrote:
ALL,

I need your help in the way i am preparing for GMAT. Before nine months i prepared for GMAT for 2 months. I studied on my own and in practice tests (OG,MGMAT etc) i was getting consistently around 420(33Q 14V).

1. SC - Grammar rules
3. CR - Diagramming

After my course has completed i solved around 50% of OG 12 problems. For the questions that went wrong I always looked at explainations. I also do montior forums like beatthegmat,gmatclub and MGMAT.

I am hoping for a target score of 700+ in real GMAT. Hoping that i am going to perform better in real GMAT I have been taking practice tests (once a week) from last few days including GMAT Prep I, II and MGMAT tests (timed including AWA). Again i am back to normal, I am scoring consistently between 420-480(33-38 Q & 14-18 V).

I realized my biggest weak points while taking practice tests are in verbal:

1. CR - I try to follow MGMAT CR diagram approach and run out of time (2.15 minutes per CR question).

2. SC - under the pressure of 1.5 mintues per Q i get confused or select wrong choice.

3. From 25th to 41 question i am speeding up and making lots of mistakes. I am almost guessing on last RC passage(usually around 30th question) and on some tough CR questions.

4. when i review the practice tests i try to solve the wrong ones again and i can correctly solve the problem. Only under time pressure i am making mistakes.

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 201 [1] , given: 52

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT Practice test score 420-480. Please help me... [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2010, 05:46
This post received
KUDOS
i think that you didnt make to 70% of the classes probably hindered your learning quite a bit. Verbal wise you probably need to relearn the basics instead of error log since the score is so low and indicative of someone who hasnt mastered much at all. Quant you can try error log but that score is not very hot either. I think at this point you should focus on the basic material rather than tests - if you dont understand the basics the tests wont do too much to help your score. Since oyu have the mgmat books you should go over them and follow the given problem sets. AFTER you finished the books you can try a test and see how you do.

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Practice test score 420-480. Please help me... [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2010, 07:47
Thank you for your responses.

@whiplash2411 - I do understand the fundamentals but i am not doing well under timed constraints. May be i need to redo each exercise problems related to OG from MGMAT under timed conditions like 10Q 15 mins(SC), 10Q 20 mins(CR)etc. May be i need to rethink of a different strategy for CR. I am almost spending 1 minute in drawing a CR diagram.

@RVianna - i tried error log initially but got bored. I'll recheck on this one.

@shaselai - i attended all the classes. What i meant by 30% is i didn't do full 100% exercises for each session. As said i do understand concepts but i am not doing well under timed conditions.

guys as you all said I'll revisit all the basic topics for sure. I am unhappy as i have to spend at least another 2 months rereading:) I thought i would be at 600 level score and just need to practice couple of tests more to achieve 700+ score :)
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Followers: 340

Kudos [?]: 1394 [0], given: 194

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Practice test score 420-480. Please help me... [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2010, 09:28
I'd definitely advise you to switch strategies. A lot of people recommend the Powerscore Strategy. But I like the Veritas "SWIMMER" approach too. Go to a bookstore, look through these books, find out which one vibes with you better and follow it. DO NOT use a strategy that you feel is taking more time than it is worth.
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Practice test score 420-480. Please help me... [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2010, 10:00
@whiplash2411 - Sure. i'll change the approach as i am not seeing any advantages in the diagramming approach. Looks like i am spending time only to diagram the CR question and getting panicked while selecting the answer choice:)
Re: GMAT Practice test score 420-480. Please help me...   [#permalink] 03 Sep 2010, 10:00